Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace my Nexus 7 2013. Suggestions?

Options
  • 14-09-2018 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

The Nexus is getting on a bit and no longer being updated. It still works grand for what I want it for (Videos while travelling mainly) but maybe time to think of changing. No hurry on me though.
    Won’t compromise on battery life or screen resolution. Would love an sd card slot.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

squawker wrote: »

Looks like a decent spec alright but might be a bit big for what I want. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Looks like a decent spec alright but might be a bit big for what I want. Thanks anyway.

as posed above there is an 8in version

but shop around between honorbuy / euglobal / geekbuying /etc

Think that 8 inch version might be ideal. Pretty much same size as the Nexus and you can get a proper cover for it.
    Will research it but I like the look of it.

Thanks
    squawker wrote: »
    as posed above there is an 8in version

but shop around between honorbuy / euglobal / geekbuying /etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Think that 8 inch version might be ideal. Pretty much same size as the Nexus and you can get a proper cover for it.
    Will research it but I like the look of it.

Thanks

Let us know how you get on - looks a decent tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

I got a Huawei MediaPad M3 8" to replace my N7 towards the end of last year when Argos were having a deal on it, think is was ~€310 at the time & I had a few vouchers to throw in. The Xiaomi looks to be better value though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

The Nexus is getting on a bit and no longer being updated. It still works grand for what I want it for (Videos while travelling mainly).

Any thoughts?

TIA

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7-2013/development/rom-t3569067

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭budhabob

I picked up an Amazon Fire 32gb for €35 last December - Dixon's in the airport. It's nothing spectacular, but I only use it for videos while travelling and it delivers that perfectly.

Peatys wrote: »

Thanks. Will give that a whirl too. It's not as if I have a warranty to void. I've done similar before so it shouldn't be a big deal.

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    I picked up an Amazon Fire 32gb for €35 last December - Dixon's in the airport. It's nothing spectacular, but I only use it for videos while travelling and it delivers that perfectly.

Fire is grand as a cheap tablet but the screen isn't good enough for what I want.

Looking at the Xiaomi, I think it ticks all the boxes. As far as I can tell it ships with a Chinese ROM and you have to add google play yourself (possibly sideloaded). No great issue with that. The last cheap Chinese tablet I got I had to flash a new ROM before anything worked but it was fine after that.

Any thoughts on whether a USB-C to HDMI adapter would work or not?

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I got that lenovo in the bargain thing a while back and, while it's grand, I find it very stuttery and it will never see an update from Nougat. My 2013 Nexus 7 probably runs smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Invincible

I replaced a Nexus 7 stuck on boot loop with a Huawei M3 8.4" 4GB/32GB Octocore, €199 + p+p off Amazon.de.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on - looks a decent tablet.

Just pulled the trigger with honorbuy. Worked out around €250 for the 4/64 version with case, glass protection etc.
    Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭budhabob

Invincible wrote: »
    I replaced a Nexus 7 stuck on boot loop with a Huawei M3 8.4" 4GB/32GB Octocore, €199 + p+p off Amazon.de.
    That's what happened my Nexus 7 too, gutted so I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭biebiebie

The Orb wrote: »

Although that has a micro SD slot, 16gb is woeful these days.
    I'd recommend 64gb, or 32gb at an absolute bare minimum.

Although if you're only streaming and not installing anything then 16gb might be doable, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Although that has a micro SD slot, 16gb is woeful these days.
    I'd recommend 64gb, or 32gb at an absolute bare minimum.

Although if you're only streaming and not installing anything then 16gb might be doable, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Wouldn’t go near 16gb alright. Nexus has 32 and quickly fills. I’m using Netflix downloads more and more and they can quickly eat memory.
    I have a micro usb/usb combo drive for other video files and it’s fine but a stock Nexus can only access it through its own app and it sticks out the side. A proper sd card is a better solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

What about samsung galaxy tab s2 8 t719, takes a sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

I had to replace my Nexus 7, the 2012 version though. I went for the Huawei Mediapad M3 8" and am happy with that. I got it off Amazon UK for £163 and free delivery to Ireland. Good value for money given its specs.

• Advertisement

Just pulled the trigger with honorbuy. Worked out around €250 for the 4/64 version with case, glass protection etc.
    Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Gearbest had a flash sale this morning so I cancelled honorbuy and took up that option. Saved roughly €30 I reckon. Base price of the tablet is just under €200 which is very good.

Gearbest had a flash sale this morning so I cancelled honorbuy and took up that option. Saved roughly €30 I reckon. Base price of the tablet is just under €200 which is very good.

As long as you don't have to deal with their Customer Service, should be ok - personally, I wouldn't buy anything of value from GB..

As long as you don't have to deal with their Customer Service, should be ok - personally, I wouldn't buy anything of value from GB..

I've bought from them before. Never had any problems with them. Hope for the best.
    In the process now of updating my Nexus to Nougat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Any sign of the Mi Pad yet Galvo?

Anyone else got one?

Really keen on getting one, would love to read some reviews..

you'll have to pay VAT on Gearbest tho taking away the saving? plus honorbuy should ship quicker?

this tech guy is very knowledgeable. started out on tablets but now covers phones and laptops also

https://techtablets.com/recommended-chinese-tablets-brands/

take a look at the section down the page on

Under $200 / Best value for money 7.9″ fully lamianted Android tablets:

Any sign of the Mi Pad yet Galvo?

Anyone else got one?

Really keen on getting one, would love to read some reviews..

Hopefully it's on the way. I'll report on it when it arrives. In the meantime I've rooted my Nexus so I can read the USB drive directly. I don't think I'll bother loading a new ROM.

Well, I got away with it on a drone last year from gb so fingers crossed.
    glasso wrote: »
    you'll have to pay VAT on Gearbest tho taking away the saving? plus honorbuy should ship quicker?

this tech guy is very knowledgeable. started out on tablets but now covers phones and laptops also

The Mi Pad on gearbest says it's the global version, honorbuy says theirs is 'Chinese and English only'. gb are now saying the dispatch time is 7-14 days which is a bit ridiculous.

Tempted now to cancel and buy from honorbuy but does anyone know what the difference is between the two versions or is there any difference?

glasso wrote: »

• Advertisement

The Mi Pad on gearbest says it's the global version, honorbuy says theirs is 'Chinese and English only'. gb are now saying the dispatch time is 7-14 days which is a bit ridiculous.

Tempted now to cancel and buy from honorbuy but does anyone know what the difference is between the two versions or is there any difference?

As far as I know, only the Chinese version is available, which has English and Chinese languages only.

I'm not 100%, so don't take as gospel

Advertisement