Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistant staff officer interview (second interview)

Options
  • 24-10-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, im new to this site and im wondering if anyone could help me. I have a job interview as an assistant staff officer very soon and Im not sure where to start. I had a shortlisting interview on Monday which went well but I really have no idea what they will ask in the interview. I have downloaded annual report, development plan etc and but I just have so much to get through and not sure what to try and learn. Il never get everything studied before interview. I think I should be ok on most of the competencies part but its the knowledge of local government part that I would find most difficult. Has anyone ever done a second interview for assistant staff officer. Any information would be most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Hi all, im new to this site and im wondering if anyone could help me. I have a job interview as an assistant staff officer very soon and Im not sure where to start. I had a shortlisting interview on Monday which went well but I really have no idea what they will ask in the interview. I have downloaded annual report, development plan etc and but I just have so much to get through and not sure what to try and learn. Il never get everything studied before interview. I think I should be ok on most of the competencies part but its the knowledge of local government part that I would find most difficult. Has anyone ever done a second interview for assistant staff officer. Any information would be most welcome

Hi
    Firstly ..well done on getting shortlisted.

Now before talking about your 2nd interview can you outline, briefly, what was asked of you in first interview? (just to frame how much was covered in the 1st interview)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 curlywurly80

Zipppy wrote: »
    Hi
    Firstly ..well done on getting shortlisted.

Now before talking about your 2nd interview can you outline, briefly, what was asked of you in first interview? (just to frame how much was covered in the 1st interview)

Hi Zippy, I was asked why I wanted to leave current job, functions of elected representatives, budget. What research I did for the job.

Any ideas on this at all, I’m really stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Hi Zippy, I was asked why I wanted to leave current job, functions of elected representatives, budget. What research I did for the job.

Ah ok....basic stuff..

OK for a public sector role you will be assessed via a competency based interview. Thsi is standard practice.
    Good guide here

You will need to flesh out two examples for each competency that you are being interviewed on. If your letter to attend interview didn't outline competencies you could email local authority HR and ask them...or .. standard competencies could be..planning and organising..team working..decision making and using your initiative..delivering results..understanding change..communications... etc

You should use the STAR method (see link above) and be able to explain your explain telling what you had to do, why you had to do it, how you did it and the result (positive) of the action.

Competency based interviews are undertaken on the ideal that past action is a predictor of future behaviour.

Also know how local authority functions..functions of elected members (reserved functions) and functions of management (executive functions)

Know whats new in local area for council..whats topical..whats the big issue..any ideas on a solution?

When is interview? Is this Fingal?

Zipppy wrote: »
    Ah ok....basic stuff..

OK for a public sector role you will be assessed via a competency based interview. Thsi is standard practice.
    Good guide here

You will need to flesh out two examples for each competency that you are being interviewed on. If your letter to attend interview didn't outline competencies you could email local authority HR and ask them...or .. standard competencies could be..planning and organising..team working..decision making and using your initiative..delivering results..understanding change..communications... etc

You should use the STAR method (see link above) and be able to explain your explain telling what you had to do, why you had to do it, how you did it and the result (positive) of the action.

Competency based interviews are undertaken on the ideal that past action is a predictor of future behaviour.

Also know how local authority functions..functions of elected members (reserved functions) and functions of management (executive functions)

Know whats new in local area for council..whats topical..whats the big issue..any ideas on a solution?

When is interview? Is this Fingal?

Hi zippy, thanks for that. It’s not in Dublin, it’s down the country. The job is probably gone to someone internal but I would love to even get on the panel. I have no idea how many people would be doing second interview either

• Advertisement
Advertisement