Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2011 Hyundai ix35 1.7 crdi

Options
  • 01-05-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

Hi

Herself has a 2011 Hyundai ix35 1.7 diesel manual.
    60,000 miles on it, has been serviced every 10,000 miles, correct oil used etc.

Driving style is local runs (not a whole lot either) BUT it does get a motorway drive 3 times a week for 40 minutes and then a 6 hour motorway drive every 6 weeks or so. i.e. not all local runs only.

I still like to work off miles and MPG :) I get roughly 440 miles out of a tank. This works out as roughly 36 MPG

Does this MPG sound bad? Its a relatively modern diesel and I thought I would have gotten better. OR is it just the shape of the car that hampers the MPG?

Anyone else have a similar car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

It's probably the short journeys/stop start driving. Fairly dreadful MPG, a hybrid would have been more suitable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

rizzee wrote: »
    It's probably the short journeys/stop start driving. Fairly dreadful MPG, a hybrid would have been more suitable...

Would you think so? I can't see the hybrid performing well on the motorway trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

I owned one around that time with that engine, I know for me at motorway speeds the engine was too small for the size / weight of the car and to maintain 120kmph the engine had to rev higher than one would expect for a diesel and drained the diesel fairly quickly. This paired with lots of small local runs means it did not get good fuel efficiency for me, but i have a heavy right foot.

Since then I have moved to 3L diesel and getting similar fuel usage in a heavier albeit sleeker car as it can potter along at much lower revs on motorway runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭obi604

OSI wrote: »
    The short runs won't see great mileage regardless of the fuel being used unless you go hybrid. And then you have the motorway runs where you're trying to push a 1 and half ton brick shaped wedge through the air with 115BHP, the same kind of power usually used by small city hatchbacks.

mmm, know what you are saying, just thought with it being a relatively modern diesel that it would get a small bit better than this, at least the 40's. just disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That figure sounds about right to me for the driving it’s doing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That figure sounds about right to me for the driving it’s doing.

What other diesel cars of this size (or Mondeo size etc) would offer better mpg for the driving style ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

obi604 wrote: »
    I still like to work off miles and MPG :) I get roughly 440 miles out of a tank. This works out as roughly 36 MPG
    Unless you're recording how much fuel you're putting in each time in order to fill the tank, then your calculations will not be accurate.

But as others have said, it seems like it's underpowered for a car of that size and weight. Most of these 1.5-1.8 litre diesels seem to exist for tax reasons and not much else.
    jca wrote: »
    Would you think so? I can't see the hybrid performing well on the motorway trips.
    Why not? The current Prius will do over 60 MPG at motorway speeds. They have improved substantially over the past 20 years.

Unless you're recording how much fuel you're putting in each time in order to fill the tank, then your calculations will not be accurate.

But as others have said, it seems like it's underpowered for a car of that size and weight. Most of these 1.5-1.8 litre diesels seem to exist for tax reasons and not much else.

fair enough, but ball park its 36 mpg,maybe if I do more exact, it may be 34 or could be 39, but still not great either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,180 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A diesel engine takes longer to warm up than a petrol car. Doing mostly short journeys means the car is not getting warmed up to be at it's most efficient. My diesel cars have always given poor mpg when driven around town, thankfully I don't do much of that.

A hybrid would be more suitable for that type of driving but spending money on changing cars to save a bit on fuel will be financially daft.

bazz26 wrote: »
    A diesel engine takes longer to warm up than a petrol car. Doing mostly short journeys means the car is not getting warmed up to be at it's most efficient. My diesel cars have always given poor mpg when driven around town, thankfully I don't do much of that.

A hybrid would be more suitable for that type of driving but spending money on changing cars to save a bit on fuel will be financially daft.

true, even if I got 15 mpg better on a different diesel car, it would save me roughly 500 quid a year on fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

You won't get a diesel that will do 50-55mpg on short trips though.

Constantly hauling the weight of any car up to speed repeatedly on stop-start trips is where any car uses the most energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,180 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

true, even if I got 15 mpg better on a different diesel car, it would save me roughly 500 quid a year on fuel.

You seem to be missing my point, a diesel engine takes longer to warm up doing short trips no matter if it's an ix35 or something else. Also even if you found one that's better on fuel, any savings will be wiped out by the cost of changing cars. You would be basically spending thousands to try and save a few hundred.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You seem to be missing my point, a diesel engine takes longer to warm up doing short trips no matter if it's an ix35 or something else. Also even if you found one that's better on fuel, any savings will be wiped out by the cost of changing cars. You would be basically spending thousands to try and save a few hundred.

I know what you mean, I may save a few pound on fuel, but will cost me thousands to change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I know somebody who had 15 or so i40's and ix35's on a fleet. They replaced mondeos and passats and the diesel bill went through the roof. They are not the most fuel efficient machines going.

I know somebody who had 15 or so i40's and ix35's on a fleet. They replaced mondeos and passats and the diesel bill went through the roof. They are not the most fuel efficient machines going.

Thanks. Sounds like they are not very efficient at all.

Compared to saloon cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Compared to saloon cars.

The 1.7 engine was the common denominator though. If you have 15 people with a trackable fuel usage and mileage throigh fuel cards and each one changes vehicle and that fuel usage increase exponentially then it tells you they are not the issue, the car is. And it was mainly i40s with a couple of ix35 passenger and commercial models thrown in.

The 1.7 engine was the common denominator though. If you have 15 people with a trackable fuel usage and mileage throigh fuel cards and each one changes vehicle and that fuel usage increase exponentially then it tells you they are not the issue, the car is. And it was mainly i40s with a couple of ix35 passenger and commercial models thrown in.

hmmm, thanks, interesting.

I actually thought there was something wrong with my car due to the crap MPG but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Try block gear changing economy driving and see does it make a difference.Depending on traffic,road conditions,traffic lights etc.yoy should be able to eg.go from first to third to fifth,or first to second to fourth to sixth.It does save fuel as gear changing is hard on it.I did a fuel saving course in a 1.9 litre van with the company I used to work with some years ago and cutting down on gear changing cut down on fuel consumption.

Try block gear changing economy driving and see does it make a difference.Depending on traffic,road conditions,traffic lights etc.yoy should be able to eg.go from first to third to fifth,or first to second to fourth to sixth.It does save fuel as gear changing is hard on it.I did a fuel saving course in a 1.9 litre van with the company I used to work with some years ago and cutting down on gear changing cut down on fuel consumption.

Thanks. Is this bad for the engine or gearbox etc ?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Is this bad for the engine or gearbox etc ?

Yes. Block changing can be effective in specific circumstances but I don’t think it’s as relevant nowadays with modern engines and transmissions. You could certainly damage a clutch/DMF by habitually doing this, and the clutch is the weak point on an IX35.

What car would be relatively ok for my driving style. ix35 or saloon size.

How much driving are you actually doing? Suppose you got a car that actually used 20% less fuel, how much would you actually be saving on fuel per month?

How much driving are you actually doing? Suppose you got a car that actually used 20% less fuel, how much would you actually be saving on fuel per month?

Hi. about 12,000 miles a year.

Driving style is local runs (not a whole lot either) BUT it does get a motorway drive 3 times a week for 40 minutes and then a 6 hour motorway drive every 6 weeks or so. i.e. not all local runs only. And used a lot at weekends

OK so you’re spending roughly €2k a year or €40 a week on fuel so something that would do 43mpg combined might save you €400 a year or €8 a week.
    Weigh that up against what it would cost to upgrade.

OK so you’re spending roughly €2k a year or €40 a week on fuel so something that would do 43mpg combined might save you €400 a year or €8 a week.
    Weigh that up against what it would cost to upgrade.

Thanks, so lets say I never had a car and had to buy a car.
    Any thoughts on what car would best suit? in the isx35/saloon size range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Thanks, so lets say I never had a car and had to buy a car.
    Any thoughts on what car would best suit? in the isx35/saloon size range.

You do have a car though :)

Advertisement