Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentist that's good with nervous patients

• 12-03-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Looking to bite the bullet and get teeth checked out but im beyond terrified of dentists. Anyone know of any good ones near swords at all? Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Ratoath dental if its not too far for you

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purple Sheep

Found the folks at the Boroimhe Dental Practice really really good. Had my appointment with Dr Cunniffe and she did a great job making me at ease and keeping it painless. They've a page for nervous patients on their site as well, you might want to take a look (I didn't go with it but good to know it's an option!!).

https://www.boroimhedentalpractice.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The lovely Lyndsey McTavish, Main Street, Swords. I've been going to her since she arrived in Swords.

http://swords-dental.ie/our-team-swords/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Orla McGeary in Swords Dental Care is lovely, in fact all of the staff make you feel relaxed and at ease. Orla is very patient and gentle.

https://www.dentalcareireland.ie/practices/dentist-swords/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

I go to Ciara Cuniffe in Boroimhe Dental practice and am a terrified patient. Cried the first time I went. She is amazing. Can't recommend her highly enough. Not afraid of the dentist anymore. Seriously.... brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Orla McGeary in Swords Dental Care is lovely, in fact all of the staff make you feel relaxed and at ease. Orla is very patient and gentle.

https://www.dentalcareireland.ie/practices/dentist-swords/

Dizzy ya i ended up booking with orla. ive my first apt first thing in the morning. got a cancellation. Am bricking it!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Hey Dizzy. ya it was tough going. the easiest part of the whole thing was getting xray done. she did a clean which was good to get done but again a horrible thing to get through. so she has given me a perscription for a sedative for my next apt to get my fillings done. ive two teeth to get out inc my wisdom tooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

mollybird wrote: »
    Hey Dizzy. ya it was tough going. the easiest part of the whole thing was getting xray done. she did a clean which was good to get done but again a horrible thing to get through. so she has given me a perscription for a sedative for my next apt to get my fillings done. ive two teeth to get out inc my wisdom tooth.

Great! Thats very positive!!

I was a bit shocked recently when I went to my regular dentist (who is excellent with nervous patients) and her receptionist/nurse (who wasnt the usual one) was a bit free and easy with her chat while I was waiting and began to pontificate that people need to just "get over it" if they are afraid of the dentist and how she doesnt agree with sedation etc....

I challenged her on it there and then, and said that I would have thought that a medical professional (of all people) would surely think it was better that someone came and got their teeth attended to WITH sedation rather than never go at all through fear, and that telling someone to "get over it" is like telling someone with depression to cheer up.

I was (and still am) genuinely baffled that anyone working in a dentists could be so, ignorant.

I was so taken aback that I decided to change practice (I wouldnt be comfortable with a nurse attending me who was so flippant about people with dental phobia - which I have) but then it was brought to my attention (by the dentist) that this person was just covering someones holidays and wasnt a permanent staff member. I am due back in a couple of months so I intend to tell the dentist what happened so that they are aware of it - god knows who else with a phobia might have left them over it! And this is a practice that normally prides itself on dealing with nervous patients.

Anyway, best of luck with the rest of it - the first time is the worst, youll be grand now!

mollybird wrote: »

Well done - you went and that's a great start! The sedative will no doubt make a huge difference, and if you're happy with the dentist that really helps too. I'm not phobic, but I'd be nervous enough plus I have an inner ear problem that makes me feel like I'm moving most of the time. So going to the dentist isn't the easiest.
    I had to get quite a lot of work done last year and I just looked on each appointment as an hour out of my life, and tried to focus on a nice treat for afterwards or the next day. You can do it, and when your teeth are sorted you'll be delighted :)

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    Great! Thats very positive!!

I was a bit shocked recently when I went to my regular dentist (who is excellent with nervous patients) and her receptionist/nurse (who wasnt the usual one) was a bit free and easy with her chat while I was waiting and began to pontificate that people need to just "get over it" if they are afraid of the dentist and how she doesnt agree with sedation etc....

I challenged her on it there and then, and said that I would have thought that a medical professional (of all people) would surely think it was better that someone came and got their teeth attended to WITH sedation rather than never go at all through fear, and that telling someone to "get over it" is like telling someone with depression to cheer up.

I was (and still am) genuinely baffled that anyone working in a dentists could be so, ignorant.

I was so taken aback that I decided to change practice (I wouldnt be comfortable with a nurse attending me who was so flippant about people with dental phobia - which I have) but then it was brought to my attention (by the dentist) that this person was just covering someones holidays and wasnt a permanent staff member. I am due back in a couple of months so I intend to tell the dentist what happened so that they are aware of it - god knows who else with a phobia might have left them over it! And this is a practice that normally prides itself on dealing with nervous patients.

Anyway, best of luck with the rest of it - the first time is the worst, youll be grand now!

Omg that's awful - that person is in the wrong job! You're right to mention it next time because otherwise they might use them to fill in again. Dentists nowadays are all about reassuring nervous people. My generation had some horrific experiences with dentists when we were young so they really have their work cut out with us.

Advertisement