Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber or Electrician for Smart Heating

Options
  • 18-09-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Was looking to get an Ember EPH installed in Cork. Is it a plumber or Electrician typically installs these ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

I got EPH Ember installed last year and I regret it (was during a house re-plumb, plumber had his electrician install it). While it works fine for my 3 zones and its great to have remote access, its a fairly basic system missing a lot of features, I'm looking to replace it already, there looks to be a lot better alternatives like tado, Nest, Evohome etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

EPH on the back foot with this kind of technology. Go with Hive or Nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

KingCong wrote: »
    I got EPH Ember installed last year and I regret it (was during a house re-plumb, plumber had his electrician install it). While it works fine for my 3 zones and its great to have remote access, its a fairly basic system missing a lot of features, I'm looking to replace it already, there looks to be a lot better alternatives like tado, Nest, Evohome etc.

What are the features you are missing that you see as essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

john_doe. wrote: »
    What are the features you are missing that you see as essential?

There's plenty, but the single biggest and most basic missing feature is the ability to schedule different temperatures at different times. For example, in winter I'd like to have upstairs heat up to 20 C an hour before we go to bed, then maintain a minimum temp of say 15/16 C overnight and back up to 20 C before we get up in the morning. There's no way to do this with Ember, without manually switching the temp down on the app when in bed and then waking up an hour early in the morning and manually turning the temp up again. That's just one example, there's lots of other use cases where I'd need this, to me its such a basic standard feature that I naively assumed Ember would do it when I let my plumber talk me into going with EPH instead of Nest.

Some other less important (to me) features its missing:

-Google Home/Alexa/IFTTT support
    -Modulating the boiler flow temp based on the outside weather/temp
    -Geo fencing - turning off heat automatically when your not home, turning it back on as you are on your way home
    -Smart TRVs
    -Reporting - amount of time boiler fired per day etc
    -Humidity sensors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Electrician as nothing to do with plumber. Mine did mine for me. It was his first one but he has a done a few nests since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement