Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Autumn/Winter Launch 2018.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It is due to take place on Thursday and Ryan Tubridy has very special news about The Late Late Show!

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0813/984822-ryan-tubridy-teases-very-special-late-late-news/

I wonder what sort of a let down that will be ?

A new set ?

A 5 minute longer show ?

Three country music specials spread out over the season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I wonder what sort of a let down that will be ?

A new set ?

A 5 minute longer show ?

Three country music specials spread out over the season ?

It's going to be rebranded as The Late Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

First Late Late Show is back the 7th!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

My guess is that they are running a postal competition given that An Post are delivering postcards with the Late Late address already .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

The photos of the launch always seem the same, year in, year out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The new drama Taken Down is meant to be very strong with interest already from other countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Vogue Williams is back with three new shows exploring the life of Instagrammers"

I wonder is there are chance both those elements could just wipe each other outs? That'd be nice.

The new dramas sound interesting to be fair, but surrounded by the usual RTÉ lowballing and rewarding of mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

Amy Huberman verses Sharon Horgan in comedy.

I hope they are both good but I'd probably put my money on Horgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

the only good bit i took from that was podge and rodge are back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

It is due to take place on Thursday and Ryan Tubridy has very special news about The Late Late Show!

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0813/984822-ryan-tubridy-teases-very-special-late-late-news/

So the very special news for the Late Late Show is that their doing a show from London...........
    Be still my beating heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    the only good bit i took from that was podge and rodge are back

With Doireann Garhiy (not sure spelling) another ‘instagram/Snapchat famous’ but totally unfunny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭TheDavester

brian_t wrote: »
    Amy Huberman verses Sharon Horgan in comedy.

I hope they are both good but I'd probably put my money on Horgan.

Why do they keep giving Huberman work, every show she touches gets cancelled.....and shes painfully average for an "actress"

Why do they keep giving Huberman work, every show she touches gets cancelled.....and shes painfully average for an "actress"

It's like she gets the pull factor for the first few episodes and then things go belly up.
    I'd say she'd be on a good bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

With Doireann Garhiy (not sure spelling) another ‘instagram/Snapchat famous’ but totally unfunny

She's someone who god bless her, there's something there, but "impressions" aren't it. She's like a female Joe Longthorne, but Joe Longthorne actually had some talent.
    And could sing.
    But same level of anti-comedy.
    She said herself that she wasn't a good enough actress.
    She also has the "Jon Culshaw" problem. In that all her voices sound the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Taken Down seems like it’s gonna be a Sjw fest. Some digs at direct provision and probably some preaching about racism and pro immigration......At least I hope not

RTE don't take any risks.
    Obviously, an SF/fantasy series could be expensive, but there are ways of doing the fantastic on the cheap.
    But whenever RTE do something risky, it's usually awful.
    Caught in a Free State - I'm looking at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well that autumn launch was very underwhelming.

At least we have 3 more specials by our Vogue.

Riveting stuff.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well that autumn launch was very underwhelming.

At least we have 3 more specials by our Vogue.

Riveting stuff.

Most Years they was something a little interesting but this year there was nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,613 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Killing Eve only new US show

• Advertisement

Same circle of people....rarely changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

CeilingFly wrote: »
    The new drama Taken Down is meant to be very strong with interest already from other countries.

PR guff.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    PR guff.

They always say that. It reminds me of the Doctor Who producer John Nathan-Turner in the 80s, who'd boast about the series being popular in fifty countries, when in fact the big foreign markets the series had a consistent run were the US and Canada, Australia and New Zealand. And later on, Germany, but only in the late 80s. The rest were short runs of episodes that were usually not renewed.

Usually, foreign broadcasters do pick them up. But it'll be SBS in Australia, who'll buy any international telly to appeal to a minority demographic based Down Under, and some minor on-demand level.

RTE have tried and failed for years. There've been the odd coproduction, but there's a reason people don't remember Roses from Dublin or Year of the French or Caught in a Free State.

Strumpet City is a fluke. The production is haphazard, and made by a clearly inexperienced crew. The cast and script by the hugely experienced Hugh Leonard lift it. And even that was turned down by PBS who flinched at such a working class series, and it ended up on a failed CBS cable platform.

And after that, well the Irish RM got Masterpiece Theatre and the Price got PBS, but those were mainly C4 series with RTE backing up, a la Mrs. Brown's Boys or the Mahabharat.

RTE are always seemingly making the same dramas over and over again. There's no real ambition, I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Because of who her husband is.

If she married anyone else she'd have disappeared into complete obscurity.

Amy Is also a feminist and RTE loves them.

Amy Is also a feminist and RTE loves them.

She's decent in small parts (Cold Feet, Moone Boy), but as a lead, she can't hold.

She's decent in small parts (Cold Feet, Moone Boy), but as a lead, she can't hold.

I actually don't hate her to be honest.
    As a teenage lad I loved watching The Clinic!

Because of who her husband is.

If she married anyone else she'd have disappeared into complete obscurity.

Cos they are our Posh n Becks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I thought Bradley, Murphy and Greene were in the follow up to Rebellion. I was sure I read something when they started filming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭jmcc

I thought Bradley, Murphy and Greene were in the follow up to Rebellion. I was sure I read something when they started filming.
    Apparently the followup is called "Resistance". Probably the usual RTE SJW fest about a bunch of Hillary Clinton supporters who go back in time to stop Donald Trump becoming president. It may or may not include references to the Irish War of Independence.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement