Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage drop in house - what to expect

Options
  • 04-02-2018 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭

I have the upgraded 16kVA supply.
    I have a heat pump and an electric car (6.6kW). I also run various appliances at night (dishwasher and dryer mainly).

Everything has been running fine until the last few months when the heat pump has tripped twice (at 5:30am and 5:50am) for what appears to be low voltage based on the alarm it threw. It was an internal breaker on the Heat pump that tripped, not the breaker in the distribution board.

When the heat pump comes on the lights do flicker/dim.
    I don't have any other issues or switches tripping etc.

I have a UPS which shows voltage and I also have one of those cheaper plugin type energy monitors and it shows voltage as well.... its generally steady enough at 230V but I have seen it go as low as 216V when multiple items are running (particularly heat pump and car). Every item I turn on drops it another few volts.

I suspect its going lower than 216V, particularly on heat pump startup, but I just haven't observed it yet.

I have sent an email to the ESB to request a voltage monitor as per their web page
    https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/voltage-issues

As per that page they are allowed ±10% of 230V so 207-253V is "allowed".

So, my questions....

1)
    What is the boards wisdom on this. Do you have to regularly drop below 207V for the ESB to do anything or is it enough to have it happen once or twice to "force" them to do something about it?

2)
    If they do agree I have a voltage issue, what is the actual solution? Is it a new transformer? FYI: It is a shared transformer with about 4 other houses.

Anyone here had voltage issues and had it solved by ESB. If so, how did they resolve it?

3)
    If its a new transformer what size one should I be "insisting" on. I know I can't insist on anything as such but I'd still like to know so I can push things.

thanks

Comments

ESB are only responsible for the voltage at the distribution board. The rest of the installation is your own and ought to be spec-ed to a maximum of 3% drop.

They can tweak the secondary winding of the transformer to suit. The higher the transformer output though the less power you can push onto the grid if you get solar PV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If the voltage is a little low, the heat pump compressor starting will be slightly slower getting up to speed, and so could trip its breaker due to a slightly longer starting current duration. This tripping would be at startup or just after.

If the voltage is badly low, it might trip due to a higher running current than normal because its not up to proper speed (motor slip is higher with low voltage). This tripping might be while it is running a while.

Or possibly the heat pump or its compressor has a problem.

The heat pump starting would probably cause a noticeable dip in voltage at the instant of starting, in most houses, even when all is functioning properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks for the input. You'll need to educate me here.

ESB are only responsible for the voltage at the distribution board. The rest of the installation is your own and ought to be spec-ed to a maximum of 3% drop.

When you say it should be spec'd for 3% drop, are you referring to cable sizes and lengths?

I'm reasonably confident the cable sizes etc are good particularly for the heat pump and car charge point as they have dedicated cables and are sized according to spec. (e.g. charge point has 10mm2 cable).

Everything else in the house is run of the mill really (No electric shower) and at the times in question everything else would be off anyway.

They can tweak the secondary winding of the transformer to suit. The higher the transformer output though the less power you can push onto the grid if you get solar PV.

Can you explain that?

Solar PV is a distinct possibility in the years ahead so Im interested what the issue is there. I thought exporting to the grid was simply a case of excess kW's. How does the transformer windings inhibit you exporting?

If you have a meter with min/max mode you can make a set of "probes" from a 13A plug and let it sit there recording as long as the battery lasts (4-5 days).
    Flukes don't auto-sleep in min/max mode...dunno about the rest.

I'm sure someone will be along to say that such "an appliance" is illegal to plug into your house but the reality is it's safer than dangling probes from a socket.

Bruthal wrote: »
    If the voltage is a little low, the heat pump compressor starting will be slightly slower getting up to speed, and so could trip its breaker due to a slightly longer starting current duration. This tripping would be at startup or just after.

If the voltage is badly low, it might trip due to a higher running current than normal because its not up to proper speed (motor slip is higher with low voltage). This tripping might be while it is running a while.

Or possibly the heat pump or its compressor has a problem.

The heat pump starting would probably cause a noticeable dip in voltage at the instant of starting, in most houses, even when all is functioning properly.

System was recently serviced and no issues found so Im hoping there isn't anything up there.

Interestingly on both occasions it has tripped it was on the night that it was doing its legionella boost. Maybe it was using additional power to achieve that.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    When you say it should be spec'd for 3% drop, are you referring to cable sizes and lengths?

I'm reasonably confident the cable sizes etc are good...

Yes, exactly. It's something you can measure or calculate, don't assume because some lad said....

Can you explain that?

Very simple principle of opposing voltages. The higher the incoming voltage the less available current your system has because it needs to maintain a higher voltage to get the power out the door. The Grid Tie Inverter is a syncing switching regulator that needs to be higher than the incomer to push against it or deliver power to the house loads.

Not that it matters an awful lot in Éire because they won't pay you for export.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have the upgraded 16kVA supply.
    I have a heat pump and an electric car (6.6kW). I also run various appliances at night (dishwasher and dryer mainly).

If you look at 525 in the National Rules for Electrical Installations you will see the following:

525.1 Under normal serviceable conditions, the voltage at the terminals of any current-using equipment shall be not less than the lower limit set by the manufacturer.

Based on this:
    1) Do you know what the lower limit set by your manufacturer is for your heat pump?
    2) Have you taken this measurement under load conditions when other large loads are also on? - If so what voltage did you measure?

525.2 The cross-sectional area of every current-carrying conductor shall be such that the drop in the voltage between the main supply point in the installation is not more than the following when the conductors are carrying the full load current:

- 4% of nominal voltage in installations and parts of larger installations rated not greater than 80A, circuits at extra low voltage excepted.

According tot eh above:
    As the nominal voltage is 230 VAC this means that the maximum permissible volt drop is 9.2 VAC (**** 4% of 230).

**** Note: The ETCI have issued a few corrections / clarifications over the years so this 4% value may have changed. Perhaps other posters can advise. I am a little out of touch as I have been working on projects outside of Ireland for the last few years.

I have a UPS which shows voltage and I also have one of those cheaper plugin type energy monitors and it shows voltage as well.... its generally steady enough at 230V but I have seen it go as low as 216V when multiple items are running (particularly heat pump and car).

Hardly a calibrated test instrument, but perhaps it is an accurate reading.
    Every item I turn on drops it another few volts.

This is because volt drop is a function of two things:
    1) Resistance
    2) Current.

So if you increase the resistance of any conductor within the circuit or increase the current flowing (by connecting more loads) thee volt drop will increase.
    1)
    What is the boards wisdom on this. Do you have to regularly drop below 207V for the ESB to do anything or is it enough to have it happen once or twice to "force" them to do something about it?

You did the right thing by contacting the ESB. They will assess with proper test equipment over a protracted period.

2)
    If they do agree I have a voltage issue, what is the actual solution? Is it a new transformer? FYI: It is a shared transformer with about 4 other houses.

It could be. This will be decided on a case by case basis.
    3)
    If its a new transformer what size one should I be "insisting" on. I know I can't insist on anything as such but I'd still like to know so I can push things.

Leave that to the ESB. You can help them size it by providing them with an accurate description of your load profile.
    I'm reasonably confident the cable sizes etc are good particularly for the heat pump and car charge point as they have dedicated cables and are sized according to spec. (e.g. charge point has 10mm2 cable).

Just because the cables are 10 mm sq. does not mean that they are correctly sized. For all you know the volt drop on the cable between the ESB meter and your distribution board is undersized. Therefore the volt drop is too high before it even reaches the 10 mm sq. Remember one of the factors that should influence cable size is the length of cable run.

Please answer the following:
    How long is your 10 mm sq. circuit to the heat pump?
    How many kW is the heat pump?
    How long is the cable run from the ESB meter to your distribution board? I would think that this cable should be a minimum of a 25 mm sq.

Thanks, for the input

2011 wrote: »
    1) Do you know what the lower limit set by your manufacturer is for your heat pump?
    2) Have you taken this measurement under load conditions when other large loads are also on? - If so what voltage did you measure?

1) I don't know. I'm looking at the spec sheet for it and it doesn't list it. I will dig a bit more.
    2) As you have said, I don't have industry grade measurement tools and I don't have a profile of the figures over time... just snapshots in time. I've seen it go to 216V with car, heat pump and general background house load.

Hardly a calibrated test instrument, but perhaps it is an accurate reading.

True. UPS's tend to be fairly accurate though. They are protecting equipment from low/high voltage so its not ****e electronics they are selling. The figure given by the UPS for voltage is the same the voltage figure I get from the plugin monitor so I'm inclined to believe the figures its giving me.

I agree its the ESB's equipment is what is required though and have a profile of the voltage over time.

Leave that to the ESB. You can help them size it by providing them with an accurate description of your load profile.

Will do. I am also planning on adding a second EV to the house so I will let them know and hopefully they will action accordingly. I am a heavy electric user and thats why I paid extra for the 16kVA connection so I'm hoping they resolve it if it is on their side.

Just because the cables are 10 mm sq. does not mean that they are correctly sized. For all you know the volt drop on the cable between the ESB meter and your distribution board is undersized. Therefore the volt drop is too high before it even reaches the 10 mm sq. Remember one of the factors that should influence cable size is the length of cable run.

I'm confident of the tails from the meter to my board is correct. It was sized on the basis of a 16kVA connection when the house was built. I paid extra for the tails once the electrician realised I was getting a 16kVA connection.

Im also confident of the charge point cable, if anything that's over sized.

I haven't eyeballed the heat pump cable. I'll double check that one. The heat pump was installed by a reputable company and the wiring was done by my own electrician under their instruction and they cross checked so they had no reason not to pull up my electrician on it if he under sized it. It would in their best interest to call him out so I'm assuming its good but I will double check.

Please answer the following:
    How long is your 10 mm sq. circuit to the heat pump?
    How many kW is the heat pump?
    How long is the cable run from the ESB meter to your distribution board? I would think that this cable should be a minimum of a 25 mm sq.

The 10mm2 was for the charge point. I need to double check the HP cable.

The HP is rated 12kW output. (NIBE F1145 12kW)

About 20m, at a reasonable guess, from the distribution board to the meter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2) As you have said, I don't have industry grade measurement tools and I don't have a profile of the figures over time... just snapshots in time. I've seen it go to 216V with car, heat pump and general background house load.

If a correct reading this is not good.
    True. UPS's tend to be fairly accurate though.

You can't make a blanket statement like that.
    Some are, some aren't. You get what you pay for.
    They are protecting equipment from low/high voltage so its not ****e electronics they are selling.

In every case? I don't agree.
    For example, look at this beauty, it costs less than £40, somehow I doubt it is high quality.
    The figure given by the UPS for voltage is the same the voltage figure I get from the plugin monitor so I'm inclined to believe the figures its giving me.

It is not my intention to say that you necesserialy have inaccurate measurements, I am just pointing out that perhaps they are inaccurate.
    I am a heavy electric user and thats why I paid extra for the 16kVA connection so I'm hoping they resolve it if it is on their side.

Right now you can't be sure that the issue is not on your side. It is also possible that there is an issue on both sides.
    I'm confident of the tails from the meter to my board is correct. It was sized on the basis of a 16kVA connection when the house was built. I paid extra for the tails once the electrician realised I was getting a 16kVA connection.

It would be interesting to know the following with all measurements taken at the same instant:
    1) What the voltage is at the meter box at a time of heavy (but normal) load use.
    2) What the voltage is at distribution board at a time of heavy (but normal) load use.
    3) What the voltage is at the heat pump at a time of heavy (but normal) load use when the heat pump is running.
    Im also confident of the charge point cable, if anything that's over sized.

Perhaps it is, but it dose not necessarily follow that the heat pump is.
    I haven't eyeballed the heat pump cable. I'll double check that one. The heat pump was installed by a reputable company and the wiring was done by my own electrician under their instruction and they cross checked so they had no reason not to pull up my electrician on it if he under sized it. It would in their best interest to call him out so I'm assuming its good but I will double check.

Also check length of run.
    About 20m, at a reasonable guess, from the distribution board to the meter.

That is a long cable run!
    So if we look at this table we can see that the volt drop per amp per meter for a 16 mm sq. T & E cable is 0.0028 volts.

So let's say you are drawing65 A and your distribution board is fed with a 16 mm sq. T & E cable (a pretty standard cable for supplying distribution boards) then:
    The volt drop on a 16 mm sq. cable is = 65 x 20 x 0.0028 = 3.64 V
    So this means that the volt drop from the distribution board to the heat pump should not exceed 5.56 volts (max. permissible VD of 9.20 - 3.64 volts)
    The HP is rated 12kW output. (NIBE F1145 12kW)

So what size electrical load is it? If the output is 12 kW the electrical input will be considerably less.

Let me eyeball those cables later today and I'll be back to you.

• Advertisement

You can't make a blanket statement like that.
    Some are, some aren't. You get what you pay for.

Of course. I did say "tend" rather than a blanket statement! :)

FYI: My UPS is an APC. Not in the cheap Chinese bracket anyway.

Im not under any illusions here. I understand it requires proper test gear, which is why I've asked ESB to come out with theirs.

That is a long cable run!

I've eyeballed the cables.

The tails from meter to distribution board is 25mm² and is about 20m. Probably less.

The car charge point is using 10mm² and is about a 25m run from the distribution board.

The Heat pump is right next to the distribution board, so give it 1-2m max.
    I can only see a few inches of the heat pump cable and it doesn't have a marking on that piece but is the same size as the charge point cable. e.g. The diameter of the red cable is ~6mm. Its the same as the car charge point so I'm 99% sure the HP is using 10mm² cable as well.

Also bear in mind that the two trips I've had happened at 5:30am and 5:50am so the only things running would be the heat pump and car charger so as long as those two things are sized/wired correctly I think my internal wiring should stand up to scrutiny but lets see what ESBn say.

So what size electrical load is it? If the output is 12 kW the electrical input will be considerably less.

Its COP is 4.81 and since its rated at 11.88kW output, its input is around 2.47kW according to the spec sheet. It can go beyond that though, if it needs additional power it can call on it via an internal immersion heater. It rarely uses that though but maybe it is using it at the times it tripped. As I said, the two times it tripped it was during its legionella program where it boosts the water to kill bacteria.

I'll fire off an email to the installers and see if they can tell me what min voltage the HP will tolerate.

From what you have described it sounds like your cables are of sufficient size. I think you are making the correct call in contacting the ESB. Please update us as to their findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As per that page they are allowed ±10% of 230V so 207-253V is "allowed".
    Not quite correct. The supply tolerances are 230V +10%/-6% in some jurisdictions (where it was traditionally 240V) and 230V +6%/-10% in others (where it was traditionally 220V).

I don't believe the +/-10% tolerance ever came into force yet.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Not quite correct. The supply tolerances are 230V +10%/-6% in some jurisdictions (where it was traditionally 240V) and 230V +6%/-10% in others (where it was traditionally 220V).

I don't know but the link I gave is from the ESB Networks website and they were quoting the appropriate EU regulation.

Are they quoting wrong figures for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Risteard81 wrote: »

I don't know but the link I gave is from the ESB Networks website and they were quoting the appropriate EU regulation.

Are they quoting wrong figures for themselves?

I too have a recollection that the CER require something tighter than +\-10%

The time that the trip occurs might be interesting - maybe there’s a local (local to the MV network) heavy load coming on like a pumping station or similar, suggesting a problem further up the network.

I recall a few years ago some company trying to flog a voltage adjuster for domestic installations - from what I could understand it was online Portion of a UPS, that delivered whatever your set voltage was on its output regardless of input voltage or load. In fact, I think another boardsie had one fitted by ESBN when they experienced voltage issues.

Any way you can load up to the full 16kVA and get a voltage read at the main consumer unit or nearby? Would be revealing...

Jumping the gun a bit here but lets assume the issue is on the ESB Networks side and they fix it.... what should I then see....

1) A "constant" 230V ±3%.... so more like 223-237V
    or
    2) They will deliver more than 230V so that when it drops its more acceptable to my equipment? i.e. I will still see the same voltage drops as the HP and car loads come on.

FYI: Right now, when the heat pump starts the voltage drops by 4V according to the two monitors I have. Assuming my internal wiring is good is that normal or not?

1) A "constant" 230V ±3%.... so more like 223-237V

I doubt that you would get something that steady. If you were part of a housing estate that is fed from a large transformer then your supply voltage would be more stable.
    2) They will deliver more than 230V so that when it drops its more acceptable to my equipment? i.e. I will still see the same voltage drops as the HP and car loads come on.

As larger loads are switched on a larger volt drop can be expected. This is particularly the case when a motor starts such as the compressor in the heat pump. This problem is exacerbated if the installation is fed from a smaller transformer (on the ESB side).
    FYI: Right now, when the heat pump starts the voltage drops by 4V according to the two monitors I have. Assuming my internal wiring is good is that normal or not?

Its not really that surprising.
    The starting current for a direct on line motor can be 6 to 8 times the full load current. So when the compressor motor starts the current demand soars for a short time. The volt drop increases as the current increases and then drops off again as the motor current decreases.

Its not really that surprising.
    The starting current for a direct on line motor can be 6 to 8 times the full load current. So when the compressor motor starts the current demand soars for a short time. The volt drop increases as the current increases and then drops off again as the motor current decreases.

I understand the starting currents are much higher but I notice that the voltage stays 4V down while the heat pump is running.

Would you expect that?

As another data point, the voltage was showing as 223V this morning (8:30am) with no heat pump (or anything of note actually) running at the time!

I understand the starting currents are much higher but I notice that the voltage stays 4V down while the heat pump is running.

Would you expect that?
    Let’s put it this way:
    All conductors have a resistance. Let’s say we have a conductor with a resistance of 5 ohms. If we pass a current of 10 amps through it the volt drop across it will be 5 x 10 = 50 volts.
    Next, consider all of the conductor resistances to be fixed (because they pretty much are). This means that any increase in load (therefore current) will result in an increased volt drop. Some of the volt drop you are experiencing will be as a result of cables on the ESB side.
    As another data point, the voltage was showing as 223V this morning (8:30am) with no heat pump (or anything of note actually) running at the time!

This tells you that there is a bigger picture. Perhaps for example, others connected to the same transformer are drawing a larger load than normal at this time, hence my question in my last post. Can you could answer this question?

This tells you that there is a bigger picture. Perhaps for example, others connected to the same transformer are drawing a larger load than normal at this time, ...

That was my thought too... maybe several electric showers, kettles, heating etc running. Normally I see a steady 230V on the monitors.

The ESB 24hr monitoring will be interesting.
    ...hence my question in my last post. Can you could answer this question?

Are you referring to these questions...

It would be interesting to know the following with all measurements taken at the same instant:
    1) What the voltage is at the meter box at a time of heavy (but normal) load use.
    2) What the voltage is at distribution board at a time of heavy (but normal) load use.
    3) What the voltage is at the heat pump at a time of heavy (but normal) load use when the heat pump is running.

I can't answer those. I don't have the equipment to test. I can only tell what the instantaneous voltage is at my UPS.

As said, I normally see 230V steady with no loads.
    When the car, heat pump, dryer or kettle are turned on it drops 2-4V per device.... so 230-->226-->224 etc and stays at that level until the devices go off.

Based on seeing 223V this morning with no load from my house I can see why the heat pump would trip if I had other things running before it started... lets say Heat pump trying to start when the voltage is already under 220V.

24hr voltage monitor is definitely required. Hopefully ESB respond to me quickly.

• Advertisement

Are you referring to these questions...

No, they were from an earlier post. My bad, I did not ask the question I intended to, which is:

Are you in a rural area, or are you sharing a transformer with very few others?

Another point to consider, what load profile did your electrical contractor portray to the ESB when applying? My concern is that you may be using more power that was applied for. In addition when you increase the load in the future you may go further beyond the supply capacity originally applied for. The consequence of this is you may be charged for the costs associated with rectifying this issue.

No, they were from an earlier post. My bad, I did not ask the question I intended to, which is:

Are you in a rural area, or are you sharing a transformer with very few others?

Rural
    5 houses connected to one transformer! Therein lies the problem , I think! :)

Another point to consider, what load profile did your electrical contractor portray to the ESB when applying? My concern is that you may be using more power that was applied for. In addition when you increase the load in the future you may go further beyond the supply capacity originally applied for. The consequence of this is you may be charged for the costs associated with rectifying this issue.

I applied for the upgraded 16kVA connection in the NC2 form at the time of building the house (2011) and the presence of a heat pump was specified(there is a section on the form for it). I also questioned the local ESB engineer at the time if the transformer was going to be up to the job and he said it was fine based on the current loads he was seeing from the other houses.

I think I'm covered on the load profile. They were told upfront. In fact, looking at the copy of the form right now, I cheekily asked if I could have a dedicated transformer installed. They respectfully declined! :)

In reality I should be able to use more power. With the 16kVA connection you get an 80A ESB fuse (instead of a 60A one). My main distribution board has a 63A fuse in it so Im not even exceeding a standard connection yet. When I add a second Electric car to the house Im going to have problems or if one of the other 4 houses buys an EV!

24hr voltage monitor is definitely required. Hopefully ESB respond to me quickly.

They responded. Voltage monitor to be fitted within 10 working days.
    I have now logged this order for you.The order will now be assigned to a Network Technician within 10 working days who will install a voltage recorder at the property to track the level of power.
    A report will be drawn from the voltage recorder that will help the local area office determine what, if any follow up action is required.
    Where the voltage is found to be within the standard, a letter will be issued from the local office advising the customer of same.
    Where the voltage is found to be outside of standard, the details will be passed to the local Engineering Officer to design a plan to rectify the issue.

Lets see what that shows.

Rural
    5 houses connected to one transformer! Therein lies the problem , I think! :)

Yup, this is what I suspected. This may be part of the issue alright. Another factor could be undersized supply cables on the ESB side.
    I applied for the upgraded 16kVA connection in the NC2 form at the time of building the house (2011) and the presence of a heat pump was specified(there is a section on the form for it).

Sure, but other large loads include:
    EV charger
    Instantaneous shower

....and perhaps:
    Electric hob?
    Electric oven?
    workshop / welder?
    Other?

I think I'm covered on the load profile.

Good.
    In reality I should be able to use more power. With the 16kVA connection you get an 80A ESB fuse (instead of a 60A one). My main distribution board has a 63A fuse in it so Im not even exceeding a standard connection yet.

From memory I don't think that those fuse ratings are correct (I could be wrong).
    Remember at unity power factor 16kVA is about 70 amps.

Sure, but other large loads include:
    EV charger
    Instantaneous shower

....and perhaps:
    Electric hob?
    Electric oven?
    workshop / welder?
    Other?

None of those except the EV charger (32A).
    My showers are mixer showers driven by the well pump. A 3 bar shower... nothing like it!

Even if I had all of those, the two trips so far were at a time when we were all asleep so the Heat pump and EV charger were the only things running of any note.

From memory I don't think that those fuse ratings are correct (I could be wrong).
    Remember at unity power factor 16kVA is about 70 amps.

The way ESB state it is...
    12kVA gives you a 60A fuse with a supported "52A max demand averaged over 10mins".
    16kVA gives you a 80A fuse with a supported 70A max demand averaged over 10mins.

None of those except the EV charger (32A).

Interesting, less loads than I thought.
    I would guess that the EV charger would draw far less than 32A ost of the time.
    Even if I had all of those, the two trips so far were at a time when we were all asleep so the Heat pump and EV charger were the only things running of any note.

That is of little consequence, as discussed there is a "bigger picture".
    The way ESB state it is...
    12kVA gives you a 60A fuse with a supported "52A max demand averaged over 10mins".
    16kVA gives you a 80A fuse with a supported 70A max demand averaged over 10mins.

Fair enough.

Interesting, less loads than I thought.
    I would guess that the EV charger would draw far less than 32A ost of the time.

While charging it takes a constant 30A, usually for about 2-3hrs depending on how low the battery was. It always charges between 5-8am so that its ready to go when I wake up.

That is of little consequence, as discussed there is a "bigger picture".

Indeed, what I was referring to was that my load profile, even if I had welders and what not on the premise, they were not on at the time. I only had two loads of any consequence during the two trips... Heat pump and EV charger.

Assuming they are wired appropriately I figure my load profile is good... the issue is, as you said, a bigger picture problem.

Thanks for your input so far! I will be back when I have an answer from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Could any of those loads have any dodgy harmonics, causing the trip?

Those heat pumps have VSDs? Or mange the power electronics in the car charger?

Dardania wrote: »
    Could any of those loads have any dodgy harmonics, causing the trip?

Those heat pumps have VSDs? Or mange the power electronics in the car charger?

I don't know, those questions are beyond my capability! :)

I do know the heat pump has a soft starter to stop current spikes on startup.

VSD's and harmonics.... not a clue.

I will add, the heat pump is running fine since 2012 with not a single trip. I have the car for two years and no issues.

The heat pump has tripped twice now.... end of Nov and Jan. I ignored it as a once off in Nov as it hadn't happened before. When it happened again I started to look at the voltage readings.

We've had new neighbours recently and maybe their power usage is higher than the previous ones. Its all a guessing game until I get the voltage records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It could also be a loose/bad connection on your own main incoming cables/fuses/circuit breakers.

Any sign of heating anywhere?

Advertisement