Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marble City Cyclers

Hi.

For the 110/160 routes there will be a water stop (with fruit, jellies, etc.) on Coppenagh, while the main food stop for both is in Listerlin. There is then another water stop for the 160 route at Kilmaganny.

For the 44/77 routes, there is one stop - in Thomastown.

There is also pasta available at the finish in the rugby club. We will also have Matt from 95degree coffee at the rugby club on Saturday morning for your pre spin caffine hit, so dont forget some cash.

There is one small change to the 160 route. Due to roadworks on the Circular Road in Kilkenny, we are going to bring the route in by the Callan Rd this year. The change affects the last 5k or so but not any of the climbs (this is after the last climb in Kilmanagh). Junctions here will be marshalled.

Saturday is looking warm and dry during the day so hopefully we get a good crowd. Online registration is open until Thursday night but there will be an opportunity to sign up on the day as well.

Hope to see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anyone happen to have a GPX of the 77 & 110 routes? Not sure which to go for, was thinking of 110 but reading the comments on here it seems a tough route so might go 77

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Being a tough route is the whole point. Nobody signs up for flat, easy spins, do they? You can do that out your own front door for free - time to suffer with others!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

:D Im going out to check the body this evening before signing up...

I never knew there was a hill in Kilkenny until last years 160km!!

:D Im going out to check the body this evening before signing up...

I never knew there was a hill in Kilkenny until last years 160km!!

There are plenty more hills in North Kilkenny as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Looking forward to this now and having a black and amber snood / buff for the winter.

For those who haven't done the 110 / 160 before my advice is chow down on the road to Inistioge. Soon as you pass the GAA pitch there drop down to the small ring before you turn right in the village.

Next section all the way to Mullinavegas is relentless.

All I'm going to say about the last hill (Knockeenbaun) just after Kilmanagh is I used to hate walking it as a kid. Keep a little bit in reserve for this.

Lastly, the descent down the other side of the last climb is fine no need for crazy speed as I have often encountered farm machinery so take it handy enough just in case.

See ye all Saturday.

Just a reminder that online registration closes at 11pm on Thursday.

Saturday is looking warm and dry so why not come along and try out Coppenagh or Woodstock hill?

We'll post information about sign on, foodstops, etc before the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Should have a good few along who last cycled together on the Hospice Costa Verde cycle to Santiago de Compostela in June. Some will be doing the 110 and others the 160 routes. Looks like it's the same route as far as Mullinavat although there's a dotted line on the 160 map that seems to say otherwise. Say hi if you see us in our red & yellow Hospice jerseys.

Should have a good few along who last cycled together on the Hospice Costa Verde cycle to Santiago de Compostela in June. Some will be doing the 110 and others the 160 routes. Looks like it's the same route as far as Mullinavat although there's a dotted line on the 160 map that seems to say otherwise. Say hi if you see us in our red & yellow Hospice jerseys.

The 110 and 160 do go as far as Mullinavat together

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

The dotted line on the 160 map is the old 110 route (changed in 2017 I think). As stated, the 110 & 160 now divide in Mullinavat.
    Looking forward to it now.
    Briefly met you down here in 2016? I think. Same year Wishbone was complaining about the route not being tough enoughðŸ˜ðŸ˜.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    ... Same year Wishbone was complaining about the route not being tough enoughŸ˜.
    That must have been someone else. It was tougher than I expected (as I thought Co Kilkenny way relatively flat!).

You'll still take walk ins tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

It was tougher than I expected (as I thought Co Kilkenny way relatively flat!).

I made the same mistake but luckily was advised to go into the smallest gear when we were about to hit Woodstock!

You'll still take walk ins tomorrow morning?

We will. You can sign up between 6.30 and 8.30 this evening, 7.30 to 8.30 tomorrow for the 110/160 routes (leaves at 9) and between 9.30 and 10.30 for the 44/77 routes (leaves at 11)

What exit (number) do I take to get to the rugby club coming off the N9 from the Atha Cliath..

What exit (number) do I take to get to the rugby club coming off the N9 from the Atha Cliath..

Junction 9

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Tough day in the saddle as always with tour de kk I've definitely earned a few pints of ale tonight.

Putting the last hill after Kilmanagh at the end is just sadistic by the organisers :)

Well done MCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Had a dodgy stomach last night and this morning. No appetite for a breakfast so chose the 110k route instead. Met Buzwaldo and had a bit of banter. Well done to all involved. Very well organised. I don't know how you manage to get enough marshals to cover 4 routes!

(A lad crashed in front of me on a descent a few kms after Woodstock. He overcooked a tricky bend at a bridge. He said he was ok but I stayed with him for a while . Unlikely to be reading this but I hope all is well.)

Went for the 77k in the end, fairly miserable weather when I woke up so didn't fancy the 110 (wasn't staying in KK so would have had to leave at 7am). Fantastic event though, will be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Colm_D

Had a dodgy stomach last night and this morning. No appetite for a breakfast so chose the 110k route instead. Met Buzwaldo and had a bit of banter. Well done to all involved. Very well organised. I don't know how you manage to get enough marshals to cover 4 routes!

(A lad crashed in front of me on a descent a few kms after Woodstock. He overcooked a tricky bend at a bridge. He said he was ok but I stayed with him for a while . Unlikely to be reading this but I hope all is well.)

Spoke to him at the food stop, shook but generally ok, lucky considering the toss he took. He didn't go any further than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Enjoyed that today... always a tough day but always enjoyable... well done MCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Re the Marshals. That's the set up of the event. It was originally conceived to run a good event. Any money raised is just incidental - MCC don't profit. Surpluses over cost go to selected charities. The payoff is that charities provide marshals a win win situation. (Also a good few MCC members not cycling).

As Buzwaldo said, we are very lucky that our charities give us so much support on the day.

We'd like to thank everyone who took part yesterday for adding to a great day. It looked a bit dodgy between 8 and 8.55 am when the heavens opened but luckily the rain eased off just before the start time.

We hope everyone enjoyed the day, the route and the food (all leftover food was also donated to charity) and hope to see you again next year.

P.S check out our Facebook page for photos of the day and also some lost property that you may recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i did it a few years back..the 70k and i found it one tough ride...the hardest sportive i've done..the uphill stage is just too hard, my lower back hasn't been the same since

*mind you very well run event

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dexif

Thanks to MCC for a great day out. Well run and marshalled. Good food and plenty of jellies along the way. A tougher route than I had expected (did the 160) - nothing too steep (apart from that ramp out of the village) but some of those hills just keep on going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Did the 160, and it was a great route, despite a comedy slow motion fall on Woodstock (managed to put the front wheel down the gutter/ gully)

Much tougher than I was expecting, even after mapping it out Thought the food stop was great - simple sambos, lots of bananas and bars.

My only criticism was the signage when back on the Ring road. I wasnt sure of the exit, and ended up stuck on the outside a roundabout early!

My daughter seems to be really getting sucked in to cycling, so already planning the 44 or 77 next year (assuming there's no issue with under 18's doing sportives with their dad?!)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Did the 160, and it was a great route, despite a comedy slow motion fall on Woodstock (managed to put the front wheel down the gutter/ gully)

Much tougher than I was expecting, even after mapping it out Thought the food stop was great - simple sambos, lots of bananas and bars.

My only criticism was the signage when back on the Ring road. I wasnt sure of the exit, and ended up stuck on the outside a roundabout early!

My daughter seems to be really getting sucked in to cycling, so already planning the 44 or 77 next year (assuming there's no issue with under 18's doing sportives with their dad?!)

Apologies for the signage - it will be corrected next year.

Children over 12 are very welcome as long as they have adult supervision. Hope to see you and your daughter next year.

Thanks for a great day and turning off the rain at the start! I was very close to driving back home :D
    Any idea on the numbers on the 160km route?
    I was nearly ringing the breakdown number to see if I was on the right route couldnt see anyone on front or behind me...I think i seen about only 5 or 6 people in total after the food stop.
    What do youse feed the flying beasties in Kilkenny?
    Got stung on the face after trapping something in my helmet strap @ 50k made things all the more interesting on the day...still sore!

I think the routing issues would be easily solved by making the GPX files freely available on the website and Facebook page a week before the event - should be very easily doable even by taking from Strava this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

I think the routing issues would be easily solved by making the GPX files freely available on the website and Facebook page a week before the event - should be very easily doable even by taking from Strava this year

Agreed - not only for general routing purposes, but also as a way of knowing when a climb is approaching, how steep it is, and how long it goes on for. It's fine if you're local and familiar with the roads, but for the likes of myself who travels to such events all over Ireland, many of the roads are new to me (or at least they used to be!).

Of course, there is always the possibility of unavoidable changes to the route late in the day due to roadworks, bad weather or what have you, but at least having some sort of mostly-accurate route to follow is very handy. That being said, even when GPX'es are provided, there are still those who just can't be bothered (or don't know how) to load them ("sure someone else will have the route!")

Advertisement