Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-05-2018, 17:17   #1
Outlaw Pete

Spiderman given job as a French firefighter!

Quote:
Malian 'Spiderman' awarded French citizenship and a job in the fire brigade

A Malian immigrant dubbed Spiderman for scaling four storeys to save a child dangling from a balcony in Paris will be made a French citizen after meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron this morning.

Mamoudou Gassama, 22, was hailed a hero for single-handedly hauling the four-year-old to safety after scaling the facade of an apartment block in the capital's 18th arrondissement.

The dramatic rescue, which saw Gassama clamber from balcony to balcony and reaching the child in less than 30 seconds, was captured on video and widely shared on social media. He has since been compared to the Marvel superhero Spiderman.

The four-year-old was filmed hanging on for his life outside an apartment on Rue Marx-Dormoy on Saturday afternoon, having been apparently left home alone while his father was out shopping.

Without a thought for his own safety, Gassama took just seconds to reach the child in a spectacular rescue captured on film and viewed millions of times on social networks.

The incident took place at around 8pm on Saturday in northern Paris.

According to initial inquiries by the authorities, the child's parents were not at home at the time.

The father was later held for questioning by police for having left his child unattended and was due in court later, a judicial source said. The child's mother was not in Paris at the time.

Gassama, who said he arrived in France a few months ago 'dreaming of building his life' in the country, was pictured meeting French President Emmanuel Macron at the Elysee Palace this morning.

Macron said the migrant will be made a French citizen and will also be offered a place in the fire brigade.

Personally I would have not went up as far as the balcony the boy was hanging from. I would have just scaled up to the one below it and then got the other guy to drop him to me. Rookie error there on his part but still impressive all the same.

Last edited by Outlaw Pete; 28-05-2018 at 17:27.
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 17:21   #3
SnazzyPig

Incredible video!
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 17:22   #4
Brother Andy

Absolute hero. Not many people can wear that badge. He put it all on the line and did it in style
28-05-2018, 17:23   #5
The_Kew_Tour

Legend

sad to hear story about that babies parents though
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 17:24   #6
badabing106

I feel sorry for the other man up there. He will get slagged badly forever for being non heroic
28-05-2018, 17:26   #7
wes

Feck they should have him do stunts in the next move while there at it. Amazing stuff.
28-05-2018, 17:31   #8
wakka12

Why couldnt the other man climb over the barrier between balconies and get the baby instead of a guy risking his life scaling a building???Or even swing the baby up by the arm , the climber guy swung the child up from similar angle right over the barrier. Im guessing theres a reason thats not obvious but a part of me thinks it was staged because of that. How would a child that young even be able to hold on to that bar and for that long and would a child that age even know that falling from there would mean theyd die? Its just strange all of it

Last edited by wakka12; 28-05-2018 at 17:35.
28-05-2018, 17:33   #9
RocketRaccoon

Why could the other guy not just grab the kid?
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 17:37   #10
Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Why couldnt the other man climb over the barrier between balconies and get the baby instead of a guy risking his life scaling a building???Or even swing the baby up by the arm , the climber guy swung the child up from similar angle right over the barrier. Im guessing theres a reason thats not obvious but a part of me thinks it was staged because of that
Did you see the muscles on the guy who climbed? There the muscles of a guy used to climbing or other sport. Maybe the other guy wasn’t in good shape and we could have had 2 deaths but instead the guy who could climb climbed and the guy on the balcony helped him when he got to her level.
Of course the keyboard warriors all think they could have done better but instead would have gone back into their apartment out of sight.
The whole thing was all over in 30 seconds, I doubt the child was hanging there an hour while the guy on the balcony deliberated.
28-05-2018, 17:37   #11
Brother Andy

Quote:
Why couldnt the other man climb over the barrier between balconies and get the baby instead of a guy risking his life scaling a building???Or even swing the baby up by the arm , the climber guy swung the child up from similar angle right over the barrier. Im guessing theres a reason thats not obvious but a part of me thinks it was staged because of that. How would a child that young even be able to hold on to that bar and for that long and would a child that age even know that falling from there would mean theyd die? Its just strange all of it
Maybe the gravitational pull of the flat earth was too much
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2018, 17:38   #12
riffmongous

The other guy is too far away and the wall is blocking him. The fire brigade was on the way so it was probably less risky to just make sure the kid didnt fall than try something where the boy could slip and die. Infact it seems he almost had him at the end, if the guy hadn't climbed up the man would probably have pulled him to safety

Incredible stuff from the climber though, a real hero
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2018, 17:40   #13
Captain Obvious

That was amazing. They'll expect him to use a ladder in the fire brigade though. Should be given a cape and costume instead.
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2018, 17:42   #14
Stigura

They actually gave the guy a f**king Medal too!!! Brilliant!
28-05-2018, 17:43   #15
Grayson

Quote:
I used to do rick climbing years ago. I really enjoyed it. I tried again in northern Thailand a few years ago. easy I thought. Jaysus after a minute I'd realized I'd lost so much strength. I could barely climb.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion