Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-01-2018, 08:30   #1
bearclaire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 82
Urgent needs Payment

Hi, I’ve been allocated a Council Flat (took 12 years but not complaining as I was were nearly homeless before Christmas)
I’m on Disability allowance, but my question is what will they pay for and what won’t they. Basically I have nothing apart from a few pots and pans, going to need everything cooker bed fridge freezer sofas washing machine etc etc.
Just don’t wanna to put stuff on the form that’s not got on social welfare’s list and waste time
Thanks
bearclaire is offline  
Advertisement
12-01-2018, 09:11   #2
splinter65
Registered User
 
splinter65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaire View Post
Hi, I’ve been allocated a Council Flat (took 12 years but not complaining as I was were nearly homeless before Christmas)
I’m on Disability allowance, but my question is what will they pay for and what won’t they. Basically I have nothing apart from a few pots and pans, going to need everything cooker bed fridge freezer sofas washing machine etc etc.
Just don’t wanna to put stuff on the form that’s not got on social welfare’s list and waste time
Thanks
Don’t worry about “wasting time” , the CWO just wants to know what you have already.
If you have nothing you will get cooker fridge washing machine, if you don’t have a back yard you will get a dryer, a bed for everyone living there, possibly a tv, kitchen table and chairs, basic 3 piece suite.
That’s really it.
splinter65 is offline  
12-01-2018, 09:15   #3
Maryanne84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaire View Post
Hi, I’ve been allocated a Council Flat (took 12 years but not complaining as I was were nearly homeless before Christmas)
I’m on Disability allowance, but my question is what will they pay for and what won’t they. Basically I have nothing apart from a few pots and pans, going to need everything cooker bed fridge freezer sofas washing machine etc etc.
Just don’t wanna to put stuff on the form that’s not got on social welfare’s list and waste time
Thanks
I’ve nothing to offer other than my good wishes for you in your new home.
Maryanne84 is offline  
12-01-2018, 09:17   #4
bearclaire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter65 View Post
Don’t worry about “wasting time” , the CWO just wants to know what you have already.
If you have nothing you will get cooker fridge washing machine, if you don’t have a back yard you will get a dryer, a bed for everyone living there, possibly a tv, kitchen table and chairs, basic 3 piece suite.
That’s really it.
Wow That’s a Lot more than I thought ðŸ˜႒
Thanks for that
bearclaire is offline  
12-01-2018, 09:18   #5
bearclaire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
I’ve nothing to offer other than my good wishes for you in your new home.
Thank You Maryanne84 Appreciate that. Been a long road but I’m very thankful to be getting my own home
bearclaire is offline  
Advertisement
12-01-2018, 12:47   #6
wifey28
Registered User
 
wifey28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 112
i believe they have allowances they are allowed to work off, for eg i know a family of 4 who got 2900 as they had absolutely nothing at all. But other people only get 1000. They wont pay infull for everything so dont expect it. They will give you bare minimum they think you can get away with. Your unlikely to be able to afford the likes of a dishwasher or dryer with what they give you, and if at all possible you should look into laying carpet/lino yourself.

I believe the size of the home also has a baring on how much they can give out
wifey28 is offline  
Thanks from:
12-01-2018, 13:46   #7
Gatling
Registered User
 
Gatling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Skirmishnam
Posts: 20,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey28 View Post
i believe they have allowances they are allowed to work off, for eg i know a family of 4 who got 2900 as they had absolutely nothing at all. But other people only get 1000. They wont pay infull for everything so dont expect it. They will give you bare minimum they think you can get away with. Your unlikely to be able to afford the likes of a dishwasher or dryer with what they give you, and if at all possible you should look into laying carpet/lino yourself.

I believe the size of the home also has a baring on how much they can give out

The average payment is around 1200 for the basics , beds white goods flooring if needed,and that about it ,
TVs and other home entertainments are not included.

Everything else wanted should be bought or picked up from sites such as adverts and done deal
Gatling is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2018, 13:54   #8
Maryanne84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatling View Post
The average payment is around 1200 for the basics , beds white goods flooring if needed,and that about it ,
TVs and other home entertainments are not included.

Everything else wanted should be bought or picked up from sites such as adverts and done deal
“Marketplace “ on Facebook is a good place to find cheap or free stuff.
Maryanne84 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2018, 14:26   #9
Gatling
Registered User
 
Gatling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Skirmishnam
Posts: 20,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
“Marketplace “ on Facebook is a good place to find cheap or free stuff.
Along with various charity shops
Gatling is offline  
Advertisement
12-01-2018, 14:31   #10
Maggie Marie
Banned
 
Maggie Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 55
Is that payment in cash cause I fear some would bet it all in Paddy Powers instead of going to Penney’s or Dunnes to buy household items.
Maggie Marie is offline  
Thanks from:
12-01-2018, 14:35   #11
Grab All Association
Registered User
 
Grab All Association's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Limerick
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Marie View Post
Is that payment in cash cause I fear some would bet it all in Paddy Powers instead of going to Penney’s or Dunnes to buy household items.
No it’s sent by cheque or more recently bank transfer and you have to provide estimates.
Grab All Association is offline  
Thanks from:
12-01-2018, 14:39   #12
Grab All Association
Registered User
 
Grab All Association's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Limerick
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab All Association View Post
No it’s sent by cheque or more recently bank transfer and you have to provide estimates.
@ OP you may not get enough to cover everything you need. If you don’t, come back here and list the items you need. I’m sure there are boardies out there who’ll try help you source everything you need.
Grab All Association is offline  
12-01-2018, 15:23   #13
boardsuser1
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,802
I never personally received this payment, but my Uncle did in 1997 & 2008

The amount was €5000 in 2008 & £1000 in 1997
boardsuser1 is offline  
12-01-2018, 15:31   #14
Gatling
Registered User
 
Gatling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Skirmishnam
Posts: 20,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
I never personally received this payment, but my Uncle did in 1997 & 2008

The amount was €5000 in 2008 & £1000 in 1997
€5000 for what ,
Gatling is offline  
Thanks from:
12-01-2018, 15:33   #15
boardsuser1
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatling View Post
€5000 for what ,
My exact question to him, i never got a response, i found the post office receipt, hence i asked the question.

I've known people in 3 bedroomed houses to get less.

He had literally nothing at all though in 2008 so maybe that's why.

The guy is an immensely private person.
boardsuser1 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet