Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont call me love! Compo claim fail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Great to see decisions like this.

I've no problem with him calling the Judge 'Love'. What I do have a problem with is exaggerated claims that cost innocent motorists money.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd be made up if someone called me ''love'', I can't even get a text back or a reply in the family group chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

James Flynn of ... Rathkeale, Co. Limerick. ... a 46-year-old salesman at outdoor markets throughout Munster.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mr Flynn is one of those really unlucky individuals -

He agreed he had sued for damages in accidents in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2010

On this current suppposed claim :-
    counsel for Mr Flynn told Judge Berkeley that having viewed the cctv footage and having spoken to Mr Flynn his client had decided to withdraw his claim.

The legal fraternity taking on such cases should hang ther heads in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I sat in on the district court once with a trainee lawyer friend, honestly one of the most entertaining mornings I've ever spent. The sheer amount of wanton disrespect shown to judges (and the inevitable hardening of judges' attitudes as a result) was absolutely endemic.

Honestly, how stupid do you have to be, to walk into court and be a douchebag to the judge? Being polite and contrite is surely one of the easiest things to do for the half an hour or so it takes for one's case to be heard - and it's literally the easiest way to mitigate whatever sentence might be coming your way.

Incredibly entertaining for those observing the cases, but unbelievably moronic for the defendants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The beginning of a trend, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He'll have PP taking up a discrimination case against the judge next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

"Don't call me love"

"Sorry, m'love"

tumblr_inline_mof0b7Qz8n1qz4rgp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

thebaz wrote: »
    Mr Flynn is one of those really unlucky individuals -

He agreed he had sued for damages in accidents in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2010

On this current suppposed claim :-
    counsel for Mr Flynn told Judge Berkeley that having viewed the cctv footage and having spoken to Mr Flynn his client had decided to withdraw his claim.

He hit the jackpot with one claim paid of 90000.
    Hopefully he will get cleaned out with costs against him. The ideal situation of course would be that his legal team dont get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Great to see decisions like this.

I've no problem with him calling the Judge 'Love'. What I do have a problem with is exaggerated claims that cost innocent motorists money.

I have problems with both. She's a judge, it's a court. He should have some fecking respect for both her and the proceedings.

Glad to see it was thrown out. Seems like he couldn't even keep his story straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

thebaz wrote:

He probably spun his solicitor a tale of woe that sounded believable
    The solicitor only saw the CCTV evidence in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as I've said many times here , ther are many great people in the legal industry , but ther are many also that seam willing to take on any case , however spurious, and its usually taxpayers that end up footing the bill . I kind of expect anyone who studies law , to have decent moral obligations , how niave I am :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

seamus wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Why don't they just say "Traveller" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Try_harder wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dont-call-me-love-judges-words-to-man-in-unsuccessful-60k-damages-claim-37381065.html

Thought this would be all over AH!

Guy had his compo clam thrown out any costs awarded against him!

Awesome freudian typo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You can be sure solicitors for "dubious" claims don't give a monkey about the truth, just what they feel they can achieve, either in court or on the steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dont-call-me-love-judges-words-to-man-in-unsuccessful-60k-damages-claim-37381065.html

Good luck getting those...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Funny how the defendant accepted he reversed into him and it was before the courts for damages amount. But cctv is shown and witnesses appear and it seems that the defendant was not exactly telling the truth either.

I'll have a wild wild guess that they are connected some way.

Now if I even attempted to rob a bank of 60k, I'd be in the slammer for 5 years.

Concoct a bullsh1t story and scam 60k and absolutely nothing whatsoever happens.

Guess who pays for it?

Yep, we do.

And the law society do nothing to the solicitors and barristers that are complicit in these criminal acts.

Funny that, because even if I was just the driver for a burglary, I'd get two years.

Maybe the law should target the legal profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Surprised he’s not a Freeman tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

out and out scumbag

him and his ambulance chasing cronies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Solicitors advertising Litigation as their Key business- I dont think too highly of them either! Is that an ambo I hear!?

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Funny how the defendant accepted he reversed into him and it was before the courts for damages amount. But cctv is shown and witnesses appear and it seems that the defendant was not exactly telling the truth either.

I'll have a wild wild guess that they are connected some way.

Now if I even attempted to rob a bank of 60k, I'd be in the slammer for 5 years.

Concoct a bullsh1t story and scam 60k and absolutely nothing whatsoever happens.

Guess who pays for it?

Yep, we do.

And the law society do nothing to the solicitors and barristers that are complicit in these criminal acts.

Funny that, because even if I was just the driver for a burglary, I'd get two years.

Maybe the law should target the legal profession?

Self governance is great lads!

Surely more can be done in obvious fraud cases like this? And of course the legal teams surely should know better. It's almost like they don't mind taking bull**** cases. But that's just cynical I suppose. :rolleyes:

Sure Jan- doesnt all evidence have to be made available to both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Unlucky bastard:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Unlucky bastard:

Unlucky all right ,
    He got the wrong judge;Adrianna Fields

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

250?cb=20180123225553

• Registered Users Posts: 51,162 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Being a cultural tarmac technician can be a hazardous job....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Just want to point out the max civil court payout is 60k.

So the papers always say they're claiming 60k, even when the actual payout is usually much much less, or zero in this case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm sure said gentleman is fully tax compliant, and registered for VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are you the same Albert Gladstone Trotter who fell down the cellar of the Kings Head, Peckham, in 1988?

Advertisement