Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-08-2018, 09:41   #1
Cilantro2000
Banned

Manager wants me gone

My manager recently told me that he thinks I'm underperforming and doesn't think I'm a right fit for the role. He said "off the record" that it might be a good idea to look for a job elsewhere, otherwise he'll have to go down the HR route. I'm in the job jist over a year, would just like to get other people's thoughts on this.
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 09:42   #2
Mr. Incognito

Send a message via Skype™ to Mr. Incognito
Do you feel they are correct?
09-08-2018, 09:46   #3
Cilantro2000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Incognito View Post
Do you feel they are correct?
Now that he actually discussed what he expects from me I can agree that I wasn't meeting those expectations, but he never had that discussion before, given I passed my probabation period I assumed I was more or less on track. I think I can meet those expecations and am closer to them now since we had our discussion. I'm through to the 2nd round interview somewhere else so hopefully I get an offer as don't fancy playing the pip game.
09-08-2018, 09:49   #4
Wanderer78

Unfair dismissal could be an interesting journey in life, but do you really wanna go down that road?
09-08-2018, 09:53   #5
Cilantro2000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
Unfair dismissal could be an interesting journey in life, but do you really wanna go down that road?
I wouldn't want to go down any road that involves a disruption to my monthly wages as have a mortgage and two kids.
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 09:56   #6
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilantro2000
I wouldn't want to go down any road that involves a disruption to my monthly wages as have a mortgage and two kids.

'increasing worker insecurity' at it's finest! Completely understand where you're coming from, you sound very deflated, I'd imagine you're doing the best you can in all circumstances. Is your manager approachable, are they reasonable?
09-08-2018, 10:01   #7
Cilantro2000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
'increasing worker insecurity' at it's finest! Completely understand where you're coming from, you sound very deflated, I'd imagine you're doing the best you can in all circumstances. Is your manager approachable, are they reasonable?
He seems to have made up his mind that I won't be able to meet these expectations, I think I can, but leaning towards just leaving now regardless as damage is done.
09-08-2018, 10:04   #8
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilantro2000
He seems to have made up his mind that I won't be able to meet these expectations, I think I can, but leaning towards just leaving now regardless as damage is done.

There's no harm in looking at your options outside of this business, but don't be pushed over either, doesn't particularly sound like the nicest working environment though
09-08-2018, 10:32   #9
Cocobeans101

I think move on. Very demoralising working for someone who won't give you a chance. If you aren't hurting your career by leaving, then I would go.

Best of luck
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 10:46   #10
skallywag

Your manager has handled this very badly.

Yes, it often happens that a team member may not be meeting expectation, but any competent manager is going to have a sit down with the employee and point this out, before coming to the stage that you are advising them to look elsewhere. I have seen many cases where a team member has taken such criticism in a positive way and acted on it, with some going on to really star in the role.

If your short to mid term future is reporting into this same manager then I would certainly look elsewhere.

Last edited by skallywag; 09-08-2018 at 11:04.
09-08-2018, 10:50   #11
punisher5112

I would be putting in a complaint to hr and keep records of all correspondence.

Do not let this Wiesel walk all over you.

Have had similar and they have tried to push me out but never succeeded.
I do my job and all I'm asked to do by the way.

Try and see are others under similar pressure or have had a similar experience without name dropping or giving all the details.
(3) thanks from:
09-08-2018, 11:00   #12
gauralordon

Very sorry to hear this is happening to you. Highly unusual that your employer would let you pass your probation period without pulling you up on things they now feel you're not up to standards on. I worked in HR and it was always drilled into us to monitor probation staff, and extend or get rid in first 6 months if they're not performing. Highly unusual also that your manager would just seemingly casually tell you they're trying to get rid of you and not offer you help, re-training, etc...

Nevertheless, I'd be inclined to now do the bare minimum work wise, look for something new, and try to get out before they let you go. Always better to leave on your terms rather than theirs.

If it really means a lot to you that your manager basically up and told you they're looking to push you out the door, I'd be advising you to weigh up the pros and cons of pursuing a complaint etc. Is the pay off worth the hassle and stress? Do you see yourself working for this company for a substantial amount of time and do you really want to stay knowing they wanted to get rid of you in the first place? It's almost always an unspoken feeling, but if you pursue a complaint, and end up staying on, your employer resents you for the hassle caused by dealing with the complaint. Trust me, I've seen the ugly side of employee-employer relations first hand.

Whatever you decide to do, always keep in mind that this company would replace you in a heartbeat regardless of whether they let you go, or you leave on your own terms.

Wishing you all the best ☺
(4) thanks from:
09-08-2018, 11:17   #13
gozunda

Firstly your 'manager' for want of a better description is way out of line imo.

The managers behaviour is extremely stupid and is effectively pushing a constructive dismissal type agenda - all against current employment law. By pushing you out - he is also attempting to circumvent having to pay you any monies you would recieve if your employer was to legally lay you off.

The manager has apparently failed to provide any opportunity for improvement via a normal review process.

A question - what is this manager like to work with? And more importantly what is the company like in relation to dealing with workplace issues? This should help you decide what you need to do next.

Whatever you decide to do - The manager needs to be reported for inappropriate behaviour.

If you do leave I would ask for an exit interview - and use that give the company the full details of your managers behaviour and your reason for leaving.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
09-08-2018, 11:36   #14
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
Firstly your 'manager' for want of a better description is way out of line imo.

The managers behaviour is extremely stupid and is effectively pushing a constructive dismissal type agenda - all against current employment law. By pushing you out - he is also attempting to circumvent having to pay you any monies you would recieve if your employer was to legally lay you off.

The manager has apparently failed to provide any opportunity for improvement via a normal review process.

A question - what is this manager like to work with? And more importantly what is the company like in relation to dealing with workplace issues? This should help you decide what you need to do next.

Whatever you decide to do - The manager needs to be reported for inappropriate behaviour.

If you do leave I would ask for an exit interview - and use that give the company the full details of your managers behaviour and your reason for leaving.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
He'd have nothing If laid off other than outstanding pay and holidays.
Thanks from:
09-08-2018, 11:45   #15
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
He'd have nothing If laid off other than outstanding pay and holidays.
Redundancy money if he is being left go as described. Not probably much but all the same the manager seems to want to go down the stupid route and risk a complaint about his behaviour and in a worse case scenario - The matter being investigated and ruled on externally...

Fairly typical bulky boy / head in the sand type of stupid management practices engaged in this country ime

Last edited by gozunda; 09-08-2018 at 11:49.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion