Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 09-11-2018 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I applied for a job a little while back when things weren't so great at my workplace. However things have since resolved and are now better.

The interview is tomorrow morning and I am stuck in a tricky situation.

If I got offered the job, I know I am not going to take it.

Without going into too much detail, I don't want to burn my bridges as they are very local and the boss of this company is well connected to other people in the industry, so I don't want to refuse the interview or the job, as it will impact on my future if I wanted to move company again. The type of people who work in this industry have long memories and it's an incredibly small network. I might possibly want to work for this company in the future, but they might not call me for interview again if they think I'm deliberately not attending interview.

I don't want to look fickle (before anyone says it, I know I am) or look like I am messing them around (again I know that I am a bit) how can I save face and my reputation?

At this stage I and my thinking of calling in sick tomorrow, and hopefully they don't offer to reschedule the interview...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Bereavement in the family and say you’ll be in touch about rescheduling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

1122ww wrote: »
    Hi,

I applied for a job a little while back when things weren't so great at my workplace. However things have since resolved and are now better.

The interview is tomorrow morning and I am stuck in a tricky situation.

If I got offered the job, I know I am not going to take it.

Without going into too much detail, I don't want to burn my bridges as they are very local and the boss of this company is well connected to other people in the industry, so I don't want to refuse the interview or the job, as it will impact on my future if I wanted to move company again. The type of people who work in this industry have long memories and it's an incredibly small network. I might possibly want to work for this company in the future, but they might not call me for interview again if they think I'm deliberately not attending interview.

I don't want to look fickle (before anyone says it, I know I am) or look like I am messing them around (again I know that I am a bit) how can I save face and my reputation?

At this stage I and my thinking of calling in sick tomorrow, and hopefully they don't offer to reschedule the interview...

Attend the interview and keep an open mind. You have nothing to lose. If they move to offer stage you can be honest and thank them for the opportunity and say things have changed where you are and maybe say you have decided to stay because of mortgage or family circumstances. Be apologetic and thank them for their time. Deff attend the interview thou-cancelling at short notice gives a bad taste sometimes....

Bereavement in the family and say you’ll be in touch about rescheduling
    In a local area? Do not do this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Ye can have family all over the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Go for the interview anyway. Always good to test your interviewing skills... Nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 1122ww

L1985 wrote: »
    Attend the interview and keep an open mind. You have nothing to lose. If they move to offer stage you can be honest and thank them for the opportunity and say things have changed where you are and maybe say you have decided to stay because of mortgage or family circumstances. Be apologetic and thank them for their time. Deff attend the interview thou-cancelling at short notice gives a bad taste sometimes....

The job offer would more than likely follow the same day (in this industry they would call later that day to make an offer)so they might not believe that things have changed.

That is what I am trying to figure out, which does more damage, attending and turning down job or cancelling?

They know me locally so I can't make up a line that I have another job offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I would think it’s better to politely decline the interview. If it was a generic company or plenty of jobs. It might be good to test your interview skills. However if it’s a niche area and local and if they offer it to you on the same day and you decline, they might think your a tyre kicker and may not give you the opertunity in the future. I have no hr experience but that’s the way I would be thinking.

Fol20 wrote: »
    I would think it’s better to politely decline the interview. If it was a generic company or plenty of jobs. It might be good to test your interview skills. However if it’s a niche area and local and if they offer it to you on the same day and you decline, they might think your a tyre kicker and may not give you the opertunity in the future. I have no hr experience but that’s the way I would be thinking.

What excuse could I give😯?

Thank them for the offer and say you'd like a little bit of time to think it over-honestly the job might be a good move for you so it's worth considering. Tell them you will be back too then on Monday as you never decide things in the spot and buy yourself some time and then Go back .happens the whole time with ppl interviewing so I wouldn't overthink it 🙂

L1985 wrote: »
    Thank them for the offer and say you'd like a little bit of time to think it over-honestly the job might be a good move for you so it's worth considering. Tell them you will be back too then on Monday as you never decide things in the spot and buy yourself some time and then Go back .happens the whole time with ppl interviewing so I wouldn't overthink it 🙂

Thanks. I was wondering what excuse could I give not to attend interview?

• Advertisement

Thanks. I was wondering what excuse could I give not to attend interview?
    See I honestly think you should attend....
    But You could call them up and say our really sorry you had a think about it and a chat with the family and for personal reasons it's really not a good time to move jobs. You are gutted as you feel it's a good opportunity but the timing just isn't right for you to make a move....
    Don't email-call them directly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Go for the interview, it will do no harm.

It will be experience if anything

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ye can have family all over the world

And when the call back to reschedule? This is just a dumb idea...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Just call them up, tell them that while you are very interested in working for them in the future, you personal circumstance have changed since you made the application and you can't consider a job change at this time. Keep it simple and do be drawn into any further details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I'd call and tell them something that's as close to the truth as possible in order to cancel the interview; your work circumstances have changed, and you're very sorry to have wasted their time and you very much appreciate the opportunity they gave you to interview for a role with them.

Don't make up a story - lies have a horrible way of coming back to haunt you and since its a small industry and a local company, you may well be talking to them again in the future - you don't want to be trying to remember the details of whatever yarn you told them.

Personally, I wouldn't go to the interview; you'd only be wasting their time, and while you might do a great one and so set yourself up for future opportunities with them , you might also make a mess of it and scupper those same opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Let them know your circumstances have changed. Don't go to the interview. Also, this company may be interviewing you to pump you for info on a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Honesty is always best policy, contact the person in the company you've been contacted by and inform them, that your circumstances have changed and you no longer wish to change jobs, you appreciate and are thankful for the opportunity and you wish them every look in the future.

Job done, no silly stories to get caught out on, no direct lies or bull****.

It will come across as the professional way to do it and will even stand to you in the long run.

If I was the interviewer I'd prefer the cancellation in good time so I can organise something else, rather than someone coming in to waste my time, I could have scheduled somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What excuse could I give��?

Don't give any excuse. Say your circumstances in work have changed and you've decided to stay put. Why would you make something up?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In a small town you could be easily found out lying so go with the truth. If you are 100% sure of not accepting then call and explain that your circumstances at your current employer have changed and you will be staying put. Thank them for the opportunity and time. If handled this way nobody is loosing. It’s professional, respectful and considerate of everyone.

Advertisement