Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-07-2018, 11:35   #1
pooch90

Any point applying for mortgage?

Hi guys,
As indicated by the title, I'm wondering should I even dream of getting a mortgage.

I'm a permanent teacher, annual salary of 50k. Hubby has been a mix of self employed and working for a company. He has recently handed in his notice though. The self employed wages are sketchy at best and quite low.

We've about 10k saved and my mam could possibly top this up by 20k+
I've found a house I love that is 235k.

We've been paying rent of 800 And saving 450 a month. I applied for mortgages 2 years ago before we started this saving and KBC advised we'd need to save 150 a month to show our ability to pay 950/month for stress testing.
Is there any point even trying now that hubby will be back self employed and on peanuts? I'd be well able to pay the mortgage on my wages.

Should I just forget about it?
Advertisement
31-07-2018, 11:38   #2
judeboy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch90 View Post
Hi guys,
As indicated by the title, I'm wondering should I even dream of getting a mortgage.

I'm a permanent teacher, annual salary of 50k. Hubby has been a mix of self employed and working for a company. He has recently handed in his notice though. The self employed wages are sketchy at best and quite low.

We've been paying rent of 800 And saving 450 a month. I applied for mortgages 2 years ago before we started this saving and KBC advised we'd need to save 150 a month to show our ability to pay 950/month for stress testing.
Is there any point even trying now that hubby will be back self employed and on peanuts? I'd be well able to pay the mortgage on my wages.

If you are permanent take career break, 2 yrs in Emirates you could buy for cash.
31-07-2018, 12:59   #3
Cash_Q

Go to a broker, we did so and got approval while both on temporary contracts. By the time we found a house we were luckily both made permanent but we had approval before that.

I'm a teacher on point 8, husband works in admin on about half my salary, would have had less outgoings and slightly more savings per month. If your Mam is going to give you that 20k, get it now, easier for the broker to approach lenders when you have the money in the bank than on a promise
(2) thanks from:
31-07-2018, 13:32   #4
pooch90

Leaving the country isn't feasible for us unfortunately.
Yeah I'm going to approach my mam and get that cash handed over alright.
I'm on point 12 of the pay scale and possibly applying for deputy principal position. So that's an extra allowance.
So you think a broker would be best plan? Did you use Cornmarket? Was that recently you got approved?
Thanks from:
31-07-2018, 13:37   #5
brownbinman

broker was great for us. Wife is teacher and I was on probation with new job. He did all hard work and we got good deal

No harm going to one as they'll know what your chances are. I think you've very good chance to be honest
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-07-2018, 13:47   #6
zig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch90 View Post
Hi guys,

Im not sure why you're so negative about your outlook? Roughly what wages does your husband take?

Everything you've said seems to point to being able to afford a 235K house. Although I say that assuming your husband is taking something, even small, but perhaps he's literally not earning, Im not sure.
(3) thanks from:
31-07-2018, 15:37   #7
pooch90

He's just about to go back to being self employed(after 2 years in a company) so no real figures to present to a bank, even an estimate. And I'm just wary that they will want a few years of accounts, which he doesn't have.

Tbh I'm more positive about it. He's not. So I'm hoping some advice from here could push him into trying so I can get my dream house 😆
31-07-2018, 15:48   #8
zig

Ah ok, I see what you what you mean.

Based on your salary and your savings + gift you should be able to get approx €205K by yourself.

Its a tricky one alright to be fair, I see where your husband is coming from, they would probably want to see something at least regarding your husbands potential income if you're looking for more than $205K.

You would probably get away with not having a few years accounts stuff if he could show contracts and other stuff from his potential self employment work.

But if he has literally nothing to show yet then Im afraid they may only be interested in your income alright.

Id definitely have a chat with a bank though because really its only 30K more they would be making a decision on.
Thanks from:
31-07-2018, 15:48   #9
Mark1916

How about you go as the sole applicant? Leave him out of the equation when applying for the mortgage considering he's currently unemployed.
No harm in you having a conversation with a broker about this as I would say it's a case for them
Advertisement
31-07-2018, 15:50   #10
smelly sock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeboy101 View Post
If you are permanent take career break, 2 yrs in Emirates you could buy for cash.

Whats the salary in the emirates for the a teacher?
Thanks from:
31-07-2018, 16:30   #11
pooch90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1916 View Post
How about you go as the sole applicant? Leave him out of the equation when applying for the mortgage considering he's currently unemployed.
No harm in you having a conversation with a broker about this as I would say it's a case for them
They won't let us as we're married . I asked KBC and Ulster bank before.
31-07-2018, 16:33   #12
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeboy101 View Post
No you couldn't. Teaching in UAE is not very well paid for the first few years anyway. I know a number of teachers over there and they are on around the same (or less) take home pay than an equivalent teacher here. They get a bit of a bonus alright if they wait long enough but it might help towards a deposit not anywhere near the sort of cash needed to buy.
Thanks from:
31-07-2018, 16:42   #13
pooch90

Zig, thanks so much for your replies.
I think I'm just going to have to nag him into giving it a shot. If they say no then fair enough. But tbh I would think my mam might offer to top up the difference in what we'd need (within reason) If anyone would touch us.
Would you think a broker or straight to the banks?
31-07-2018, 17:24   #14
hanaimai

Banks generally look for 2 years self employed accounts I believe do it doesn't look likely they will take whatever small amount your husband earns into account. Unlikely you will qualify for an exemption either, as they are generally reserved for the 'best' cases.
Thanks from:
31-07-2018, 18:31   #15
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanaimai View Post
Unlikely you will qualify for an exemption either, as they are generally reserved for the 'best' cases.
A permanent teacher is a very safe bet for the bank though so I wouldn't rule out an exemption.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion