Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-02-2018, 21:51   #1
onmarko

Free Parking

Hi guys

Any free parking spots around the city centre?

Renting one is just crazy now cost wise

Thanks
Advertisement
13-02-2018, 10:09   #2
Caliden

Somehow I doubt people will tell you their treasured free parking spot locations.
13-02-2018, 10:17   #3
LollipopJimmy

You'll be doing well. I live in Dublin 8 and even a lot of the residential areas are pay and display or permit parking.

Are you working in the City? Public transport or cycling is the job if you are, driving in is madness.
(2) thanks from:
13-02-2018, 10:21   #4
GBX

Costs are high because of the demand. And for free spots you'd need to be lucky to get one - never mind on a regular basis!
13-02-2018, 12:41   #5
amtc

I park on the cabra road or the north circular
Advertisement
13-02-2018, 20:58   #6
Gavin "shels"

Send a message via MSN to Gavin "shels"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LollipopJimmy View Post
You'll be doing well. I live in Dublin 8 and even a lot of the residential areas are pay and display or permit parking.
I think most people prefer P&D now - Dublin 8 is a disaster in the mornings with cars parking everywhere.
14-02-2018, 12:14   #7
CalRobert

Whoa wait there's free land in city centre where I can put my stuff all day long? Where??!?? I'd love to build a house on it.
14-02-2018, 12:25   #8
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin "shels" View Post
I think most people prefer P&D now - Dublin 8 is a disaster in the mornings with cars parking everywhere.
It's brutal, we have cars abandoned on footpaths where I live, the Guards have removed a couple that were blocking the path for wheelchair users.

I work in the area too and we have parking outside of our office and when I arrive here our 8(on our property so actually our spaces) spaces are full and I'm usually first in. Anywhere close to a Luas stop is a disaster
14-02-2018, 19:26   #9
Chris_5339762

It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow. It should be free and you just pay your Luas ticket. Its a very simple way of getting a lot of cars off the roads. Free P&R on the M50 with public transport onwards.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2018, 20:09   #10
CalRobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow. It should be free and you just pay your Luas ticket. Its a very simple way of getting a lot of cars off the roads. Free P&R on the M50 with public transport onwards.
Why free?
14-02-2018, 20:41   #11
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRobert View Post
Why free?
Because people are more likely to use it. When you add P+R fees to fares, particularly if you have multiple people in the car, it can come close to or go over city centre parking and people don't use the P+R
14-02-2018, 20:50   #12
CalRobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Because people are more likely to use it. When you add P+R fees to fares, particularly if you have multiple people in the car, it can come close to or go over city centre parking and people don't use the P+R
Just seems like you're saying even 4 euro a day is too much, which is weird since I would happily buy up 5 or 6 parking spots next to the line (4*30*6 is only 720 a month), rip out the parking and put in housing. But I'm not allowed to do that.

More generally, maybe putting people near the line makes more sense than putting cars near the line, since cars can't ride Luas. Also, why make other riders who don't use parking pay for your car storage?

Related: https://www.economist.com/news/brief...d-urban-sprawl
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2018, 20:53   #13
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
It's a poor use of space, though. Good urban planning practice says that when you have a load of space with a public transport connection, you build housing on it, not car parks.
Thanks from:
14-02-2018, 20:55   #14
CalRobert

Not to mention...
"It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow."

I'm no economist, but if you have to make it free to get people to use it, maybe there's not much demand.
14-02-2018, 21:22   #15
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
Would it not make sense to do a bit of both? Presumably it's not completely impossible to build an apt block with 2 levels of car parking (basement level, perhaps) (to accommodate residents and general public)?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion