Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartwatch for voice calls without requiring phone?

Options
  • 07-12-2018 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭

I was out the other night and forgot my phone, but had my Fitbit on and thought it would be excellent if I had a watch that I could use a SIM card with to make calls/text messages without needing a phone.

It was actually a pleasure not having the phone in my pocket all the time, or having to worry about losing it.

Did a quick Google and found a few options but the articles were around 2016, so any recommendations on a watch with decent battery life that can be used to make phone calls/text messages WITHOUT a phone?

I take it we don't have the option to use 2 SIM cards with the same number so I'd probably just have to use the watch to make calls, and my phone for all other multimedia.

EDIT: actually found this article after I posted: http://www.smartwatches4u.com/news/Top-Standalone-Smartwatches

Anyone have experience with any of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It's pointless here because you can't have 2 Sims with the same number like you can in other areas. I have a Huawei smartwatch and could've gotten the slightly more expensive one with a Sim slot but it's something I definitely would never use. I don't even use Google Assistant in mine like I do with my smartphone. I just use it for notifications

some of those watches use e-sims (software not physical sim cards) which I don't think are available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's pointless here because you can't have 2 Sims with the same number like you can in other areas. I have a Huawei smartwatch and could've gotten the slightly more expensive one with a Sim slot but it's something I definitely would never use. I don't even use Google Assistant in mine like I do with my smartphone. I just use it for notifications

To be honest I rarely use my phone for voice calls.. just use Whatsapp, so on the occasion when I do need to make phone calls the watch would probably suffice so I could keep the SIM card in the watch.

It would be handy on a night out or gigging etc. You could literally just have your Debit card, and the watch and no need to carry anything else :)

mrcheez wrote: »
    To be honest I rarely use my phone for voice calls.. just use Whatsapp, so on the occasion when I do need to make phone calls the watch would probably suffice so I could keep the SIM card in the watch.

It would be handy on a night out or gigging etc. You could literally just have your Debit card, and the watch and no need to carry anything else :)

With Google pay you don't even need the debit card. I've used it a few times using my watch

What sort of battery life would I be looking at for these? I'm used to the 10-14 days of the Fitbit ... but don't mind if it has to drop down to 3 days or thereabouts

• Advertisement

this might be an option

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Watch-Sport-Smartwatch-Black/dp/B06Y68678G?th=1

you'd have to swap sim cards though.

you can't pass connectivity from the watch to the phone.

battery life on smartwatches is bad - there is a lot more going on to draw power especially with cellular connectivity being used than a fitbit and the battery has to be tiny to fit in a watch.

1 day max or less for heavy usage.

glasso wrote: »
    this might be an option

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Watch-Sport-Smartwatch-Black/dp/B06Y68678G?th=1

you'd have to swap sim cards though.

you can't pass connectivity from the watch to the phone.

I have the non Sim version

What sort of battery life would I be looking at for these? I'm used to the 10-14 days of the Fitbit ... but don't mind if it has to drop down to 3 days or thereabouts

A day is the max for any of these. It's doing a lot more than a Fitbit. I charge mine nightly, I have a docking cradle for it beside my bed. This doesn't bother me because I wouldn't wear a watch in bed anyways.

A day is the max for any of these. It's doing a lot more than a Fitbit. I charge mine nightly, I have a docking cradle for it beside my bed. This doesn't bother me because I wouldn't wear a watch in bed anyways.

Right... yeah I guess you need to make sacrifices for the portability.

Can you use a bluetooth headset to make/accept calls?

Would be handy to have a pair of in-ear buds in your pocket for listening to music and making calls private.

I'll need to also invest in a Dick Tracey style trenchcoat and hat to complete the look

I have the non Sim version

I was replying to the OP

• Advertisement

Right... yeah I guess you need to make sacrifices for the portability.

Can you use a bluetooth headset to make/accept calls?

Would be handy to have a pair of in-ear buds in your pocket for listening to music and making calls private.

I'll need to also invest in a Dick Tracey style trenchcoat and hat to complete the look

yes bluetooth earbuds / headphones to make calls.

yes bluetooth earbuds / headphones to make calls.

Recommendations on any in-ear buds to go along with this?

Something small enough that I could carry them around in my pocket all day when not in use.

... aaaaand bought!

Thanks lads... first step in setting up my spy network

... aaaaand bought!

Thanks lads... first step in setting up my spy network

let us know how you get on - you bought the 4G version that takes the sim card yes?

let us know how you get on - you bought the 4G version that takes the sim card yes?

Yep. The one linked earlier, plus the Bluetooth headphones and threw in an extra charging cable for office

Yep

that's not a bad price - was a lot more expensive at launch for the sim card one.

as I said would be interested to see how you get on.

take care on the battery life - definitely have it charged up fully before heading out.

you can also of course use it for notifications connected to your phone by bluetooth when the sim is in your phone.

btw - you won't as far as I know be able to use whatsapp on the watch to send messages - you can receive them on the watch when connected to the phone.

i.e. you can't load up whatsapp on the watch directly

although there is some conflicting information here - not sure - you'll find out when you get it

https://www.soyacincau.com/2017/07/24/huawei-watch-2-malaysia-4g-lte-review/3/

somebody has managed to do it here in spanish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAwP6HmNlmU

would be pretty hard to type accurately on that tho I would say.

Yeah that's fine. SMS will do when away from phone.

This is gonna be great for Spotify everywhere. I hate carrying a phone around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dele

Is an android smartwatch better? and which one would you recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dele

Yeah that's fine. SMS will do when away from phone.

This is gonna be great for Spotify everywhere. I hate carrying a phone around.

Yes i do agree. I kinda prefer Apple and Google music tho

• Advertisement

Dele wrote: »
    Is an android smartwatch better? and which one would you recommend

this huawei watch 2 4g is the only option for the poster as he wants an actual phone in the watch (takes a physical sim card).

most people are using watches in conjunction with the phone, not as actual phones.

there are lots of choices on android - none are perfect imo

was interested in the battery life on this and here's some info about how to improve battery life by disabling some apps that you might not need to be using

https://forum.xda-developers.com/watch-2/how-to/discussion-post-battery-life-bt-4g-t3614861

Typing on the watch won't be a problem as I'll just dictate what I want to say, or I'm sure you can pre-load common things like "Where are you?" Etc

Did I see u could load Mario64 on this??

Typing on the watch won't be a problem as I'll just dictate what I want to say, or I'm sure you can pre-load common things like "Where are you?" Etc

Did I see u could load Mario64 on this??

I see that - just a gimmick - not really playable.

I remember that you could run doom on a tiny mp3 player that I had before also

https://youtu.be/YC5XNK30v0A?t=58

Lol I wonder if you can pair a Bluetooth controller to it :)

Lol I wonder if you can pair a Bluetooth controller to it :)

trying to get a bluetooth controller to work with android is a nightmare - nevermind with a watch.

trying to get a bluetooth controller to work with android is a nightmare - nevermind with a watch.

Works fine with my Go, but perhaps that's a custom version of Android.

Aren't Android-compatible gamepads common enough?

Works fine with my Go, but perhaps that's a custom version of Android.

Aren't Android-compatible gamepads common enough?

they are but most apps don't support them and they are a bit of a nightmare to get to work in general in my experience.

what's a Go?

what's a Go?

VR headset, Oculus Go

• Advertisement

ah ok - that would be specifically designed for VR and with specific software written for the controllers.

the general support in android is very bad tho.

Advertisement