Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

05-07-2018, 15:09   #1
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Community Manager

Now Ye're Talking - to a diabetic

Our next guest was diagnosed with diabetes in 2010. Here's what he has to say about it.

Quote:
In relation to myself, I was diagnosed in 2010. I had symptoms long before this, but when problems started to arise, I buried my head in the sand, did the typical fella thing, and hoped it would go away. I knew what it was (there's family history), but I suppose i was in denial a bit.

As for now, married, 2 kids, and treating the diabetes is a part of life really - it's 2nd nature. I really worry about some of the kids getting it too, and the youngest lad started showing some symptoms at 18 months, luckily he didn't have it.

As for my Type, I consider myself not any specific type of diabetic, as I show characteristics of both type 1 and type 2. I'm being treated as Type 1.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-07-2018, 15:11   #2
Pelvis

Fancy a snickers?
(2) thanks from:
05-07-2018, 15:13   #3
punisher5112

Well done for tackling it as you say eventually.

Did it cause any damage such as loss of limbs?
Hope not of course.

Do you have to inject daily?

If you had of tackled sooner would you be any better off?

Thanks
(2) thanks from:
05-07-2018, 21:08   #4
Aceandstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards.ie: Niamh View Post
As for my Type, I consider myself not any specific type of diabetic, as I show characteristics of both type 1 and type 2. I'm being treated as Type 1.
Well, what type is it really? I'm Type 1 myself, and I'm sick of telling people how they are different conditions. Are you insulin-dependent Type 2, or both types at the same time or....?

Last edited by Aceandstuff; 06-07-2018 at 01:33.
05-07-2018, 22:03   #5
Mars Bar
I belong here. As do you.

What age were you when you were diagnosed and what were your symptoms?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-07-2018, 22:14   #6
Roycropper63

Many thanks for doing this.
Was diagnosed with type 2 last Monday so still trying to to get my head around it.
Had no symptoms that I was aware of. Was picked up last may 2017 with sugars a bit high on admission to hospital. And been tested since then and finally confirmed.
Do you try and avoid sugar completely or what do you have with a cup of tea etc?

Thanks Roy
(2) thanks from:
06-07-2018, 08:02   #7
Graham1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards.ie: Niamh View Post
Our next guest was diagnosed with diabetes in 2010. Here's what he has to say about it.

Quote:
In relation to myself, I was diagnosed in 2010. I had symptoms long before this, but when problems started to arise, I buried my head in the sand, did the typical fella thing, and hoped it would go away. I knew what it was (there's family history), but I suppose i was in denial a bit.

As for now, married, 2 kids, and treating the diabetes is a part of life really - it's 2nd nature. I really worry about some of the kids getting it too, and the youngest lad started showing some symptoms at 18 months, luckily he didn't have it.

I was diagnosed in 2010 too, and like yourself on the fence between 1 and 2, just wondering how old you are ? Im 40 and have to say it don't effect my life really in any way, I watch what I eat am fairly active and enjoy a glass of wine or whatever like anyone else. Has it changed your life much ? And sorry ment to say no history in the family, just a freak :-)
Thanks from:
06-07-2018, 10:50   #8
Alf Veedersane

Couple of questions as a couple of my siblings have Type 1 diabetes with very different experiences based on the age at which they are diagnosed.

Did you do much/any testing on how different foods/drinks affected your blood sugar levels?
Even managing your blood sugar levels pretty well, do you still have issues with unexpected hypos and how often does that happen?

I'll probably have more when you answer
Thanks from:
06-07-2018, 13:26   #9
I have diabetes, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelvis View Post
Fancy a snickers?
Some craic.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-07-2018, 13:28   #10
I have diabetes, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Well done for tackling it as you say eventually.

Did it cause any damage such as loss of limbs?
Hope not of course.

Do you have to inject daily?

If you had of tackled sooner would you be any better off?

Thanks
Luckily, no loss of limbs. When I was getting diagnosed, I did have a bit of damage done to the kidneys (they're still leaking protein). The pains in my legs were my main "spurring on" moment for finally going for a blood test.

I do have to inject daily, multiple times.

I'd have been far better off getting diagnosed sooner. Everyone would benefit from this, as having high blood sugar is quite damaging to the body!
(2) thanks from:
06-07-2018, 13:31   #11
I have diabetes, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceandstuff View Post
Well, what type is it really? I'm Type 1 myself, and I'm sick of telling people how they are different conditions. Are you insulin-dependent Type 2, or both types at the same time or....?
Thanks for the question! I've never been given a straight answer on this. When originally diagnosed, the staff in St. Vincent's seemed to be amazed by me, as if i was some kind of unique case (i think mainly cos my blood sugar readings were always quite high, yet my HBA1C was almost always perfect). I've had DNA testing etc done as well to try and figure out genetic stuff I don't quite understand.

I consider myself type 1, i'm being treated as such by Sligo Hospital, and am on the list for an insulin pump.

That being said, i have insulin resistance as well though, and take some medications that would be prescribed to Type 2 diabetics also. I'd like to finally have an answer to this myself.
Thanks from:
06-07-2018, 13:37   #12
I have diabetes, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Bar View Post
What age were you when you were diagnosed and what were your symptoms?
I was about 25 when diagnosed. As for symptoms, I suppose i had the classics

Huge thirst - this was the worst part. I would drink anywhere between 2 - 3 litres of water, just in bed at night. I'd wake, gasping with the thirst. Of course, all that water means you also have to pee a lot. So, there wasn't a whole lot of sleep going on.

Hunger - i was constantly hungry. I'd be craving sweet stuff the whole time. When i'd get up to pee after drinking all that water, i'd also stuff my face with bars of chocolate (snickers ) etc. What's happening here is, I either had no insulin, or the amount that my body produced was ineffective. Insulin is like a key, that opens the lock to your body's cells. If the cells are locked, no sugar can get in, meaning you have no energy. And your body cries out for sugary stuff.

Weight loss - when diagnosed I was down to 9.5 stone (from about 12). I'm nearly 13.5 now - so gone the other way).

Leg pains. Both legs had a bit of nerve damage. They were constantly aching, and would get extremely uncomfortable and restless at night. I would constantly have to move them to get some relief. My feet felt like they were in boiling water at all times. I would get these sharp jabbing pains randomly below the knee, nerves firing I suppose
(3) thanks from:
06-07-2018, 13:40   #13
I have diabetes, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycropper63 View Post
Many thanks for doing this.
Was diagnosed with type 2 last Monday so still trying to to get my head around it.
Had no symptoms that I was aware of. Was picked up last may 2017 with sugars a bit high on admission to hospital. And been tested since then and finally confirmed.
Do you try and avoid sugar completely or what do you have with a cup of tea etc?

Thanks Roy
I gave up the sugar in tea / coffee. I used to take 2 and a half spoons in both. Can't even have sweetner in the tea or coffee now.

With regard to diet and that, I don't do anything special. I count the carbs in a meal, by looking at the back of packs etc, and measure out the insulin required to "cover" these carbs. I have a specific ratio depending on time of day. So in the morning, for every 10 g of carbs, I will need 2 units of insulin - a 2:1 ratio.

There's a great app you can get for your phone called Carbs & Cals. comes in very handy as it is a visual cue to give you an idea of how many carbs there are in a meal.

It takes a while getting your head around everything. Good luck with things!
Thanks from:
06-07-2018, 13:56   #14
Stargate

Thank you for doing this AMA .

Really great idea.

Hopefully it will help inform people of the dangers of diabetes and they go get checked out. May i wish you and all your family the very best of luck and good health.
Thanks from:
06-07-2018, 14:08   #15
I have diabetes, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1978 View Post
I was diagnosed in 2010 too, and like yourself on the fence between 1 and 2, just wondering how old you are ? Im 40 and have to say it don't effect my life really in any way, I watch what I eat am fairly active and enjoy a glass of wine or whatever like anyone else. Has it changed your life much ? And sorry ment to say no history in the family, just a freak :-)
I was 25 when diagnosed.

Ah, I can't say it affected my life hugely. I had a fair bit of copping on to do with the diet I suppose, but other than that, not really. The testing and injections etc become second nature after a while
Thanks from:
Thread Closed