Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air vent and loud winds

• 18-12-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

We moved to a new house few months ago and it wasn't up until few weeks back, with winds picking up lately, that we noticed quite a big issue with the house for us - both bedrooms have typical air vents (similar to what one of the posters already put on Boards: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/atta...&d=1487073164). With winds going above 50 km/h the sound coming through this vents started influencing our sleep.

I went ahead and changed the vent in master bedroom with something like THIS and while it did help it's still extremely loud when winds do pick up (like last night which woke us up and kept us awake for almost an hour). Now, we could buy ear plugs, but rather than getting used to those we were thinking about putting something in the air vent hole which basically doesn't have anything in it (although, wouldn't it make sense if they incorporated some kind of "maze" to prevent the sound, but allow air to go in/out?).

Not sure what would be the way to go - I'm afraid to put something "spongy" as it could hold on to humidity and help creating mold etc so maybe egg carton, bubble wrap or something similar, "plastic" would be better? Any ideas?

Just to note, there is no issues with heating the place although one can feel a bit of a breeze coming through this, but nothing that would call for concern. Also, humidity levels in the house are between 45 and 55 most of the time which seem pretty much perfect.

Really appreciate any help as missus is getting restless day after day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

I've stuck an old t-shirt into my bedroom vent and just covered my sitting room vent with cardboard. That was 10 years ago, no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

fran38 wrote: »
    I've stuck an old t-shirt into my bedroom vent and just covered my sitting room vent with cardboard. That was 10 years ago, no issues.

That's a very bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There are vents for a reason.

It's usually down to the plastic pipe used between the blocks that amplifies the sound.

Fit a cover inside to make the air flow go towards the ceiling and maybe the cover outside could be changed to a different type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stuff like this OP lands you in hospital with Respiratory problems later in life - dont do this OP

OP, What is inside the vent, is it just a rectangular cutout in block? or is it a 4 Inch Pipe ducting? Depending on the makeup of the hole itself there are options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Thank you all for your help!
    listermint wrote: »
    Stuff like this OP lands you in hospital with Respiratory problems later in life - dont do this OP

OP, What is inside the vent, is it just a rectangular cutout in block? or is it a 4 Inch Pipe ducting? Depending on the makeup of the hole itself there are options.

There is nothing and that's the problem - flat barrier on the outside, straight plastic pipe in between (see HERE) and then plastic closing I've put that can be closed but as mentioned before doesn't help much (see HERE). Originally I thought I would find some "maze-like filling" that could be put in there in Woodies or similar but they don't have it so any DIY suggestions or links are more than welcome!
    heffo500 wrote: »

This first one is the only alternative I had in mind, but as per my contract I need to ask for approval from both my landlord and residential area board for any "exterior change to the house" which is more likely to go through, but is quite a bother and was hoping I can avoid it (even if I pay for it myself)...

That's a circular vent it should have circular fittings. This is the lazy nonsense we see constantly in this country including new builds. The vent cover let's air in all over the place rather than controlling it.

Various threads in here about vents in the last three weeks have a read. You should get a circular baffle for inside he vent and a circular cover for the internal vent . Leave the external as is.

That's a circular vent it should have circular fittings. This is the lazy nonsense we see constantly in this country including new builds.

That's not necessarily the case. If you look at the FRESH 90 WALL VENT on this page (and in particular the details in the data sheet)....

http://www.iconbp.ie/anti-draught-wall-vents/

...you can see that by using a rectangular fitting with a larger circumference that the pipe, they can include a filter system which doesn't reduce the equivalent area despite limiting and redirecting airflow along the wall rather than out into the room.

But that's just one example, so I'd take your point about sloppy solutions in general. I've also possibly misunderstood your point; I'm not intending to be argumentative.

Lumen wrote: »
    That's not necessarily the case. If you look at the FRESH 90 WALL VENT on this page (and in particular the details in the data sheet)....

http://www.iconbp.ie/anti-draught-wall-vents/

...you can see that by using a rectangular fitting with a larger circumference that the pipe, they can include a filter system which doesn't reduce the equivalent area despite limiting and redirecting airflow along the wall rather than out into the room.

But that's just one example, so I'd take your point about sloppy solutions in general. I've also possibly misunderstood your point; I'm not intending to be argumentative.

What you linked there is a vent system incorporated into it component piping.

What the OP has and what is commonly put in is a ****e rectangular vent slopped on over a 4 inch pipe.

The pipe should be fitted externally and internally with matching 4 inch fittings. This is being done resulting in unnecessary drafts and shoddy looking ventilation.

That's a circular vent it should have circular fittings. This is the lazy nonsense we see constantly in this country including new builds. The vent cover let's air in all over the place rather than controlling it.

Various threads in here about vents in the last three weeks have a read. You should get a circular baffle for inside he vent and a circular cover for the internal vent . Leave the external as is.

I did search old threads, but can't really identify what you're calling "circular baffle for inside the vent" > if not a bother, could you link an example or two?

When it comes to "circular cover", while I agree it would look better with that in general, as there was some painting done post-setting the rectangular one this wouldn't be nicest solution visually. I'm still willing to change it but do you feel/know this would help to decrease the noise level (there are no real issues with the cold)?

Thx for all the help lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

unscrew the vent from the inside and simply stuff it with a towel etc, air will still get through. Its simply ridiculous the size of the holes they put in the wall, you might aswell be leaving the window open! Id take it out as soon as the bad weather phase passes, but during the winter, the heat loss and wind noise are ridiculous!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    unscrew the vent from the inside and simply stuff it with a towel etc, air will still get through. Its simply ridiculous the size of the holes they put in the wall, you might aswell be leaving the window open! Id take it out as soon as the bad weather phase passes, but during the winter, the heat loss and wind noise are ridiculous!

Don't do this ever.

Just don't. Anyone who advises this sort of crap needs a slap on the back of the head. Never block a vent.

It can be bad for your health if not plain bloody dangerous if you have a fire or stove. People need to cop on giving such stupid advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I drilled and screwed a piece of timber, slightly bigger than the vent cover, over the outside vent. I put in one inch spacers ( pieces of timber ) between the cover and main piece of timber. Paint the wood with gloss paint and the job's a good un. It prevents the wind from hitting the vent face on, while still allowing air circulation

By baffle did you mean something like THIS or?

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    By baffle did you mean something like THIS or?

Aye

Aye

After a bit of investigation and reading the reviews on various backdraught shutters, namely THIS, I got an impression that, if I was to put this in the vent pipe without having fan on the inside I would essentially just close-off the vent which is the same effect as simply stuffing the shirt, not? (essentially preventing air flow)...

I know I'm overthinking it but it's really hard to find a solution for something that at first seemed like a trivial issue (as I thought there is some kind of "filling" available that adds maze to the pipe preventing/lowering the sound/wind from the outside)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

It can be bad for your health if not plain bloody dangerous if you have a fire or stove.

So get a carbon monoxide alarm and a dehumidifier. Holes in the wall? Really?

Nermal wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that permanently open vents are required by law in rooms with combustion appliances,
    what happens when the pressure at the top of your flue is greater than in the room?

Dehumidifiers are a crap solution to a lack of ventilation.

It doesn't take much energy to heat fresh air.

Nermal wrote: »

Its this sort of I'll informed stuff thats dam well dangerous.

Uneducated people spouting stuff they know nothing about .

Yes , there has been multiple deaths this year from bad advice such as that you just gave.

Smug...

I appreciate the discussion on weather shirt in a wall is good or bad, but at this point I'm quite perplexed on the solution as I feel I'm back where I started taking into account I was told that previously though solution isn't a solution for vents without a fan (hence my case), so other than the above "close the hole" there seems to be no real solution for these kind of issues other than putting vent cover from the outside like THIS which was what I was trying to avoid in the first place...

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, last evening I was once again awoken by the wind, so as I don't want to stuff my shirt in there, and I don't see any other "easy" solution I'll have to get some kind of handy man over to check it out...

Baffle and tighter vent circular vent.

You've a perfect hole for this setup.

Baffle and tighter vent circular vent.

You've a perfect hole for this setup.

As per above, I was told that baffle like THIS isn't a solution if I don't have a vent as it's going to close of air circulation creating same as if I would just stiff something in - or did I get it wrong?

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    As per above, I was told that baffle like THIS isn't a solution if I don't have a vent as it's going to close of air circulation creating same as if I would just stiff something in - or did I get it wrong?

There are different types.

I think this type, for instance, is open with no air flow, it's the backdraught that closes it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100mm-Extractor-Draught-Shutter-Spring/dp/B00A50NDEU/

(I'm not recommending this product, just FYI)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

What about something like this

I have never used this, so not a recommendation, but it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Google hooded cowl vent cover. Should stop noises during extreme wind conditions.

I think this type, for instance, is open with no air flow, it's the backdraught that closes it.

spot on

People seem to say that spring is too weak to close, which could work in my favor. If the below doesn't work I'll order this one and try it out, thanks!
    What about something like this

I have never used this, so not a recommendation, but it might help.

This looks like something I was after so I'll order this one first and report how it worked out...
    hatchman wrote: »
    Google hooded cowl vent cover. Should stop noises during extreme wind conditions.

Yeah, that was my first plan, but I need engagement from landlords which I'm trying to avoid if possible. But will be my last resort! Much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm going to hijack a little here, but what are the options for someone with older style unsealed-square-hole-in-the-wall vents?

I've posted here before about condensation issues and the recommendation was that because the vents let the air flow in between block work, behind plasterboard, etc, that they were pretty crap and the only way to improve airflow was to ensure the vent was sealed between the room and the outside.

It it basically a case of putting new covers on the outside and inside, attached with 4-inch ducting and sealing them up?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I'm going to hijack a little here, but what are the options for someone with older style unsealed-square-hole-in-the-wall vents?

I've posted here before about condensation issues and the recommendation was that because the vents let the air flow in between block work, behind plasterboard, etc, that they were pretty crap and the only way to improve airflow was to ensure the vent was sealed between the room and the outside.

It it basically a case of putting new covers on the outside and inside, attached with 4-inch ducting and sealing them up?

Pretty much, You can get rectangular ducting also to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

seamus wrote: »

Hi Seamus, here's a job I did on the back room last year when doing it up that may be of assistance. Builder didn't even break a hole in the plasterboard opposite the external vent so had to realign that to being with. Didn't have any 4" pipe to hand at the time so got the predecessor to this in Goodwins (that link is the new and improved version that blocks out light also) and sealed around the pipe itself with expanding foam. Pipe is 5" so plenty of air flow and left a little fall outwards in case any rain got through the external grill or moisture build up in the pipe itself.

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/anti-draught-black-hole-ventilator-bm725-white-3461398.html?name=ventilator&type=simple

f9C3UbY.jpg, 1afsndf.jpg,e91ESNT.jpg,5DWiSkx.jpg,jgO7gY4.jpg,EmUnbjS.jpg,Pm6JPVn.jpg,SOSBaky.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Black hole vent is what I was thinking from the first post, glad someone got there eventually :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wowvifvthe builders can't get it right then we are doomed.

What is the equivalent area of that black hole vent? The free area is listed as 3,000mm2. Is that the equivalent area?

Even if it is, one of them per room won't be enough to meet background ventilation regs even in a leaky house. Neither will two for habitable rooms.

Ventilation example from TGD F (2009)
    Example 1 – Background ventilation for 130m2 Two-Storey Semi-detached House, Air Permeability > 5m3/(h.m2)
    3 Bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1 Utility, 1 Sitting room, 1 Kitchen, 1 Dining room, 1 Downstairs WC

Wholehouse ventilation rate = 30,000mm2 + 5,000mm2 per 10m2 >70 m2

130m2 -70m2 =60m2

. Therefore wholehouse background equivalent area reqd. = 30,000+ (6 x 5,000)=60,000mm2
    . Similar equivalent areas of vents should be distributed on opposite sides of the dwelling to maximize cross ventilation.

For example this can be distributed through house as follows:
    Habitable rooms= 5 x 8,000 mm2
    Bathroom, Utility, Kitchen, Downstairs WC= 4 x 5,000mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I had a similar problem in my house and I fitted these - they are operated by a built-in CO2 detector which opens and closes the vent as needed. No power source required, just a straight swap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Had standard holes in the wall air vent in my house. Cold air blasted in all winter. Did a ton of reading and ended up putting adjustable interior vent covers in, flexible metal ducting, and on outside I put these draught reducing vents - DR21 - link below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DR21-air-vents-12-Black/dp/B071WHR346

Difference is night and day from last winter. Rooms much warmer, the vent baffles strong draughts and if there is a storm / very strong winds, I'll temporarily close the vent inside - takes 5 seconds. I never close the vent in the room with the stove.

The DR21 thing has done a lot but the other thing is that the ducting makes sure the cold air is not going between the walls and essentially sucking the heat out the walls and the house - any air coming in goes directly through the ducting into the room. Put expanding foam all around the ducting inside the wall.

In the jacks is an extractor fan which had no ducting - did same job on that and also put a one way baffle inside the ducting - does the job nicely. The DR21 thing worked with the extractor fan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What are peoples thoughts on trickle vents installed in windows as opposed to wall vents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Have a similar problem.
    Bought a house recently and the vents are blocked up.
    A bit of foam on the inside and what looks like a membrane on the inside of the outer vent.

What's the membrane? Can it be broken to allow air in. Getting mould in the room.

All the other rooms are the same except no mould!!

Have a similar problem.
    Bought a house recently and the vents are blocked up.
    A bit of foam on the inside and what looks like a membrane on the inside of the outer vent.

What's the membrane? Can it be broken to allow air in. Getting mould in the room.

All the other rooms are the same except no mould!!

best option is to put in piping that closes out air into the cavity and put in appropriate grills on either end.

Pipe can be simple 4 Inch waste pipe or rectangular PVC pipe depending on your opening.

the pipe shape will dicate the grills.

As per the thread there are various options including putting baffles in the pipe and also external vent cowel deflectors.

and internally you could opt for mechanical vent covers which are non powered but open and close based on humidty Aeroco in Cork do some of these units. Not as cheap as a normal grill but depends on your budget.

1 think is for sure ventilation is needed in a house. either passively or mechanically and blocking any vents up will cause problems right away (mould) or in future - respiratory issues. you as a human are not designed to inhabit a dwelling without regular air circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

best option is to put in piping that closes out air into the cavity and put in appropriate grills on either end.

Pipe can be simple 4 Inch waste pipe or rectangular PVC pipe depending on your opening.

the pipe shape will dicate the grills.

As per the thread there are various options including putting baffles in the pipe and also external vent cowel deflectors.

and internally you could opt for mechanical vent covers which are non powered but open and close based on humidty Aeroco in Cork do some of these units. Not as cheap as a normal grill but depends on your budget.

1 think is for sure ventilation is needed in a house. either passively or mechanically and blocking any vents up will cause problems right away (mould) or in future - respiratory issues. you as a human are not designed to inhabit a dwelling without regular air circulation.

There are pipes in the holes. I'll need to look at it this weekend. Ive broken the seal on the outside vent but need to take the vent off to see exactly what it is.

It's like plastic membrane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

It's like plastic membrane

Possible insect barrier.

Advertisement