Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving an uninsured car but have own insurance

Options
  • 13-08-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭

Evening,

My partner recently bought a car and we're trying to figure out how to drive it while she sorts insurance.

- She is a named driver on my policy - I have the option to drive other vehicles.

- The car will be registered in her name.

Is it possible for me to drive the car for a few days and for her to drive mine while she sorts out the insurance?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No, but be safe in the knowledge you wouldn't be the first one to think this is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd like to know this myself, but I suspect not

• Registered Users Posts: 81,955 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If she wasn't your partner you would be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭Homer

I always understood the other vehicle had to have a policy of some description on it for me to use the “drive other vehicles” bit of my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

If she wasn't your partner you would be able to.

Well, I say partner but we are not married / civil partners, we are Bf/Gf (just sounds childesh saying that :pac:)

Edit: Nothing on the insurance policy (123) states partner owned car:

Section 2
    Driving Other Motor Cars
    We will cover You only under the terms of Section 1 of this Policy, provided Section 2 is
    operative on your policy schedule, while You are driving any private motor car with the owner’s
    permission, providing:
    (i) the car is not owned by You, Your employer or Your business partner
    (ii) it is not hired to You or Your employer or business partners under a hire purchase
    agreement or a leasing agreement;
    (iii) it is not owned by or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade Business of which You
    are a member, director or employee;
    (iv) it is not a car-van with only 2 seats or less, nor a motorcycle nor commercial vehicle of
    any kind;
    (v) there is no other policy in force, whether You are the policyholder of that policy or not,
    that covers Your driving of the car You are driving under this Section.
    Motor Breakdown Assistance cover does not apply to any car that you may drive under this
    Driving of Other Motor Cars Section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The other car must have 3rd party insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Depends on who your insured with. Im with 123.ie who are a broker for RSA. I specifically asked about this and have it in writing that I am insured on a non insured vehicle as long as its not in my name

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The driving of other cars under third party extension generally only covers you to drive other cars you don't own or stand to suffer a financial loss in the event of the car being damaged or destroyed. Best check with your insurance company but they may view you and your partner (partners generally are defined as living together) as one entity when it comes to suffering a financial loss on a car owned by your partner.

Also some insurance companies may insist on the other car being insured even if you drive it via third party extension on your own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Naos wrote: »
    Evening,

My partner recently bought a car and we're trying to figure out how to drive it while she sorts insurance.

- She is a named driver on my policy - I have the option to drive other vehicles.

Is it possible for me to drive the car for a few days and for her to drive mine while she sorts out the insurance?

Cheers

Why will it take sooooo long for your partner to sort their insurance?

I have no problem telling you if you let me know why that is relevant to my question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Evening,

Cheers

Ring your insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

For most Irish insurers yes driving other vehicles is covered for third party cover only for vehicles in your custody or control. Regardless of if its insured or not.

The logic is that you cannot drive both your vehicle and the "other" vehicle at the same time. I know named drivers muddy this logic but the intentions of named drivers are that they use the car rarely.

No point in getting into how this leaves insurers open to fraud etc that's for another topic but to answer OP question yes - but check with insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

big syke wrote: »

The logic is that you cannot drive both your vehicle and the "other" vehicle at the same time. I know named drivers muddy this logic but the intentions of named drivers are that they use the car rarely.

The apparent aim of the op is to attempt to use their insurance policy to cover 2 people on on 2 different cars.

Their other half will have exclusive use of the insured's car which has a valid insurance policy using the "named" driver clause.

While concurrently attempting to use the "driving other cars" clause to cover their exclusive use of the other car.

This is probably why insurance companies are moving to a situation where they require the other car to have its own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

I have no problem telling you if you let me know why that is relevant to my question.

For most people they can sort insurance with 1 phone call or buy online in minutes.... if she sorts her insurance out quickly then your question is irrevelent!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mintoe wrote: »
    Why will it take sooooo long for your partner to sort their insurance?

When I brought in a car from Portadown last year it was no problem switching insurance from vehicle to vehicle as and when needed for collection, taking to VRT, taking to NCT etc. So yeah organising insurance shouldn't take too long.

The main problem with what you are proposing would be the likelihood of both cars being driven at the same time by two different drivers.

big syke wrote: »

The apparent aim of the op is to attempt to use their insurance policy  to cover 2 people on on 2 different cars.

Their other half will have exclusive use of the insured's car which has a valid insurance policy using the "named" driver clause.

While concurrently attempting to use the "driving other cars" clause to cover their exclusive use of the other car.

This is probably why insurance companies are moving to a situation where they require the other car to have its own policy.
    I am not doing anything shady - there is no apparent aim to get around insurance policies.
    As mentioned, there is a valid reason why the insurance cannot happen in one phone call, but it is not of any relevance to the question I am asking.
    There will be two insurance policies shortly, it will not happen within the next day or two.

I am not doing anything shady - there is no apparent aim to get around insurance policies.
    As mentioned, there is a valid reason why the insurance cannot happen in one phone call, but it is not of any relevance to the question I am asking.
    There will be two insurance policies shortly, it will not happen within the next day or two.

There would however seem to be an aim of having two cars on the road at the same time with one insurance policy, other wise you would just ring up and transfer the policy from one vehicle to the other as and when required, this is what I had to do when getting my new northern reg car down and through the various stages like VRT/NCT/SGS etc. The other car was then left on the driveway uninsured.

I did after a couple of days of phoning around chopping and changing the vehicles on my policy and worrying about a 15k car being uninsured on the driveway put the new car on the wife's policy and had her park up her banger for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Go on the presumption that you are not unless your insurance company give you something in writing to the contary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

My brother was told recently by his insurance company that he can drive an uninsured car on his policy once it’s taxed and nct’ed but it’s only 3rd party. I couldn’t believe it myself but it’s true.
    I’m seriously considering buying an old Porsche as a plaything if my policy is the same, tax is the only issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

iamtony wrote: »
    My brother was told recently by his insurance company that he can drive an uninsured car on his policy once it’s taxed and nct’ed but it’s only 3rd party. I couldn’t believe it myself but it’s true.
    I’m seriously considering buying an old Porsche as a plaything if my policy is the same, tax is the only issue.

Your brother cannot be the owner of the other car he intends to drive

• Advertisement

My mobile phone provider told me I had free minutes to UK on the chat line turned out it was only Eire I would definitely get any permissions put in writing first

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Evening,

Cheers
    The only people who can give you a definitive answer are your own insurers.

jimbev wrote: »
    My mobile phone provider told me I had free minutes to UK on the chat line turned out it was only Eire I would definitely get any permissions put in writing first

Thays exactly what I said to my brother but after seeing this thread I'm certain he wasn't talking ****.

Your brother cannot be the owner of the other car he intends to drive

Yeah he is technically homeless but living with his girlfriend who is the registered owner of the car. His own car is registered to my sisters address so he is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Homer wrote: »
    I always understood the other vehicle had to have a policy of some description on it for me to use the “drive other vehicles” bit of my policy.

Aviva and Liberty are currently the only insurers who insist that in order to be covered (under 'driving other cars') when driving a borrowed car that there is currently a policy in force for that car, whether it covers you to drive it or not.

I see no reason why the OP and his GF can't do as he suggests. She is already named on his policy so she's covered to drive his car and provided his policy is not with Aviva or Liberty, he can drive her car as long as he has 'driving other cars' cover in his policy.

Well when all said and done that sounds a great car insurance policy I will look to get the same when I renew

jimbev wrote: »
    Well when all said and done that sounds a great car insurance policy I will look to get the same when I renew

It might sound like a way to drive two cars on the same policy and this has been discussed on several threads in the past.

The insurance companies' defence against this is that there are usually conditions which will trip you up. For example, Axa excludes any car owned by you, your wife or partner. And as I've already pointed out above, Aviva and Liberty will not cover you driving a borrowed car which has no policy of it's own.

OP has already read his policy and sees no such exclusion so he should be covered for occasional use.

coylemj wrote: »
    It might sound like a way to drive two cars on the same policy and this has been discussed on several threads in the past.

The insurance companies' defence against this is that there are usually conditions which will trip you up. For example, Axa excludes any car owned by you, your wife or partner. And as I've already pointed out above, Aviva and Liberty will not cover you driving a borrowed car which has no policy of it's own.

OP has already read his policy and sees no such exclusion so he should be covered for occasional use.

I'll add this to this thread as well ( from a newer thread related to driving other cars )
    I assume that the actual cert says you are covered under section 2 ( if it's 123 )

https://www.123.ie/downloads/RSAMotorPolicy1016.pdf
    This cover may not apply to Your Policy. Before driving another car please check
    Your Certificate of Motor Insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Nonsense

• Advertisement

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Nonsense

It used to be an urban myth - not any longer if you're insured with Aviva or LIberty.

==========================================================

Aviva terms & conditions for cover for 'driving other cars' includes...

a current certificate of insurance has been issued and remains in force on the Private car being driven under the Driving other cars cover

See p.17 condition no. 4 in section D 'Driving Other cars'....

http://www.aviva.ie/media-library/MotorCare-Policy-Booklet.pdf

==========================================================

Liberty: https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/car-insurance/ ..... scroll down and click the 'info' icon beside driving other cars where you will find a list of conditions, this is one of them ......

4. There is a current insurance policy in place in another person’s name that covers the other car;

Advertisement