Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Flood risk with heavy rain and strong winds

• 13-03-2018 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Very surprised to see no thread for this event which is certain while plenty of talk about possible snow showers!!

Anyway weather warnings in effect with real risk of flooding in southern areas

Warnings details:

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Leinster, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Southeast winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts between 90 and 100km/h. Winds strongest along southern areas at first but gradually extending to all parts of Leinster by late morning and afternoon.

Issued:Tuesday 13 March 2018 13:00
    Valid:Wednesday 14 March 2018 08:00 to Wednesday 14 March 2018 18:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Waterford
    Periods of heavy rain overnight and on Wednesday will lead to accumulations of 30 to 50mm generally, with some larger amounts on higher ground. Some localised flooding expected.

Issued:Tuesday 13 March 2018 21:00
    Valid:Wednesday 14 March 2018 03:00 to Wednesday 14 March 2018 23:59

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
    Periods of heavy rain overnight and on Wednesday will lead to accumulations of 40 to 50mm generally, with some larger amounts on higher ground. Some localised flooding expected.

Issued:Tuesday 13 March 2018 21:04
    Valid:Tuesday 13 March 2018 21:00 to Wednesday 14 March 2018 15:00

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Definitely deserves a thread as this could be a potent event for Southern Counties especially.
    Winds here in Waterford City gusting to 50km/h currently and gaining strength. Awful day all told tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Could be 50mm+ quite widely across the south in the next 24 hours. Looks like I might be in the Wicklow Mountains rain shadow here so hopefully might escape without too much

aromehd-25-29-0_knx9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deluging and a roaring gale here in West Mayo and not a mention on met.ie of Connaught...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

11mm already in Tullow since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Just had to run after bins etc. that had blown loose last night. (South Tipp) There are tree branches down and these gusts feel like Darwin. This is only a Status Yellow?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've not seen indication that the wind gusts are higher than orange creiteria? Perhaps it's the wind direction you are more liable to?

Certainly not gusts like Darwin, that was downright scary here.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I've not seen indication that the wind gusts are higher than orange creiteria? Perhaps it's the wind direction you are more liable to?

Was thinking the same thing on the way to work (Cork City). While not very scientific a measure, the rain was blowing horizontally!

Villain wrote: »
    Very surprised to see no thread for this event which is certain while plenty of talk about possible snow showers!!

Snow will always attract attention, and has the potential for lots of disruption.

A yellow wind/rain event occurs several times each year, and isn't even a named storm.

I'm very surprised to see a thread at all, and personally think it's unnecessary.

Snow will always attract attention, and has the potential for lots of disruption.

A yellow wind/rain event occurs several times each year, and isn't even a named storm.

I'm very surprised to see a thread at all, and personally think it's unnecessary.

The flooding today will cause actual disruption, already flooding in Carlow being reported to me.

More to weather than snow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust of 78km/h here in Waterford City with 17.5mm of rain since Midnight

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

It might be the wind direction, yeah. I've just never worried about trees blowing over/electricity going during a status yellow storm (rarely even worry about that when there's an orange warning out).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Serious gusting here in Cork at Hollyhill . Was actually stopped in my tracks by some of the gusts , certainly feels like the strongest wind and gusts of 2018 so far

17mm of rain and 85kmh gust so far in Tullow

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Tazio

Serious gusting here in Cork at Hollyhill . Was actually stopped in my tracks by some of the gusts , certainly feels like the strongest wind and gusts of 2018 so far

I'd agree with that.... it's good an gusty at the airport at moment [09:48h]

CORK AIRPORT SE 33 Gust 45 MODERATE RAIN 9 100 3.3 981

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Deluging and a roaring gale here in West Mayo and not a mention on met.ie of Connaught...

The BANSHEE has arrived... such screaming wind as I have never heard before... West Mayo offshore island. sideways deluge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Foul weather, some notable gusts hidden in this wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One of the local hotels took down their flood defences just the other day after threats from flooding after the thaw subsided. With the Slaney running higher than normal and all this rain I'd be putting them back up if I was the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭Macy0161

One of the local hotels took down their flood defences just the other day after threats from flooding after the thaw subsided. With the Slaney running higher than normal and all this rain I'd be putting them back up if I was the owner.
    That might have been premature even on the thaw front - I went the higher route home last night, and was surprised about the amount of lying snow in shaded areas, that will be fast disappearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Did not expect the rain to be so heavy in the West, its been raining since last night we had torrential rain around 4am this morning and its still coming down, looking at ME Radar its going to last for the day, they said the worst would be in the South and East but the radar tells a very different story.

94kmh gust at my station with 20mm now, that’s the worst gust in a good while
    https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/973877194693971968?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Cork981

One of Cork Institute of technology’s car parks has been closed due to wind damage to a mast.

https://www.facebook.com/myCIT/posts/1620490911321326

Certainly feels windier than expected here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Hammering down with rain here in south Tipp since last night, & no sign of it letting up anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Escaping the heavy rain here, mostly cloudy with the odd misty spell of rain, fierce windy tjough

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

15.0mm so far here in Dublin 16. Desperate day!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Tazio

CORK AIRPORT SE 37 Gust 55 LIGHT RAIN 9 99 1.6 976 reported at 13:00h on Met. The airport is wild

Gust of 89km/h recorded in the last hour in Waterford City

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Villain wrote: »
    94kmh gust at my station with 20mm now, that’s the worst gust in a good while
    https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/973877194693971968?s=21

River Burren has burst its banks in Myshall so Carlow town is in for a deluge.

Deedsie wrote: »
    When is this due to pass? Cant see any radar images anywhere for the rest of today. Sick of this unsettled weather.

Will be around 10pm before it clears southeast.

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/973923671575318528?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wind still blowing a bit but rain has stopped. Mid cork

• Advertisement

Winds died down slightly, rains stopped and Suns out here in West Clare.

Nothing more than a wet day here, weren't in the warnings anyway. Slightly windier than I expected, (as seen at Cork which got a gust of 55kts however, still within Yellow creiteria.

Advertisement