Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap Accepted - Landlords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Looking at the whole picture there are just too many downsides for HAP for a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I got a very nice apartment on HAP in a lovely part of Dublin just a couple of weeks ago, they are out there so don't give up hope! Mine was through a letting agent, I've a feeling agents may be more likely to accept it than private landlords. Really it's a matter of luck - with the current market, you're not gonna have a whole lot of choice in where you get, but all you need is one place that matches your criteria. I'm only delighted with my place, and the HAP crowd were very efficient and easy to deal with through the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

In theory no one can reject HAP. In the past as a landlord I’ve been more likely to accept HAP than my letting agent. When advertising myself I found the volume of enquirers from HAP recipients mind blowing and every enquiry sounds the same. The only way to really decide is to show up at viewing, maybe don’t mention HAP in email. Show up provide all references and convince them your the best and then mention HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

On the other hand, I was fully upfront about HAP from the very start. I was probably offered far less viewings as a result, but at least I knew I'd a good chance of HAP being accepted at the viewings I WAS offered. I gave loads of relevant info and references in the emails I sent, which probably helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

What are the income limits if you are working to be entitled to HAP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Been trying to find a place to live for a year on the HAP scheme. Could a landlord give me tips on what could help me convince a landlord to rent to me? Also could a person who has successfully found a place on HAP give me some tips on how they did it? Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kanke

In theory no one can reject HAP. In the past as a landlord I’ve been more likely to accept HAP than my letting agent. When advertising myself I found the volume of enquirers from HAP recipients mind blowing and every enquiry sounds the same. The only way to really decide is to show up at viewing, maybe don’t mention HAP in email. Show up provide all references and convince them your the best and then mention HAP.

Baby01032012 please do you currently have any vacant apartment or house or soon to be vacant by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kanke

Please what agent did you use

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

If we had no shortage of houses or apartments HAP should not pay for a single working person to live alone, rent a room until you can afford to rent alone yourself (or afford to buy your own place) like the vast majority of the country have to do.

So let me get this straight, people that work(most likely on low pay) shouldnt get any help with their rent but lazy spongers who have never worked a day in their life’s should get their rent paid for?

This country is a joke, it rewards people who have no interest in working. And why would they work when everything is handed to them. Look at the case in Clare where a mother was receiving that much in benefits she’d need a job paying €120k a year to match it. It’s disgraceful.

If your handed a council house and don’t work you should be made go out and paint/clean local schools, community centers etc. There shouldnt be a council house in the country with 2 unemployed adults in it, they need to be made work for it like everybody else.

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, people that work(most likely on low pay) shouldnt get any help with their rent but lazy spongers who have never worked a day in their life’s should get their rent paid for?

This country is a joke, it rewards people who have no interest in working. And why would they work when everything is handed to them. Look at the case in Clare where a mother was receiving that much in benefits she’d need a job paying €120k a year to match it. It’s disgraceful.

If your handed a council house and don’t work you should be made go out and paint/clean local schools, community centers etc. There shouldnt be a council house in the country with 2 unemployed adults in it, they need to be made work for it like everybody else.

Trust me I have a major issue with people being handed free houses, the numbers of people expecting to be housed by the council are far far too high but in the interest of keeping the post short I wont go into it. Same for rewarding baby producing machines etc.

The point I was making is that I don't agree with giving hap to someone to live alone when they could afford a room in a house share themselves. Live in a houseshare until you can afford your own place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Trust me I have a major issue with people being handed free houses, the numbers of people expecting to be housed by the council are far far too high but in the interest of keeping the post short I wont go into it. Same for rewarding baby producing machines etc.

The point I was making is that I don't agree with giving hap to someone to live alone when they could afford a room in a house share themselves. Live in a houseshare until you can afford your own place.

Yeah very fair point. Anyone getting help shouldn’t have the right to be so picky. The same way people with council houses can turn down the first 2 offers. Anyone supposedly in desperate need of housing shouldn’t be in a position to turn down any offer. Only in Ireland, I need a free house, ok here you go, no I don’t like that one I’d like another. Laughable.

There’s people in council houses with no intentions of ever working and why would they when they can live mortgage free for the rest of their lives. It’s the people on low pay I feel sorry for, at least they make an effort and get out and work and they just genuinely can’t afford the extortionate rental prices. There’s a large section of people in this country who should be ashamed of themselves with their self entitlement nonsense. It actually sickens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Seaan94

I've been accepted for hap 1 bedroom only and I'm looking around the finglas area but open to change obviously, do I have any chance at all? Is there any landlords here who could help? Plenty of references etc available

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Seaan94

I got a very nice apartment on HAP in a lovely part of Dublin just a couple of weeks ago, they are out there so don't give up hope! Mine was through a letting agent, I've a feeling agents may be more likely to accept it than private landlords. Really it's a matter of luck - with the current market, you're not gonna have a whole lot of choice in where you get, but all you need is one place that matches your criteria. I'm only delighted with my place, and the HAP crowd were very efficient and easy to deal with through the whole thing.

What agent did you use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    Yeah very fair point. Anyone getting help shouldn’t have the right to be so picky. The same way people with council houses can turn down the first 2 offers. Anyone supposedly in desperate need of housing shouldn’t be in a position to turn down any offer. Only in Ireland, I need a free house, ok here you go, no I don’t like that one I’d like another. Laughable.

There are plenty of houses which get rejected multiple times and the reasons for that are understandable.

There are plenty of houses which get rejected multiple times and the reasons for that are understandable.

Entitlement is the reason, if you are being housed at tax payers expense then you take what you get, if you turn it down you should be kicked off the list and not even given HAP etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

Entitlement is the reason, if you are being housed at tax payers expense then you take what you get, if you turn it down you should be kicked off the list and not even given HAP etc.

Could not agree more with you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

FYI there is a 3 month waiting list on HAP payments if you are landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Why is there a difference between agencies and private landlord?
    A landlord can still have the final word on who is going to rent the house, or am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Why is there a difference between agencies and private landlord?

I suppose Letting agencies are professionals and are more clued up on it and have more experience with it, whilst private landlords are likely more misled to believe the unfounded negative stigma attached to HAP / Rent Allowance.

You usually only hear the negative stories on Boards which can cause paranoia to private landlords.

Saudades wrote: »
    I suppose Letting agencies are professionals and are more clued up on it and have more experience with it, whilst private landlords are likely more misled to believe the unfounded negative stigma attached to HAP / Rent Allowance.

You usually only hear the negative stories on Boards which can cause paranoia to private landlords.

On the other Letting agencies aren't worried about the consequences of a bad tenant as they are not accountable for that, so they might be interested in finding a tenant and get their fees paid. My point is that, regardless of this i would assume the landlord has the right to approve a tenant that was selected by the Letting Agency before signing a lease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

I'd imagine they have the right, but I thought the principle point of a landlord employing a Letting Agency is to relieve themselves of the time, effort, and stress of vetting tenants.

I'd imagine they have the right, but I thought the principle point of a landlord employing a Letting Agency is to relieve themselves of the time, effort, and stress of vetting tenants.

I totally agree, personally i would be useless at selecting the right tenant. But once the agency has selected the best candidates i would still want to make the final decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Despite OP having 1.5 jobs, and earning a decent wage, WHY should they have to spend all their wages on the sky rocketing rents?

HAP and social housing should not be in place for only single mothers and social welfare recipient families. It's for anyone under a certain bracket, which is fair imo.

I'm 21 and would love to move into an apartment with my boyfriend, but there's no way I want to spend €150 of my weekly wage just on the rent, then food , wifi, elec, etc on top of that, out of €350

No one should be questioning why Op is entitled to HAP. Rent assistance should be given to everybody under say 40k, because of the ridiculous rents.

A 1 bed room apartment in a crappy area in Waterford City is now €800 per month. I mean come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Despite OP having 1.5 jobs, and earning a decent wage, WHY should they have to spend all their wages on the sky rocketing rents?

HAP and social housing should not be in place for only single mothers and social welfare recipient families. It's for anyone under a certain bracket, which is fair imo.

I'm 21 and would love to move into an apartment with my boyfriend, but there's no way I want to spend €150 of my weekly wage just on the rent, then food , wifi, elec, etc on top of that, out of €350

No one should be questioning why Op is entitled to HAP. Rent assistance should be given to everybody under say 40k, because of the ridiculous rents.

A 1 bed room apartment in a crappy area in Waterford City is now €800 per month. I mean come on!
    Ypu need to live in a shared house for at least 7-8 years, many of us had to do this in order to save. Our taxes should be better spent on healthcare, infrastructure etc. I am all for people earning HAP/social welfare provided they dedicate a certain number of hours per week on council initiatives such as already pointed out above. No one should be getting money for free, its crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

James 007 wrote: »
    Ypu need to live in a shared house for at least 7-8 years, many of us had to do this in order to save. Our taxes should be better spent on healthcare, infrastructure etc. I am all for people earning HAP/social welfare provided they dedicate a certain number of hours per week on council initiatives such as already pointed out above. No one should be getting money for free, its crazy.

Yeah I do get that and completely agree our taxes should stand for something, you wouldn't mind everything being so expensive if there was something to show for it.

Its just such a pity that people are trapped in sharing houses for years or living with parents in order to be able to save for an already crazy high mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,061 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Its just such a pity that people are trapped in sharing houses for years or living with parents in order to be able to save for an already crazy high mortgage

This is the way it ever was, not just here. When saving, you try to reduce costs, that often means a period of sharing accommodation. This is not a new phenomenon.

What may well be a new phenomenon, is the expectation that house ownership should be a fast track, rent a nice place by yourself for a few years, then a nice four bed detached close to work. That just isn’t reality for most, nor do most expect it to be.

HAP would be an easy fixed to make it more appealing to LLs, pay in advance like every lease requires, and do not make payment of HAP to the LL dependent on the tenant paying the LA. This would not make it as appealing as private rental, but it would certainly make HAP more appealing than it currently is.

Personally, I avoid HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Dav010 wrote: »
    This is the way it ever was, not just here. When saving, you try to reduce costs, that often means a period of sharing accommodation. This is not a new phenomenon.

What may well be a new phenomenon, is the expectation that house ownership should be a fast track, rent a nice place by yourself for a few years, then a nice four bed detached close to work. That just isn’t reality for most, nor do most expect it to be.

HAP would be an easy fixed to make it more appealing to LLs, pay in advance like every lease requires, and do not make payment of HAP to the LL dependent on the tenant paying the LA. This would not make it as appealing as private rental, but it would certainly make HAP more appealing than it currently is.

Personally, I avoid HAP.

HAP is a massive con, they're delighted if the tenant stops paying their share it means someone housed at zero cost for months, if not years. I can think of no other reason for the arseways way the system is administered. It should be monthly in advance with one months deposit and if the tenant stops paying their share then that's the only deduction that should be made, and even that last part is a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dav010 wrote: »

Personally, I avoid HAP.

Dubious "legality".

One house I viewed, all was going well until I mentioned Rent Allowance.. "Rent Allowance does not suit my husband and I" came in the refusal email.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,061 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Graces7 wrote: »
    Dubious "legality".

One house I viewed, all was going well until I mentioned Rent Allowance.. "Rent Allowance does not suit my husband and I" came in the refusal email.

Silly lady putting it in an email. LLs are legally prevented from discriminating against HAP, but they are not obliged to rent to someone just because they are in receipt of HAP payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Estate Agents got a "finders fee" for getting a person into a house that takes HAP; https://www.thejournal.ie/hap-letting-agents-4317277-Nov2018/ - not sure if this still happens.

If it goes pear shaped, EA's can walk away, but keep the €500

Landlords are stuck with them, so err on the side of caution. Why take the risk if they don't have to? Landlords are often told to treat renting like a business. To do so, you avoid risk when there's no reward for taking said risk.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Dubious "legality".
    Finding a better tenant, and saying no to HAP are two totally different things.

Advertisement