Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny 2019

Options
  • 16-03-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi folks.

Marble City Cyclers are delighted to announce that they will be hosting the tenth edition of the Tour de Kilkenny on Saturday 4th of August, 2018. In the last nine years, Tour de Kilkenny has raised over €100,000 for charity and we hope that with your help, we can raise even more funds.

The 2018 Tour de Kilkenny will run 40KM, 70KM, 120KM and 160KM routes. There is a route to cater for cyclists of all abilities meaning this is a great day out for the family, a group of friends or work colleagues. Or why not make a weekend out of it and enjoy the famous nightlife and hospitalities that Kilkenny city has to offer.

All four routes will leave the Kilkenny Rugby Club. Sign-on (which is obligatory, even for those who registered online) is opened at the Kilkenny Rugby Club on the night before the cycle (Friday 3rd August 2018) and on the morning of the cycle. Times to be confirmed.

With the Sean Kelly tour not running this year (hopefully it returns), we are aiming to be the biggest sportive in the South East this year.

As many of you know, this is a great day out with challenging routes that have surprised many newbies.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'll be there for sure... always very well organised and a very challenging 160km route.... one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

How much climbing is in the 160 route? (in meters)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

2000 from a strava file i found online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

1,800 metres based on my Strava file from 2016 event

Lovely. Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Marble City Cyclers

Officially it is 1860m but feel free to add on a bit more if you like!

Route details can be found at www. tourdekilkenny. com (remove spaces)

Officially it is 1860m but feel free to add on a bit more if you like!

Route details can be found at www. tourdekilkenny. com (remove spaces)

Thanks very much. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1,800 metres based on my Strava file from 2016 event
    My one from 2016 is giving 2,234m.

https://www.strava.com/activities/658825366

**BUMP**

Just over 2 weeks to go until this years Tour de Kilkenny.

Thanks to Kinetica Sports, anyone who enters online at tourdekilkenny.com will be automatically entered into a draw for one of 5 Kinetica goodie bags.

Hope to see you in the marble city on August 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

My one from 2016 is giving 2,234m.

https://www.strava.com/activities/658825366

you probably cycled down to the start though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Signed up and plan to do the 160 again this year. Great to have the Bank holiday to recover after it.

Thanks to everyone who have signed up. Online registration closes at midnight on Thursday 2nd. Registrations will also be taken on the day. Everyone who registers online will automatically be entered into a draw for 1 of 5 sports nutrition packs that have been sponsored by Kinetica Sports.

The weather is looking good for Saturday so why not come down to the marble city and challenge yourself to a tough but enjoyable sportive?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

This is one of the best events in the country and a real good test. It has everything and with about 2000m of climbing. The numbers should be great this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Best of luck to all involved. I can't make it home this weekend, disappointed to be missing this. Superb event

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Enjoyed that, very well marshalled and decent plentiful food at various stages. We'll worth the 30 quid. probably couldv thrown in an extra water stop considering the heat but otherwise a great day out. Really enjoyed the pace and some great groups, the hills were really brutal, some of them just went on and on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Some quicker lads I know had great fun looking at Strava, mad gallop all day long.

These Sportive races are great craic!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Great event today lads, well done to all involved in setting it up, registration, marshalling, food stops - all run very efficiently

Love the route tough and all as it is - always keep you honest......no hiding place in 160kms of constant up and down !

Looking fwd to 2019 event already !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

God that 110 Km is a tough one. Constant climbing and descending, its tougher than most 160's .superbly organised as usual so quodos to everyone for taking the time. I had a close call when some eejit ignored a steward flagging and kept going at the 110/160 split. A few expletives were unleashed.A nice feed and chats at the finish Loving the medal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

God that 110 Km is a tough one. Constant climbing and descending, its tougher than most 160's .superbly organised as usual so quodos to everyone for taking the time. I had a close call when some eejit ignored a steward flagging and kept going at the 110/160 split. A few expletives were unleashed.A nice feed and chats at the finish Loving the medal as well.

It's not too bad till Inistioge but then it's pure torture!! Even the stretch home is always a nightmare - headwind with slight inclines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Enjoyed from start to finish...
    Well done to all will sign up for next year..
    Now to find the right event to wear a Kilkenny Tshirt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I think the 160K should start earlier than 9 o'clock. There are few who are well capable of this distance but with food stops added, the total time could be over 7 hours and the sense of achievement could be lessened when returning to a nearly empty place.

Thanks to everyone for taking part in running this great event!

Thanks to everyone who took part in another successful TdeKK. Hopefully everyone had a good day.

We are planning to send out a questionnaire to all who took part this year, looking for feedback (positive and negative) in order to improve the event next year. Please feel free to contact us if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again to all who took part - both cyclists and volunteers.

Hi folks.

Marble City Cyclers are delighted to announce that they will be hosting the tenth edition of the Tour de Kilkenny on Saturday 4th of August, 2018. In the last nine years, Tour de Kilkenny has raised over €100,000 for charity and we hope that with your help, we can raise even more funds.

The 2018 Tour de Kilkenny will run 40KM, 70KM, 120KM and 160KM routes. There is a route to cater for cyclists of all abilities meaning this is a great day out for the family, a group of friends or work colleagues. Or why not make a weekend out of it and enjoy the famous nightlife and hospitalities that Kilkenny city has to offer.

All four routes will leave the Kilkenny Rugby Club. Sign-on (which is obligatory, even for those who registered online) is opened at the Kilkenny Rugby Club on the night before the cycle (Friday 3rd August 2018) and on the morning of the cycle. Times to be confirmed.

With the Sean Kelly tour not running this year (hopefully it returns), we are aiming to be the biggest sportive in the South East this year.

As many of you know, this is a great day out with challenging routes that have surprised many newbies.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

And we're back...

Following last years record numbers, the 2019 Tour de Kilkenny takes place on August 3rd - our 11th event.

Booking is now open at www.tourdekilkenny.com

The entry price has remained unchanged with all proceeds going to charity.

If you have any questions feel free to give us a shout.

Hi all. Just a quick reminder that the Tour de Kilkenny is coming up on August 3rd.

As with last year, we have 4 routes - 44,77,110 and 160k - something to suit everyone. They are also surprisingly challenging!

As usual all proceeds go to charity.

Registration is open at www.tourdekilkenny.com or through the Marble City Cyclers website.

Hope to see you all in Kilkenny for the bank holiday weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hi, are the routes available as gpx/ tcx? Or does anyone who has done it previously got the 160 route (assuming it hasn't changed). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Hi, are the routes available as gpx/ tcx? Or does anyone who has done it previously got the 160 route (assuming it hasn't changed). Thanks.

I plan to do it as well. Here is 160km route I found. Hope it hasn't changed. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30513005

No, it's spot on. Been the same since started doing it. It wasn't last year! ;-) I mean when I started it, the route is the very same relentless one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Registered for the 160. Haven't done it since 2016.

Are there 2 food stops? I have a vague recollection of one at a rural school but can't remember if there's a second.

• Advertisement

Going by the maps, there are 3: Thomastown(beside the road), Listerlin(Tullogher GAA pitch) and Kilmoganny(in front of the school). Sometimes it happens that there's a 4th one in Callan but to be honest, once you make it to 140 km, you just want to make the final push instead of sitting around.

Advertisement