Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

20-03-2018, 17:28   #1
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Community Manager

Now Ye're Talking - to a Debt Collector

Our next guest worked as a bailiff/debt collector for 6 years in the UK enforcing warrants issued by the courts.

I'm sure he'll have some interesting stories, let's have some questions!
Advertisement
20-03-2018, 17:30   #2
PTH2009

what was the worst case you had in terms of it having an emotional effect on you ??
20-03-2018, 17:51   #3
Sinister Kid

Is there any part of the job you enjoy?

What's the most expensive thing you have seized?

Did you sleaze whole house contents? Did you ever feel pity for the person & pretend not to notice something?
20-03-2018, 18:01   #4
Stephen Hawkins football boots

You don't know where I live do you ?
20-03-2018, 18:05   #5
marklazarcovic

Ever get a slap? Is their a higher percentage of one type of person you dealt with? Who knows the game best so to speak?
Advertisement
20-03-2018, 18:09   #6
endacl

Did you ever come across any 'Freemen on the Land' in the course of your work?

Are they as funny in real life?
20-03-2018, 18:10   #7
emo72

Can imagine it's a horrible job. Why did you do it? Did you ever feel bad doing it?
20-03-2018, 18:18   #8
eurokev

What's the pay like? It has to be half decent surely to make it worth your while
20-03-2018, 18:42   #9
derekeire

Do you get commission?
Advertisement
20-03-2018, 18:57   #10
I'm a debt collector, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTH2009 View Post
what was the worst case you had in terms of it having an emotional effect on you ??
Don't think i ever had a particular one worst case, the hardest for me to deal with on a personal level was when kids were involved, some houses i visited and the debtors lived in absolute squalor, dog crap on the floor, dirty nappies all over the place, they had nothing, those were the cases that really affected me as i had 3 young kids at the time.

Of course i still had to call out but i'd be in the gaff for maybe 5mins, wouldn't even push for a payment, just return the case to the courts/council listing it as 'no effects'
20-03-2018, 19:03   #11
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Kid View Post
Is there any part of the job you enjoy?

What's the most expensive thing you have seized?

Did you sleaze whole house contents? Did you ever feel pity for the person & pretend not to notice something?
The challenge, when you went to a house and they had everything, quality house, top of the range car, 50" Plasma tv's, the challenge of getting the cases paid was the main driving factor when visiting places like this. Also the freedom to do my own hours, if i didn't fancy starting work until 11am then i didn't

Most expensive item i seized was probably a BMW car, think it was valued at around 20k, debt was 12k, when i ran the finance check and there was no finance on it then it was game over. Car was removed, debtor paid up by the end of the day, including all removal costs

I did the job for just over 6yrs and did a full house removal maybe 3 or 4 times, avoided full removals like the plague as it's a LOT of hard work, both physically and mentally with all the paperwork you have to do.
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2018, 19:04   #12
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hawkins football boots View Post
You don't know where I live do you ?
Could find out
20-03-2018, 19:09   #13
ads20101

Do you ever feel anxious or even worried when attending a collection?

The reason I ask this is there are aggressive people out there who may try to intimidate and bully themselves out of their responsibilities.
20-03-2018, 19:10   #14
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklazarcovic View Post
Ever get a slap? Is their a higher percentage of one type of person you dealt with? Who knows the game best so to speak?
Yep, got a few slaps, had bats/shotguns/knives pulled on me, in them cases we just called the police, told them what had happened and their assistance was required, police turn up and we just carried on.
Had my elbow broken (compound fracture) on 1 case, we were attacked by 5-6 lads who had nothing at all to do with the case, they just seen us pulling up and laid into us

I worked on Magistrates Courts Fine/Council Tax/Inland Revenue and i'd say maybe 75% of them were Council Estates, Slightly higher % for the fines/council tax, lower % for income tax

The Bailiff will know the game best, or he will if he's worth anything, you'd get these people who'd be screaming and shouting 'i know my rights' but whatever they did know they were wrong.
Some who actually did know the game would be straight on the phone to the council/courts, pleading poverty, apologising, begging for mercy, in some of them cases we were instructed by the client to walk way, which was frustrating when the person had an amazing house/car/goods and just didn't want to pay
20-03-2018, 19:11   #15
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by endacl View Post
Did you ever come across any 'Freemen on the Land' in the course of your work?

Are they as funny in real life?
Had to google that, Nope, never came across any
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed