Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re Ban

Options
  • 30-12-2018 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭

I have just been given a ban from a moderator for making an honest error in replying on the "Football humour" thread who clearly has some sort of petty issue with me because I questioned his double standards yesterday in his moderation and reported a series of posts which he refused to review and told me he was going to bed and ask someone else to deal with it (some of which were making jokes about Madeline McCann, others that were clearly baiting fans of a certain football club with clear intention to provoke them)

Now it isn't the end of the world obviously but you begin to lose faith when you are subject to such pettiness.

I imagine the mod deleting the post or asking me to do same is fair enough. My post was civil, in keeping with the humor of a light hearted thread and, to be honest it was in itself a humourous post which referenced another.

Considering the serious trouble, baiting, abuse, language, accusations, defamation, etc that goes on on Boards,ie, is this really really worthy of a ban.

This moderator Thanks For The Fish obviously knew what he was at when using this as a reason to ban me. It is childish to go down that road. I have an honest and fair input onto threads and am not troublemaker so I think it is downright petty for this so called moderator to do this.

I apologise for making an honest mistake by postin in the thread. I wouldn't call it chat anyway, it was a post referencing a tweet. Nothing that would derail a thread or cause trouble.

If that is the level of petty targetting of posters (out of clear vindictiveness) moderation that is really pathetic given some of the stuff that goes on on Boards.

I would appreciate a proper reply to this also, not a copy and paste one.

Ridiculous stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

And I also don't want this moderator dealing with this dispute, clearly now has an issue with me and personally biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The first step in the Dispute process is for you to contact the mod and attempt to work it out between yourselves. A lot of issues can be sorted with a simple chat.

Can you confirm if you have completed or attempted this first step?

dudara wrote: »
    The first step in the Dispute process is for you to contact the mod and attempt to work it out between yourselves. A lot of issues can be sorted with a simple chat.

Can you confirm if you have completed or attempted this first step?

Yes I have. And he/she is clearly not going to have a civil discussion and hear me out fairly about a clearly honest and harmless error.

Have a look yourself and tell me, without being pedantic is that post worthy of a ban.

Let us have a fair chat here.

He said my post was reported by a user which I don't believe for a minute happened as I amn't naive. It is obvious what happened here. The sheer coincidence is ridiculous.

Now said moderator has conveniently turned the initial yellow card from 24 hours ago which caused the whole issue into a full warning to suit his ban agenda!!

It is actually a parody at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi, The Talking Bread.

The mod has posted his side of the pm exchange in the soccer mods forum.

Can you be kind enough to post and/or forward any relevant pm's to me so I can ensure none are missed. I will then investigate the matter.

Ta.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've just deleted a post and response from the OP. Please note only the OP, CMod, Admins or someone invited to contribute by CMod or Admin to a dispute thread can post here

Thanks

Steve wrote: »
    Hi, The Talking Bread.

The mod has posted his side of the pm exchange in the soccer mods forum.

Can you be kind enough to post and/or forward any relevant pm's to me so I can ensure none are missed. I will then investigate the matter.

Ta.

What PMs are y7ou looking for? Surely the moderator has access to the whole conversation.

All I wish for you is to have a look at the post I was banned for on the humour thread. An innocently posted harmless, civil, friendly and to be honest, not out of kilter with the thread tone (humour thread). It was merely acknowledging the photo and giving some background. I wasn't launching into a debate or initiating any sort of correspondence.
    I just think out of a bit of spirit, and to appreciate it was an honest and non troublesome post that the mod could have just deleted it, explained the error on my behalf and move on. Is it really worth the friction and pettiness to ban me for this?
    Noone is being burdened by jut letting an honest mistake go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

To be clear, which of these actions are you appealing?

30/12/2018 19:03:27 Soccer Ban(One Day) Breach of Forum Charter Note: No chat in the humour thread please. Thanx 4 The Fish
    29/12/2018 14:10:35 Soccer Warning Uncivil Note: Accusations of trolling are in breach of the charter; Thanx 4 The Fish

Steve wrote: »
    To be clear, which of these actions are you appealing?

30/12/2018 19:03:27 Soccer Ban(One Day) Breach of Forum Charter Note: No chat in the humour thread please. Thanx 4 The Fish
    29/12/2018 14:10:35 Soccer Warning Uncivil Note: Accusations of trolling are in breach of the charter; Thanx 4 The Fish

The humour thread one. The other one clearly won't be overturned.

• Advertisement

The humour thread one. The other one clearly won't be overturned.

OK, that makes it easy tbh.

Your post there was
    It is his sister in law's wedding as well !! I initially thought it could have been a surprise fan thing! Or a wedding reception in London stadium that he was passing by and dragged into for the laugh! (you can rent areas in the stadium out for weddings)

His wife is on one of those reality shows.

And it was in response to another post so was clearly 'chat' which is a rule breach. So I am upholding that action.
    Now said moderator has conveniently turned the initial yellow card from 24 hours ago which caused the whole issue into a full warning to suit his ban agenda!!

It is actually a parody at this stage.
    This is a more serious allegation of moderator misconduct, and is something that is decided on at admin level, let me (or admin) know if you wish to continue with it.

Mod action upheld, you may appeal to admin as per the DRP process.

ridiculous. Such a pathetic reason to ban someone. Innocent mistake. Moderators should and supposedly can clearly have discretion to take things into perspective if they have the ability to, see things in more than the pedantic form they can view it within "rules" and come to a bit of common sense that it wasn't a post worthy of a ban.

Applaud yourself. Boards would be out of business if you adhered to such strict dictatorship. For a bit of peace sake you could have let this one go and moved on. Delete the post. The post was harmless and innocent, civil and was not chat in that i wasn't enaging in conversation, just referencing a photo on the internet. . It was actually, if you want to be pedantic just putting out a humorous fact. Basically copy and pasted "piece of humour". Nothing opinion based and not an attempt to start a "chat".
    My first post on the thread so clearly it wasn't anywhere near a intentional way to break the rules.

Steve has reviewed and upheld the ban. Please let me know if you wish for an Admin review, as per the dispute process.

dudara wrote: »
    Steve has reviewed and upheld the ban. Please let me know if you wish for an Admin review, as per the dispute process.

Yes.

It is principle at this stage.

My post was an innocent humourous fact referencing a humorous photo. By banning me for this they are making it out to be ill intentioned. I just think in the grander scheme of things when you take all into account any right minded individual would let it go.
    An honest mistake taking far too seriously. The nonsense that goes on on Boards, abuse, provoking posters, bad language, laughing at serious issues, racism etc and you choose this as worthy of a ban. Ut beggars belief.

I have reviewed the post in question. Unfortunately it’s very cut and dried.

The thread title is quite explicit and very clear that no chat/discussion is allowed. It’s also very clear that the sanction for breach of the rule is a 24 hour ban. This is all clearly detailed in the opening post.

The Humour Thread **Chat/Discussion = 24 Hour Ban, Mod Notes Post 1 (26/11)

I understand your dissatisfaction with this ban, but the rules are very clear in this case.

Decision upheld and thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement