Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2018, 15:37   #1
Pheonix10

Edenmore Cresent Area - Safe?

Hi All,

I'm looking at house to purchase in this area. From a quick Google it seems there is a good bit of trouble in the news. Just wanted to get a second opinion!

Thanks!
Advertisement
13-09-2018, 18:20   #2
Samuel T. Cogley

Can't speak directly to Edenmore although the entire surrounding area has calmed down hugely. If you come across the DART tracks and down a bit to Kilbarrack you'd be surrounded by an arguably better area (Foxfield) although where you'd be living would have the same sort of reputation.
13-09-2018, 18:23   #3
Pheonix10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
Can't speak directly to Edenmore although the entire surrounding area has calmed down hugely. If you come across the DART tracks and down a bit to Kilbarrack you'd be surrounded by an arguably better area (Foxfield) although where you'd be living would have the same sort of reputation.
Thank you, why would it be a better area arguably? Just curious.
13-09-2018, 19:17   #4
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix10 View Post
Thank you, why would it be a better area arguably? Just curious.

Killbarack backs on to Foxfield and the Howth Road; Edenmore has the DART line between it and the Watermill Road area. Both areas are grand despite the reputation. I say that from experiance of Kilbarrack and second hand information on Edenmore.

Both Foxfield and the Watermill road areas are very nice areas of Raheny.
13-09-2018, 21:34   #5
raheny red

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm looking at house to purchase in this area. From a quick Google it seems there is a good bit of trouble in the news. Just wanted to get a second opinion!

Thanks!
If it's the part of the Crescent I'm thinking of then I'd avoid. IIRC 4 houses along there have gone for up sale in the last month (it's a very small stretch of houses, about 12?). I've been living in Edenmore over 25 years, it has settled down alot compared to how things use to be. I'd buy in 95% of Edenmore in a heart beat but that stretch along by the church I'd have my concerns.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 07:33   #6
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheny red View Post
If it's the part of the Crescent I'm thinking of then I'd avoid. IIRC 4 houses along there have gone for up sale in the last month (it's a very small stretch of houses, about 12?). I've been living in Edenmore over 25 years, it has settled down alot compared to how things use to be. I'd buy in 95% of Edenmore in a heart beat but that stretch along by the church I'd have my concerns.

I take it none of the four were the trouble makers? Always the way!
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 09:34   #7
Pheonix10

Quote:
Could you expand a bit more if possible? Do you think the residents were selling up because of trouble? Interested in this property to any advice appreciated.
14-09-2018, 09:38   #8
Wabbit Ears

Edenmore is still edenmore to me. I used to spend a lot of my childhood in foxfield and edenmore was the proverbial 'other side of the tracks'. The bad side. So I wouldn't buy there persoanlly but I woudlnt buy in Ballymun, Neilstown, Darndale etc either.

Im sure its grand now, that was a lifetime ago.
14-09-2018, 09:42   #9
D3V!L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit Ears View Post
Edenmore is still edenmore to me. I used to spend a lot of my childhood in foxfield and edenmore was the proverbial 'other side of the tracks'. The bad side. So I wouldn't buy there persoanlly but I woudlnt buy in Ballymun, Neilstown, Darndale etc either.

Im sure its grand now, that was a lifetime ago.
Me too, I grew up nearby and Edenmore will always be a no go.
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 12:29   #10
Samuel T. Cogley

OP you might consider one of the two houses on Briarfield road in Kilbarrack. Close to the DART and on the 'right side' of the tracks. It has a similar rep but is actually very quiet.
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 14:13   #11
Sweet.Science

Edenmore is grand. Bought there last year not one bit of trouble

The shops are a hang out area though for teenagers. I live nearer the springdale road
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 16:06   #12
little bess

Personally I wouldn’t buy at the top end of Edenmore crescent, bottom end, near the hospital is fine (certain exceptions that locals will know of, but it’s not anything that bothers neighbours.) Certain other roads are quiet too.
Thanks from:
15-09-2018, 22:35   #13
raheny red

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bess View Post
Personally I wouldn’t buy at the top end of Edenmore crescent, bottom end, near the hospital is fine (certain exceptions that locals will know of, but it’s not anything that bothers neighbours.) Certain other roads are quiet too.
Absolutely spot on.
15-09-2018, 22:47   #14
raheny red

Quote:
Could you expand a bit more if possible? Do you think the residents were selling up because of trouble? Interested in this property to any advice appreciated.
There were shots fired at a house along there recently. Also, there's a family across the road who have caused trouble for decades. They are quite elderly now but they'd be very well know in the surrounding areas.

There's planning permission for another floor of apartments to be built onto the current ones above the Concorde pub. It's gonna be an absolute eyesore even moreso now!

The further you move away from the shops, the better. I'm currently in the process of moving out of Edenmore but if I could afford to buy in Edenmore I would. Sandwiched between Raheny and Coolock villages. 10/15 mins walk to 2 Dart stations. Lots of young couples with kids currently moving into the area is a great sign of how Edenmore has greatly changed.
15-09-2018, 23:14   #15
Pheonix10

Quote:
There were shots fired at a house along there recently. Also, there's a family across the road who have caused trouble for decades. They are quite elderly now but they'd be very well know in the surrounding areas.

There's planning permission for another floor of apartments to be built onto the current ones above the Concorde pub. It's gonna be an absolute eyesore even moreso now!

The further you move away from the shops, the better. I'm currently in the process of moving out of Edenmore but if I could afford to buy in Edenmore I would. Sandwiched between Raheny and Coolock villages. 10/15 mins walk to 2 Dart stations. Lots of young couples with kids currently moving into the area is a great sign of how Edenmore has greatly changed.
Thanks for the detail. So would you say it's a safe place to live with kids and family? The first bit of your response doesn't bode well :/ but then you said there is young families moving in? For the record, the house is 165 Edenmore Crescent...thanks for this by the way!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion