Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house to the county council?

Options
  • 08-01-2018 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard anything recently about this scheme?

I've seen lots of the councils' (all over the country) websites talking about accepting applications from landlords for long term 10-20 year leases or to sell the house to them.

I presume they have all got a nice chunk in the budget to get the social housing numbers up quickly without building.

Any post i find is from 7-8 years ago when the council would offer 10k under the asking price. But it was a very different market then.

I'm wondering if it is worth pursuing. House is worth about 150k. So 10k is a nice chunk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

If you want to sell the house, why would you not do so on the open market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

It has to go on the open market , then the councils come on board if they are interested in the property. That's the only way it works nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Nothing against you OP at the end of day you are looking to get most money for your house but have to say there is an element to this that annoys me.
    I could be bidding on a house against the council, them pushing the price up with my tax money in order to provide social housing when I am just as in need of housing but not in the criteria for social housing.
    But as others have said you will get the best money on open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

TooObvious wrote: »
    If you want to sell the house, why would you not do so on the open market?

I've it rented to a family on social welfare via the council at the moment, so they already have a tenant in place. I bought recently and hated the whole process, dealing with estate agents etc. So if I was able to do a nice smooth sale without displacing the family or losing much money I'dconsider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 poolfandar

Did you have any luck with approaching the council? In a similar position with a tenant already in place!

I've it rented to a family on social welfare via the council at the moment, so they already have a tenant in place. I bought recently and hated the whole process, dealing with estate agents etc. So if I was able to do a nice smooth sale without displacing the family or losing much money I'dconsider it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

poolfandar wrote: »
    Did you have any luck with approaching the council? In a similar position with a tenant already in place!

If it's in DLRCC they won't place a bid until it's vacant and on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

poolfandar wrote: »

Never took it any further, still have it rented. I have another 1 3/4 years on my contract with the council. So will get to the end of that then reassess.

I've had to move cities for work, that was 6 years ago, so I'm settled here now and have no long-term interest in holding the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Never took it any further, still have it rented. I have another 1 3/4 years on my contract with the council. So will get to the end of that then reassess.

I've had to move cities for work, that was 6 years ago, so I'm settled here now and have no long-term interest in holding the house.

Approach the council and advise them that you wish to sell.
    See is there a break clause in your lease with them.
    You can't sell to anyone- until you have vacant possession.
    Also- don't assume that if you have another 20 months (or however long) still on your contract with the council- that they'll give you the property back then- quite simply- they won't.

Ah ok
    Mine is in Mine kildare cc. Would seem a shame to have the tenants have to move out before they'd buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We are selling my mothers 3 bed semi in a kildare estate. Council have bought the last 2 houses for sale there, as we know the contractor who was employed by the council to get them ready for tenants. Council have also expressed interest in viewing my mothers house. It was the estate agent who did the enquiring with the council. So yes they are buying up houses. Best of luck

• Advertisement

Oh right very good! Was the house on sale on the open market first? Were they bidding like normal or how did it work?
    We are selling my mothers 3 bed semi in a kildare estate. Council have bought the last 2 houses for sale there, as we know the contractor who was employed by the council to get them ready for tenants. Council have also expressed interest in viewing my mothers house. It was the estate agent who did the enquiring with the council. So yes they are buying up houses. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The council bought my neighbours house, for 42,500 more than I bought mine for. Mine is a semi detached, my neighbours is terraced and not in great condition.

Is the property vacant- and is it in an estate that is below the 10% limit for social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi
    my mothers property is vacant but it has not been sold to the council as of yet. I just know that the estate agent said the council were interested and would send someone to view it. So I dont know any more about that process.
    It is on the normal open property market, yes.
    I dont know anything about whether the estate is above or below social housing limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Nothing against you OP at the end of day you are looking to get most money for your house but have to say there is an element to this that annoys me.
    I could be bidding on a house against the council, them pushing the price up with my tax money in order to provide social housing when I am just as in need of housing but not in the criteria for social housing.
    But as others have said you will get the best money on open market.
    it is actually cheaper for the council to buy than build so it is the smart thing to do. Also you get the proper mix on residents instead of having a whole estate of social tenants.

it is actually cheaper for the council to buy than build so it is the smart thing to do. Also you get the proper mix on residents instead of having a whole estate of social tenants.

Providing they keep to the maximum limits that were laid down by the Department. You'll still end up with whole estates of social tenants- if they go over maximum levels of social tenants and HAP- you have defacto social housing estates again.............

• Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

- if they go over maximum levels of social tenants and HAP- you have defacto social housing estates again.............
    Which is not necessarily as bad an outcome as you might think;

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/02/14/mick-michelle-and-anna-our-housing-policy-is-built-on-a-false-and-dangerous-premise/

Advertisement