Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you were a kid you used to run funny

Options
  • 02-01-2019 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd set up a log as a bit of new year motivation for myself.

Mid 40s male signed up for DCM19 with a bit of work to do.

PBs:
    5km - never raced one
    10km - 51:42 in the DLR Bay Run 2017 (not a PB course)
    HM - 2:00:00 in the Dublin race series half 2018 (still to get that sub 2!)
    Marathon - 5:10:xx in DCM15 (race report here)

Will aim to update every Monday & will take any advice going on-board as I can't join a running club because it's a busy house with 4 kids where I squeeze my runs in when I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Thanks for the 'Thanks'
    Good to know at least 2 people are reading this ;)

Here are my goals for the year
    Get back up to 10 miles for the long run of the week (short term goal)

Beat 51 mins in the DLR Bay 10km (the only 10km race I usually do)

Get a sub 2 in the race series HM (best is 2:00:00)

Run the whole of the Dublin marathon (had a to walk a bit last time) - that should get me in around 4:30 but I don't care about the time really

Also need to lose weight but doing all of the above should make this happen!

Day Distance Pace Comment
    Wednesday 4 miles 10:08 min / mile First run in a while & the first run of the year

Thursday 4 miles 9:46 min / mile
    Saturday 7.3 miles 10:21 min / Mile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi Frash, welcome to logs. There's plenty here who aren't in clubs and also plenty who are managing busy households so you're in good company ;)

Are you following any kind of plan/structured running? How many times a week are you running?

Were those runs midweek recorded above supposed to be easy? If so, they seem a little fast for easy pace if you don't mind me saying. My HM time is a little faster than yours (1:52) and my easy pace is in the range roughly 10:00-11:00 min/m. It's always tempting to run quicker especially on shorter runs but you would do well to stick to easy pace running for a while (even just 6 weeks) until you have built up a decent base at which point then you could introduce some strides, fartlek, intervals or short hill repeats into one of your midweek runs for speed work. But maybe you already know all this...

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi Frash, welcome to logs. There's plenty here who aren't in clubs and also plenty who are managing busy households so you're in good company ;)

Are you following any kind of plan/structured running? How many times a week are you running?

Were those runs midweek recorded above supposed to be easy? If so, they seem a little fast for easy pace if you don't mind me saying. My HM time is a little faster than yours (1:52) and my easy pace is in the range roughly 10:00-11:00 min/m. It's always tempting to run quicker especially on shorter runs but you would do well to stick to easy pace running for a while (even just 6 weeks) until you have built up a decent base at which point then you could introduce some strides, fartlek, intervals or short hill repeats into one of your midweek runs for speed work. But maybe you already know all this...

Thanks for the reply & the input.

No I'm not following any specific plan. When I did the marathon in 2015 I followed the HHN1 plan and so was just going to try to go along with more or less that but over a longer period.

The pace wasn't supposed to be anything in particular. It's not an "easy pace" but it is a comfortable pace. Maybe I should slow down a bit though.

I'm planning on getting out 4 times a week.
    Lunchtime from work for 4 miles on Mondays & Thursdays with an evening run on a Tuesday of 6 miles.
    I'll get a longer run in then early on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

I'm not 100% on the differences between strides, fartlek & intervals to be honest but I do throw in the odd "sprint to the next lamppost" type thing on the odd lunchtime run but there's no system to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

frash wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply & the input.

No I'm not following any specific plan. When I did the marathon in 2015 I followed the boards plan and so was just going to try to go along with more or less that but over a longer period.

The pace wasn't supposed to be anything in particular. It's not an "easy pace" but it is a comfortable pace. Maybe I should slow down a bit though.

I'm planning on getting out 4 times a week.
    Lunchtime from work for 4 miles on Mondays & Thursdays with an evening run on a Tuesday of 6 miles.
    I'll get a longer run in then early on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

I'm not 100% on the differences between strides, fartlek & intervals to be honest but I do throw in the odd "sprint to the next lamppost" type thing on the odd lunchtime run but there's no system to it.

This is fartlek then and it's a great way to throw in a bit of speed without pressure. I would keep doing that on one of your easy/lunchtime runs every week. Aside from that i'd probably recommend keeping the other runs in the 'easy' range for you, you can use a pace calculator to work that pace out based on a recent enough race time if you have one. There are different pace calculators, McMillian is popular, a lot of boardsies use Tinman. If you haven't checked out Parkrun then it's a great way to run a timed 5k for free! There's a lot more knowledgeable folks than me around here if you post questions you'll get good answers. Best of luck.

ariana` wrote: »
    This is fartlek then and it's a great way to throw in a bit of speed without pressure. I would keep doing that on one of your easy/lunchtime runs every week. Aside from that i'd probably recommend keeping the other runs in the 'easy' range for you, you can use a pace calculator to work that pace out based on a recent enough race time if you have one. There are different pace calculators, McMillian is popular, a lot of boardsies use Tinman. If you haven't checked out Parkrun then it's a great way to run a timed 5k for free! There's a lot more knowledgeable folks than me around here if you post questions you'll get good answers. Best of luck.

Ah ok thanks - according to TinMan, based on the half I did in Sept, the pace I've been doing is in the "easy tempo" range so will try to slow it down a bit.

I'll also aim to do more lampposts fartleks on the Thursday lunchtime run.

• Advertisement

Monday 4 miles 9:46 min/mile This was before the advice above to slow down
    Tuesday 6.3 miles 11:06 min/mile 10k Tuesday ®
    Thursday 4 miles 10:32 min/mile Easy pace with 4 * 100m fartleks
    Saturday 7.7 miles 10:55 min/mile

Only got 3 runs in this week as calf muscle was a bit tender after the Tuesday run so took an extra day off

Monday 4 miles 10:31 min / mile
    Tuesday 6.1 miles 11:19 min / mile 10k Tuesday ®
    Saturday 8.3 miles 10:42 min / mile

Monday 4 miles 10:24 min / mile
    Tuesday 6 miles 11:03 min / mile I’ve noticed this is usually my slowest run of the week. It’s the only one I do in the evening & it’s also a couple of hours after dinner so presume that’s why.

Thursday 3 miles 10:21 min / mile Couldn’t do the usual 4 miles at lunchtime as some fecker called a meeting in work during the lunch zone.

Saturday 8.3 miles 10:24 min / mile

Monday 4 miles 9:59 min / mile
    Tuesday 6 miles 10:22 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 9:17 min / mile Faster than I should have done but it was freezing!
    Saturday 8.6 miles 10:33 min / mile

The whole week was probably a faster pace than I should have been doing but it was cold and I just couldn't run slow!

Monday 4 miles 10:21 min / mile
    Tuesday 5.9 miles 10:57 min / mile
    Thursday 3 miles 9:57 min / mile Another lunchtime meeting :( so a shorter run
    Saturday 9.3 10:31 min / miles

• Advertisement

Monday 4 miles 10:20 min/mile
    Thursday 4 miles 10:20 min/mile New runners :cool:
    Saturday 9 miles 10:24 min/mile

Only got 3 runs in this week

Monday 4 miles 10:08 min / mile Birthday run :cool:
    Tuesday 4 miles 9:59 min / mile Too fast – not sure why
    Thursday 4 miles 10:13 min / mile
    Saturday 6 miles 10:04 min / mile Shorter than I’d have liked. Didn’t get up early enough & had to be back for kids’ GAA.

Bad couple of weeks running wise between sicks kids & a trip abroad

Thursday 5.1 miles 10:10 min/mile

Tuesday 5.8 miles 10:28 min / mile
    Saturday 9.4 miles 10:44 min / mile

Hopefully get back on track this week

Only got 3 runs in the week as Mrs Frash was off doing a HM in Lisbon

Monday 4 miles ?? Forgot to charge my watch
    Tuesday 6 miles 10:37 min / mile
    Friday 6 miles 10:23 min / mile

Finally back to 4 runs in a week.
    Also got to 10 miles for the LSR which was one of my goals for the first 1/4 of the year

Tuesday 6 miles 10:42 min / mile
    Wednesday 4 miles 10:31 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 10:44 min / mile New runners
    Saturday 10 miles 10:47 min / mile

Monday 4 miles 10:41 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 10:41 min / mile
    Saturday 9 miles 10:39 min / mile

Consistent pace without actually trying!

Monday 4 miles 10:41 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 10:24 min / mile
    Saturday 6 miles 10:31 min / mile

Only 3 runs again this week
    Roll on the Summer when the kids activities take a break!

Monday 4 miles 10:46 min / mile
    Tuesday 6 miles 10:50 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 9:44 min / mile
    Saturday 6 miles 10:55 min / miles

Disrupted runs over the Easter break but a couple of 8 milers in there

Tuesday 3 miles 10:21 min / mile
    Wednesday 4 miles 10:12 min / mile
    Saturday 8 miles 10:28 min / mile

Monday 6 miles 11:53 min / mile Had an 8 year old with me for the 1st 5km - hence the slower pace
    Wednesday 8 miles 10:32 min / mile

4 runs this week - up to 11 miles now on the long run (probably too fast in hindsight)

Monday 4 miles 10:12 min / mile
    Tuesday 6 miles 11:05 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 10:44 min / mile
    Saturday 11 miles 10:29 min / miles

• Advertisement

4 runs this week - didn't get a longer run in though

Monday 6 miles 10:37 min / mile
    Wednesday 3 miles 10:08 min / mile Lunchtime meetings! :(
    Thursday 4 miles 10:12 min / mile
    Saturday 6 miles 11:03 min / miles

Monday 4 miles 10:52 min / mile
    Tuesday 6 miles 10:24 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 10:42 min / mile
    Saturday 12 miles 10:55 min / miles Longest run this time around

Monday 3 miles 10:37 min / mile
    Tuesday 6.5 miles 10:42 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 10:28 min / mile
    Saturday 7 miles 10:49 min / miles

Monday 4 miles 10:22 min / mile
    Tuesday 5 miles 10:47 min / mile
    Thursday 4 miles 10:35 min / mile
    Saturday 10.7 miles 10:48 min / miles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Do you have any races planned in the near future? Aside from a recent flurry, I'd do less racing than most, but I still find it useful to have a short-term target, as well as the long-term goal of DCM. It helps with the week-to-week motivation, and importantly, gives you an idea of how you are progressing. Plus, races are great experiences.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Do you have any races planned in the near future? Aside from a recent flurry, I'd do less racing than most, but I still find it useful to have a short-term target, as well as the long-term goal of DCM. It helps with the week-to-week motivation, and importantly, gives you an idea of how you are progressing. Plus, races are great experiences.

I'm signed up for the Dun Laoghaire 10km in August. I know it's not in "the plan" but it's my local race and try to do it every year.

I've also signed up for the race series half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

frash wrote: »
    I'm signed up for the Dun Laoghaire 10km in August. I know it's not in "the plan" but it's my local race and try to do it every year.

I've also signed up for the race series half.

That's perfect, it's recommended to do a few races during the training block, whether they align with the ones in the plan or not doesn't matter too much, it's easy enough adjust.

Not a great week running-wise between being away for the bank holiday & then work stuff. Hopefully back to 4 runs this week.

Wednesday 5 miles 10:12 min / mile Too fast but wanted to sneak in an extra mile into a busy week
    Saturday 6 miles 10:45 min / miles

Tried to slow it down a lot this week but not sure if it's too slow

Monday 5 miles 11:15 min / mile
    Tuesday 5 miles 11:14 min / mile
    Saturday 11.5 miles 11:21 min / mile

Edit - just checked Tinman and the above is in the easy / moderate range
    Easy is even slower!

• Advertisement