Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-05-2018, 01:08   #1
Sam Quentin

Smear Test Scandal

So are we about to have another enquiry?
It's already taking up valuable time in the Dail,.. with the 'opposition' parties shouting and blaming everyone but themselves!? When at the end of the day nobody as such is to blame, nothing is fool proof.. Cant we just be glad that the smear tests globally have saved millions of lives.....

Last edited by Sam Quentin; 02-05-2018 at 03:34.
Advertisement
02-05-2018, 01:11   #2

I’m terminally ill because of a very delayed breast cancer diagnosis and a lot of ineptitude on the part of doctors. It’s completely devastating. I’d actually love a small bit of compensation as it would make my now very straitened circumstances a bit easier. Would you really begrudge these people getting compensated?
(210) thanks from:
1966, 2smiggy, Alanstrainor, ali_d, aLou991, amber2, Arghus, B0jangles, backspin., Balmed Out, banie01, beebah, BellaBella, blue note, Booters, brooke 2, bubblypop, Cabaal, Calhoun, Call me Al, Can I come too..., cantdecide, captbarnacles, ceadaoin., Cessna_Pilot, cherryghost, circadian, Cork Lass, cruizer101, currants, Daisy 55, Daisy78, daisybun, Danny Donut, December2012, Deise_vixen, dexter_morgan, Digs, dinky earnshaw, Dog walker 1234, donegaLroad, Dozyart, Drumpot, Edz87, El Weirdo, electro~bitch, end of the road, endacl, Eoin, erica74, eviltwin, Fendy, fergiesfolly, Fighting Tao, fin12, FiveFingers, Flying Fox, Foxhound38, Fr_Dougal, GeordieRebel, gerrybbadd, GingerLily, Glenn Coco, GoneHome, Graces7, GraGaia, GreeBo, Green Peter, GritBiscuit, Hogzy, housetypeb, idunno78, Ineedaname, innuendo141, IrishGrimReaper, irishrebe, jackhammer, Jade182, Jambalaya, Jarren, JCX BXC, jd1983, JeffKenna, jelenka, jiltloop, jmayo, JP Liz V1, KathleenGrant, KatW4, kilsmum, Knine, kupus, LaChatteGitane, Lackey, Lia_lia, LirW, Lisha, Lollipop95, Lollipops23, longgonesilver, Loveinapril, love_love, lynardo, LynnGrace, Marje, marklazarcovic, mark_jmc, Martina1991, marvin80, Meeoow, MintyMagnum, Moghead, mojesius, Morby, Mountainsandh, Mr Magnolia, Mr.Wemmick, mrsdewinter, Muahahaha, MurmanskRun, ncmc, nee, never_mind, New Home, newo, Neyite, Nixonbot, no.8, nocoverart, o1s1n, Odhinn, partyjungle, pc7, peekachoo, Penny Tration, Persepoly, pjohnson, PopePalpatine, Postgrad10, Posy, Pretzill, PucaMama, Pwindedd, P_1, QuiteInterestin, rain on, rawn, RDM_83 again, retro:electro, Rmgblue, RobertKK, robindch, Roger Hassenforder, Rory28, Rubberlegs, saintsaltynuts, Samuel T. Cogley, scdublin, secondrowgal, selwyn froggitt, Sile Na Gig, Simi, Skid X, skittles8710, skooterblue2, SmallTeapot, smaoifs, smokie72, smokingman, smurgen, Sofia Muscular Speculator, spookwoman, Suarezistheman, sugarman, sullivlo, Summer wind, sunbeam, surrender monkey, SusieBlue, Susie_Toots, sydthebeat, tanko, techdiver, Tell me how, tigger123, tomglsn, Toots, Topgear on Dave, tradhead, Tuco88, twill, Ubbquittious, unknowngirl!!, Valentina, Vegeta, verycool, vicwatson, vladmydad, weetiepie, wes, westdublin, westernfrenzy, whiskeyman, Wildcard7, WinnyThePoo, YFlyer, Zadkiel, ziggy, _Puma_
02-05-2018, 01:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Quentin View Post
So are we about to have another enquiry and at the end of it all are lots of women going to seek cash from the Irish taxpayer as compensation...
It's already taking up valuable time in the Dail,.. with the 'opposition' parties shouting and blaming everyone but themselves!? When at the end of the day nobody as such is to blame, nothing is fool proof.. Cant we just be glad that the smear tests globally have saved millions of lives.....
What should be discussing in the dail, how climate change isnt real and that some TDs roads arent up to scratch in questions to the minister?

This is a national disgrace - it must be investigated - 17 Women are dead

Last edited by Try_harder; 02-05-2018 at 01:19.
(102) thanks from:
1966, B0jangles, Balmed Out, BellaBella, bringupthebook, brooke 2, bubblypop, Cabaal, Calhoun, captbarnacles, ceadaoin., Cessna_Pilot, Cork Lass, cruizer101, currants, Daisy78, daisybun, Danny Donut, December2012, Deise_vixen, dexter_morgan, Digs, dinky earnshaw, dizzymiss, electro~bitch, end of the road, eviltwin, Fendy, Flying Fox, Foxhound38, gerrybbadd, GingerLily, Glenn Coco, GoneHome, Graces7, GraGaia, Green Peter, GritBiscuit, housetypeb, idunno78, Ineedaname, innuendo141, jackhammer, JCX BXC, jiltloop, jmayo, JP Liz V1, K.Flyer, kilsmum, Knine, LaChatteGitane, Lackey, Lia_lia, Lollipops23, LynnGrace, Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich, Mam of 4, marvin80, MintyMagnum, Mitzy, Mr.Wemmick, ncmc, nee, New Home, newo, Neyite, no.8, Odhinn, peekachoo, Penny Tration, PopePalpatine, Posy, Pretzill, Roger Hassenforder, Sile Na Gig, skittles8710, skooterblue2, SmallTeapot, smaoifs, SnazzyPig, StabiloBoss, strandroad, sugarman, Summer wind, techdiver, testtech05, tomglsn, TommyKnocker, Toots, tradhead, Umekichi, unknowngirl!!, Valentina, vicwatson, weetiepie, westdublin, westernfrenzy, whatdoicare, whiskeyman, Wildcard7, Zadkiel, _Dara_
02-05-2018, 01:15   #4

Quote:
So are we about to have another enquiry and at the end of it all are lots of women going to seek cash from the Irish taxpayer as compensation...
If Doctors advising them that the tests they were using had a higher failure rate and were to be done more frequently for accuracy then yes- people should be held accountable
02-05-2018, 01:18   #5
SusieBlue

I’m currently going through treatment for high grade genotyping changes that were thankfully discovered during an abnormal smear test.

The whole thing has been terrifying and extremely invasive. I can’t imagine how much extra stress I would feel if I thought there was a chance they’d botched my results.
We are literally trusting these professionals with our lives. I can’t speak highly enough of the care I have received but clearly other women weren’t so lucky.

I don’t blame them for seeking compensation. Cervical cancer is the second biggest killer of women aged 25 to 39 in this country.
With statistics like that, mistakes of that proportion are unacceptable.
Advertisement
02-05-2018, 01:19   #6
Sam Quentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dara_ View Post
I’m terminally ill because of a very delayed cancer diagnosis and a lot of ineptitude on the part of doctors. It’s completely devastating.
I'm very sorry for you Dara.. I really am.
But this newest 'scandal' as it's referred to, should not be taking over our Dail and it should not be costing any of us a penny. It should be looked at by HSE and 'fixed' or re-contracted.
(2) thanks from:
02-05-2018, 01:20   #7

Quote:
But this newest 'scandal' as it's referred to, should not be taking over our Dail and it should not be costing any of us a penny. It should be looked at by HSE and 'fixed' or re-contracted.
Who should pay for it? We the state are responsible
02-05-2018, 01:20   #8
Rubberchikken

Every stupid thing is discussed in the dail. Why shouldnt a scandal of enormous inepitude not be discussed?
Women who put thrir trust in a system supposedly there to help protect them has instead through incompetence and immorality, failed them.
I dont think the irish answer of yet anothet expensive enquiry is the solution.
Heads should roll and publicly.
People should be made to answer and explain how this has been allowed. But no. Leo will hold an expensive money and time wasting enquiry and we'll be none the wiser at the end because yet another cockup will have reared its ugly head.
02-05-2018, 01:22   #9

Quote:
Well, I’m not working anymore but if I was, gotta say I'd have no problem with a tiny fraction of my taxes going toward compensation for cases like this. Taxes fund the HSE, they’ll compensate the victims. There’s not really any getting away from it. We can’t choose what our taxes are used for.
Advertisement
02-05-2018, 01:25   #10
kaymin

Quote:
How do you fix the HSEs past mistakes without it costing anything? You can't just abandon the victims as if HSE / Tony's incompetence does not require rectitude.

I'm a long suffering taxpayer like others and what I'd like to see most is some accountability in the public sector.
02-05-2018, 01:35   #11
gctest50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQuentin View Post

When at the end of the day nobody as such is to blame,
Yes they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQuentin View Post
Cant we just be glad that the smear tests globally have saved millions of lives.....

that's not the problem - mismatch in how it's all done here and abroad

- someone knew after being told about it :

Quote:
Dr Gibbons also said he and a group of "very well-qualified scientists" resigned after their concerns were allegedly dismissed.

the filthy scum should be executed for it

Quote:

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-new...-36858027.html

Dr Gibbons also said he and a group of "very well-qualified scientists" resigned after their concerns were allegedly dismissed.

"At that time, we had a backlog due to under-resourcing."

Dr Gibbons said tests were outsourced to laboratories in the US and he expressed concern about the figures they received back.

"They were predicting fewer pre-cancer cases in a batch of similar population size to us.

"We were finding 1.8 cases per 100, they were finding 1.2.

"This was a third of a difference"

Last edited by gctest50; 02-05-2018 at 01:43.
02-05-2018, 01:41   #12
Sam Quentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try_harder View Post
If Doctors advising them that the tests they were using had a higher failure rate and were to be done more frequently for accuracy then yes- people should be held accountable
Of course some system or check needs to be looked at and investigated thoroughly.. But isn't that an internal matter with the HSE and the company the work was 'outsourced' to..
Like why is it being used as 'ammunition' and brownie point gathering by opposition parties, and aired across Irish tv for the foreseeable future...
Also it should be a private matter for the ladies it effects..
02-05-2018, 01:45   #13
gctest50

Quote:

Also it should be a private matter for the ladies it effects..
Why ?
02-05-2018, 01:52   #14
Sam Quentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctest50 View Post
Why ?
Why what??
Are you suggesting it's like the Lottery,If you go public you get an extra bonus!?

You tell me why anyone outside of the woman's family should know about this sensitive private medical matter...
02-05-2018, 01:57   #15
endacl

Quote:
Please tell me you first typed a perfectly reasonable post, and then accidentally put it through a 'what would an arsehole post' filter...?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion