There will be a €7000 grant for Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs). <= this will probably be defined as vehicles solely propelled by electric motors (like the BIK incentive)
There will be a €3500 grant for Plug-in Hybrid vehicles.
The e-SPSV grants are applicable to both new and used vehicles up to 6 years old.
This program is in addition to the existing €3800 commercial SEAI grant for new vehicles.
For imports, the VRT relief of €5000 (BEV) or €2500 (PHEV) applies, although imports will not receive the €3800 SEAI grant.
Companies can also avail of accelerated capital allowances to fully depreciate the vehicles in year 1.
This program is open to existing licensed PSV drivers and WAT new-entrants.
Night rate electricity is 10-12 times cheaper than diesel per km and maintenance is minimal to non-existent.
The following BEVs have a waiver in place that allows them to pass the SPSV requirements:
- Nissan Leaf 2017 - waiver given for luggage capacity
- Renault Zoe - waiver given for luggage capacity
The following BEVs have passed or should have no issues passing the SPSV requirements without requiring waivers:
- Citroen Berlingo Multispace Electric (UK import)
- Hyundai Ioniq BEV
- Mercedes B250e (UK import)
- Nissan Leaf 2018 (luggage space improved over previous model)
- Nissan eNV200 (5/7 seater and wheelchair accessible | new longer range model 1st deliveries in April 2018)
- Peugeot Partner Teepee Electric (UK import)
- Tesla Model S
- Tesla Model X
The following Plug-in Hybrids are SPSV approved models:
- BMW 330e
- BMW 530e
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
- Toyota Prius PHEV (2017 onward)
- Volvo V60 Estate PHEV (discontinued)
- Volvo XC60 T8
- Volvo XC90 T8
The following Plug-in Hybrids are not SPSV approved models yet, but should have no issues passing:
- BMW 740e
- BMW X5 PHEV
- Hyundai Ioniq PHEV (available Q1 2018)
- Volkswagen Passat GTE
- Volkswagen Passat GTE Estate
The following BEVs/EREVs (extended range EVs) do not meet SPSV requirements:
- BMW i3
- Ford Focus Electric
- Hyundai Kona BEV
- Kia Soul BEV
- Kia Stonic BEV
- VW eGolf