Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2018, 08:19   #1
marieholmfan

Teaching boys to box

What is a good age to teach boys to box and very importantly having taught him to throw a punch how do I stop him from doing it in ordinary rough and tumble play.
Advertisement
09-10-2018, 08:23   #2
FTA69

Traditionally the age was around ten in Ireland but in other countries it’s much younger. I went to Cuba to train for a month and the kids over there were in a full time academy by around eight years old. My own club now does young kids classes and there’s a huge focus on learning through play as well, kids are around five or six years old.

I wouldn’t worry about them suddenly breaking out three punch combos during messing in school, that’s inculcated into them very quickly from their coaches. Kids doing boxing were never the type to take liberties like that in my opinion.

Boxing will instill a great sense of discipline into any child and it’s a tremendously positive activity. As soon as any young person of mine is old enough they’ll have gloves on.
09-10-2018, 08:24   #3
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieholmfan View Post
What is a good age to teach boys to box and very importantly having taught him to throw a punch how do I stop him from doing it in ordinary rough and tumble play.
What age is the child?.

Bring him to a boxing club and see if he likes it, but my recommendation would be some kind of grappling style like Judo, BJJ, Freestyle Wrestling ~ these all come naturally to children, its how they play in a group.

Put a bunch of young lads in a field and watch them roll around rough housing, and that's why I always recommend grappling.
09-10-2018, 08:35   #4
marieholmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA69 View Post

I wouldn’t worry about them suddenly breaking out three punch combos during messing in school, that’s inculcated into them very quickly from their coaches. Kids doing boxing were never the type to take liberties like that in my opinion.
I plan to teach the absolute rudiments myself.
09-10-2018, 08:49   #5
FTA69

I'm not trying to be smart but are you a boxer or coach yourself?
Advertisement
09-10-2018, 08:51   #6
RiderOnTheStorm

Part of the formal training of boxing and martial arts is discipline. When young fellas (and girls!) have confidence in their self defense they dont get themselves into fights (usually!)

"We learn karate, so we never have to use karate."
.....The Simpsons
Thanks from:
09-10-2018, 09:02   #7
marieholmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA69 View Post
I'm not trying to be smart but are you a boxer or coach yourself?
Very reasonable question; not a bit smart. I boxed as a teenager and am in my early forties. Haven't sparred for 11 years. Boy is seven. My dad taught me (he was actually good though (LOL)). I have a lot of memories of it and it was a space for talking as well.
(3) thanks from:
09-10-2018, 09:18   #8
FTA69

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieholmfan View Post
Very reasonable question; not a bit smart. I boxed as a teenager and am in my early forties. Haven't sparred for 11 years. Boy is seven. My dad taught me (he was actually good though (LOL)). I have a lot of memories of it and it was a space for talking as well.
Sounds good mate, all the best with it.
09-10-2018, 09:26   #9
KungPao

I win for me! FOR ME!
Advertisement
10-10-2018, 21:03   #10
Foxhound38

I started when I was about 10. The trick is to find a good club. Used to box at St. Joseph's in Ballyboden - there was an aul fella (in his 70's), probably dead and buried now who used to attend ever session at my old club - he could barely breath with the wheezing let alone throw a punch, but everyone respected him - he was tough as nails back in the day (there was an old picture of him in the club finishing a marathon 50 odd years ago with a smoke hanging out of his mouth). He often spoke to the lads at the club about using their fists outside the ring - told us all that it wasn't what a man did. He did more than that too - jesus, I still remember the bollocking he gave me at 16 when he found out I was smoking.

It also kept me fit as a fiddle at the time, and disciplined.

Boxing was an extremely positive influence on my formative years - I'd recommend it to anyone.
10-10-2018, 21:11   #11
The Rape of Lucretia

No age is good. Its barbaric, and even disguised as sport, has no part to play in civilised society.
10-10-2018, 21:23   #12
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rape of Lucretia View Post
No age is good. Its barbaric, and even disguised as sport, has no part to play in civilised society.

I won’t say you’re wrong, as it’s very much subjective, but horseplay (or roughhousing as they call it Stateside) has been shown to be good for children -

https://psychcentral.com/lib/6-benef...sing-for-kids/

For what it’s worth OP, my brother started my niece in boxing at 7 years of age, and I’ve always enjoyed horseplay with my child. It has many benefits including keeping fit, fostering their social skills, as well as the benefits listed above.
10-10-2018, 21:32   #13
Murray TheDemonic TalkingSkull

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rape of Lucretia View Post
Wouldnt be my sport, but if it keeps young lads off the streets, away from drugs, gives them motivation, a purpose and trains them in discipline, then im all for it.
10-10-2018, 21:47   #14
corner of hells

Have you dropped into the box factory recently , I hear they be recruiting for kids to box crackers for Christmas.
10-10-2018, 21:50   #15
Grayson

Have you given him a few slaps to see how he handles it? If he still cries then he's too young.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion