Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 14:25   #1
Boards.ie: Mark
Boards.ie Employee
 
Boards.ie: Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,069
Now ye're talking - to a survivor of child sexual abuse

Before we go any further, the subject of this AMA could be particularly upsetting to people who may have had a similar experience to our guest. If that is the case, you are not alone. There are people who can help you get through this and listen if you need to talk.

One in Four:
Ph: 01 662 4070
https://www.oneinfour.ie/i-need-help

Rape Crisis Centre:
Ph: National 24-Hour Helpline: 1 800 778 888
https://www.rapecrisishelp.ie/how-we-can-help/
https://www.rapecrisishelp.ie/find-a-service/



Our next guest was abused as a child and would like to answer your questions about that. She was abused by a neighbour at the age of 6 and then again for three years between the ages of 10 - 13 by a family member. She has suffered horribly with anxiety over the years, but is on the other side now and tries to help other adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse. She is now married with children of her own.
Boards.ie: Mark is offline  
Advertisement
08-10-2018, 14:34   #2
Hector Savage
Banned
 
Hector Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: On a mission for Quentin Hapsburg
Posts: 3,111
My God, I hope you have found some peace, I don't really know what to ask - I feel ghoulish asking.
But I hope the neighbour and family members are facing/have faced justice for their actions ?

Keep strong.
Hector Savage is offline  
08-10-2018, 14:58   #3
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Savage View Post
My God, I hope you have found some peace, I don't really know what to ask - I feel ghoulish asking.
But I hope the neighbour and family members are facing/have faced justice for their actions ?

Keep strong.
Thanks Hector.
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA is offline  
08-10-2018, 16:02   #4
Sour Lemonz
Registered User
 
Sour Lemonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Juicer.
Posts: 456
No questions from me, been down a similar road to you, just wanted to say well done for doing this, its not easy an easy thing to speak about, never will be.

May your journey forward grant you happiness from the strenght of facing your previous path with courage.
Sour Lemonz is offline  
08-10-2018, 16:07   #5
Kevin Finnerty
Registered User
 
Kevin Finnerty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 675
Do you think your parents knew? I ask as a parent. What are the signs we should look for in your opinion?

Selfish questions I know, huge respect to you for doing this AMA.
Kevin Finnerty is online now  
Advertisement
08-10-2018, 16:10   #6
razorblunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,413
An incredible topic from an incredible person.
Thank you for doing this.

I'm sure every situation is different but are there are common tell tale signs we should be on the look out for if a child is at risk of sexual abuse, or has become a victim of?
razorblunt is offline  
08-10-2018, 16:13   #7
sexmag
Registered User
 
sexmag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 913
Congrats on moving on with your life and being strong.

My question,do you feel it has tainted your perception of sexual relations with your partner?
sexmag is offline  
08-10-2018, 16:15   #8
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Lemonz View Post
No questions from me, been down a similar road to you, just wanted to say well done for doing this, its not easy an easy thing to speak about, never will be.

May your journey forward grant you happiness from the strenght of facing your previous path with courage.
Thank you, I also hope that you are doing good. I need to speak out I feel like it is helping with my recovery but it's certainly not easy.

Take care
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA is offline  
(2) thanks from:
08-10-2018, 16:19   #9
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Do you think your parents knew? I ask as a parent. What are the signs we should look for in your opinion?

Selfish questions I know, huge respect to you for doing this AMA.
My parents knew about the first time when I was 6. The second time I only told my mom, my dad still doesn't know. My parents had divorced by the time the second time happened.

Regarding signs to look out for it's a tough one because I am sure everyone is different but maybe not wanting to be left alone with certain people that they were once ok with being with. Changes in behaviour, acting out angry etc.
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA is offline  
Advertisement
08-10-2018, 16:22   #10
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexmag View Post
Congrats on moving on with your life and being strong.

My question,do you feel it has tainted your perception of sexual relations with your partner?
Thank you. Good question, yes 100% it has affected all of my relationships. When I was younger I couldn't say no.

I am married now to a great man who is so understanding but it wouldn't bother me to never have a sexual relationship.
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA is offline  
(2) thanks from:
08-10-2018, 16:27   #11
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post
An incredible topic from an incredible person.
Thank you for doing this.

I'm sure every situation is different but are there are common tell tale signs we should be on the look out for if a child is at risk of sexual abuse, or has become a victim of?
Thanks. I answered something similar to this above about tell tale signs in my experience such as not wanting to be left alone with a particular person that was never an issue before and behavioural problems such as anger etc.

Try have as honest a relationship with your child as possible, answer any questions that they may ask you as honest as possible even if you feel the child is not old enough for the answer. You don't need to go into anymore detail than the child has asked for. I think this would make it much easier for your child to approach you. In my opinion.
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA is offline  
(3) thanks from:
08-10-2018, 16:27   #12
HalloweenJack
Registered User
 
HalloweenJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: David Frost Garden Party
Posts: 5,464
Well done for putting yourself out there and talking about this topic. It isn't easy. It's taken me a long time to get to grips with my own abuse and, from the brief bio given, I can see that yours was a more long-term case.

I can't think of anything questions just now but I will keep an eye on this one and thanks for taking the time out to do it.

Last edited by HalloweenJack; 08-10-2018 at 16:31.
HalloweenJack is offline  
(3) thanks from:
08-10-2018, 16:43   #13
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
Well done for putting yourself out there and talking about this topic. It isn't easy. It's taken me a long time to get to grips with my own abuse and, from the brief bio given, I can see that yours was a more long-term case.

I can't think of anything questions just now but I will keep an eye on this one and thanks for taking the time out to do it.
Thank you. I hope you are doing ok. It has also taken me so long to try move on from my past. I'm 40 now.
I'm a survivor of child sexual abuse, AMA is offline  
08-10-2018, 17:54   #14
Nokia6230i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 545
As a survivor, what's your opinion on counselling services such as above, Better Lives programme (only available in prison I think?) and FPS who treat sex offenders but also sexual abuse survivors?

FPS have been run out of Sallynoggin & Shankhill by "activists".

Both they & 1 in 4 treat both offenders and victims; separately obviously.
Nokia6230i is offline  
08-10-2018, 23:50   #15
Bitches Be Trypsin
Registered User
 
Bitches Be Trypsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 652
Were you aware that what was happening was wrong?
Bitches Be Trypsin is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search