Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding Fine Question

Options
  • 21-11-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

My wife is after getting a fine for speeding in the post. This occurred on the 8/7/17 and the amount of the fine is 160 quid. Surely this is wrong? As far as I'm aware it should only be 80 quid? Could someone please advise if this is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

TPMP wrote: »
    My wife is after getting a fine for speeding in the post. This occurred on the 8/7/17 and the amount of the fine is 160 quid. Surely this is wrong? As far as I'm aware it should only be 80 quid? Could someone please advise if this is correct?

In fact, on closer inspection, there's a number wrong on the licence plate which is on the summons (which by the way, was not filled in at all by anyone). Is that grounds for getting out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I wonder why it took so long for the fine to arrive, 4 months ? i would look onto it.
    Thought same that it was €80 plus 3 points ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I wonder why it took so long for the fine to arrive, 4 months ? i would look onto it.
    Thought same that it was €80 plus 3 points ?

That's what we thought too. It would mean we would have missed two previous notifications (which never came). This summons came today by registered post but it was just sitting in our letter box. Nobody signed for it.

That's what we thought too. It would mean we would have missed two previous notifications (which never came). This summons came today by registered post but it was just sitting in our letter box. Nobody signed for it.

I say that's why it double with the two different notifications going unreplied,
    but as you say you didn't get them so you couldn't reply,
    does your wife recall the date and time of incident, was she on this road at this time ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I say that's why it double with the two different notifications going unreplied,
    but as you say you didn't get them so you couldn't reply,
    does your wife recall the date and time of incident, was she on this road at this time ?

Yes, she remembers the incident and was expecting this fine(albeit a few months ago). But this nonsense of 160 quid and a court summons is rubbish. We never received the first two notifications. Is there any way of proving this?

• Advertisement

Yes, she remembers the incident and was expecting this fine(albeit a few months ago). But this nonsense of 160 quid and a court summons is rubbish. We never received the first two notifications. Is there any way of proving this?

Well you never sign for the latest summons it was just posted,
    so the one before wasn't sign for by you either, so they cant prove you received it, all you can do is go to court and explain,
    hopefully should see it your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

It sounds like she failed to receive or respond to the previous notices so that is why the fine has doubled and the summons in place. You should be able to go and say you didn't receive any previous warnings/notifications

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You have received the new "Section 44 notice" (the so-called 3rd payment option) and a court summons, this is when the original fine doubles for failure to pay within 56 days.

Weather you received the original FCPN or not is irrelevant, the whole point of the 3rd payment option is to remove the "I didn't receive the FCPN" excuse. You can pay the doubled fine upto 7 days before court appearance or take your chances in court, but the defence of I didn't get the FCPN is no longer allowed.

GM228 wrote: »
    You have received the new "Section 44 notice" (the so-called 3rd payment option) and a court summons, this is when the original fine doubles for failure to pay within 56 days.

Weather you received the original FCPN or not is irrelevant, the whole point of the 3rd payment option is to remove the "I didn't receive the FCPN" excuse. You can pay the doubled fine upto 7 days before court appearance or take your chances in court, but the defence of I didn't get the FCPN is no longer allowed.

But how is it no longer allowed if we genuinely didn't get them? I mean surely there must be a way where we can prove this?

But how is it no longer allowed if we genuinely didn't get them? I mean surely there must be a way where we can prove this?

The 3rd payment option was brought in to stop the I didn't get the notice excuse, the whole point of it is you can't say I didn't get it, weather genuine or not you can't use the excuse, there is a statutory presumption that you received the FCPN.

Also I think you need to understand the point of an FCPN/Section 44 notice, all they are for realistically is to give you a chance to pay a penalty rather than face the chances of a criminal conviction and double points, you are still afforded that choice now with the Section 44, the whole point of the I didn't get it excuse was people claimed they were denied the choice of fine vs conviction and so the case would be struck out (assuming the judge believed you of course). You still have that choice now, if it goes to court the issue is not weather or not you got the FCPN, it's basically the matter of guilty or not guilty - which equates to either no penalty or a higher fine, double points and a criminal conviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pay the fine to avoid the extra points in court.

Thanks for all your help guys. Its incredibly frustrating not being able to prove our innocence but looks like paying the 160 is the only option.

Thanks again for your advice.

Its incredibly frustrating not being able to prove our innocence

Innocence?
    Yes, she remembers the incident and was expecting this fine

Had it happened 2 months earlier you would not have had the option of paying double, a judge may not have believed you didn't get it - many didn't and she could possibly have double points, a higher fine anyway and a criminal conviction - if it were me I'd be greatful for the Sectionn 44 chance to be honest.

GM228 wrote: »
    Innocence?

Had it happened 2 months earlier you would not have had the option of paying double, a judge may not have believed you didn't get it - many didn't and she could possibly have double points, a higher fine anyway and a criminal conviction - if it were me I'd be greatful for the Sectionn 44 chance to be honest.

Yes, innocence. We're not contesting she was speeding. She was. But we never received any previous notices of this so were not afforded the opportunity to pay the 80 quid. I understand the change in law recently to stop people spoofing, but it just seems wrong that there isn't a way to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But the fine is for speeding, and she's not innocent of speeding.

I get that you missed out on the opportunity to pay a lower fine earlier on. That's unfortunate. But the fine being levied now is not a fine for missing out on the earlier notices; it's a fine for speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Peregrinus wrote: »
    But the fine is for speeding, and she's not innocent of speeding.

I get that you missed out on the opportunity to pay a lower fine earlier on. That's unfortunate. But the fine being levied now is not a fine for missing out on the earlier notices; it's a fine for speeding.

It appears to be the original speeding fine of 80 euro plus an additional fine of 80 euro for not paying the speeding fine on time! What the OP appears to be innocent of is the second offence of not paying on time.

Given that the OP states he didn't sign for the registered letter, isn't the option of the "I didn't receive the FCPN" still there? Granted in this case it would be lying, however if the OP didn't sign for the letter, for whatever reason didn't open it, wouldn't the "I didn't receive it" defense still be valid? Presumably the case would go to court, he would be tried and convicted in his absence and would then have to appeal. Without a signature record for the notice his defense would appear quite strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SuperS54 wrote: »
    It appears to be the original speeding fine of 80 euro plus an additional fine of 80 euro for not paying the speeding fine on time! What the OP appears to be innocent of is the second offence of not paying on time.
    There is no second offence. This is an administrative procedure guilty / not guilty does not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

So in order to solve an issue of people stating that they didn't receive either of 2 fixed penalty notices in the post, they added a third fixed penalty notice which is also sent by post and then removed all rights for the citizen to use this is a reason for not having paid the fine ?

Maybe i'm missing something incredibly obvious here but could all this not have been resolved by sending the initial fine by registered post and having it signed for :confused:

Also, the date on the summons says "date of notice 16th of October". This surely means that we should be still under the 2nd notice as the 56 days from then has not yet elapsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The problem with sending penalty notices by registered post is that people who have reason to expect penalty notices can decline to sign for any registered post that arrives and then say (truthfully) that they never received a penalty notice.

So you have this two-step system; first of all an unregistered notice which is hard to avoid and which most people pay when they get it and then, for those who don't, a registered notice whose delivery can (usually) be proven. The penalty is higher for the second notice in order to give people an incentive to pay the first notice, rather than putting the matter off.

It is unfortunate, obviously, that if you genuinely don't receive the first notice you face the higher penalty. But if you could avoid this by saying that you never got the first notice then experience suggests that everybody would say that, and the incentive effect of offering a reduced penalty on the first notice would disappear. Logic suggests that if the incentive effect of a reduced penalty on the first notice were to disappear, there'd be no reason to offer a reduced penalty and, in due course, they'd stop doing so, which would mean that everybody would end up paying the higher penalty. So we currently have an imperfect system under which the majority of people do in fact get a lower penalty, and the state saves the cost of a lot of registered post. You could treat everybody equally by cutting out the first step entirely - going straight to the registered notice and the higher penalty for all.

• Advertisement

Also, the date on the summons says "date of notice 16th of October". This surely means that we should be still under the 2nd notice as the 56 days from then has not yet elapsed?

This is the date relating to your Section 44 notice, not the original FCPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jir

Exact same situation here. Fine double to 160 euro and got summonsed because the FCPN didnt arrive in the post.

They maintain that they have proof of postage of the initial FCPN, but they will not release that until court.

They really need to firstly issue these by Registered Post. If this doesnt happen, then via a Garda.

jir wrote: »
    Exact same situation here. Fine double to 160 euro and got summonsed because the FCPN didnt arrive in the post.

They maintain that they have proof of postage of the initial FCPN, but they will not release that until court.

They really need to firstly issue these by Registered Post. If this doesnt happen, then via a Garda.

It was extremely frustrating for us. We ended up having to pay the 160 because we couldn't prove we never got the initial fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

It's bizarre. How are you supposed to prove you didn't receive the notice in the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

seagull wrote: »
    It's bizarre. How are you supposed to prove you didn't receive the notice in the post?
    There was a judge that insisted on having a register of incoming mail to back up such assertions.

seagull wrote: »

The problem is so many people said they didn't get it and were getting off, whilst some may not have got them at one stage it seemed the postal service had failed nearly everyone in the state who were up in couet, ans that's the whole point of the Section 44 notice.

The main point of a FCPN is to avoid a criminal conviction, you still get that choice now when summoned albeit with a higher monetary penalty.

jir wrote: »

That would create far greater problems than there currently is.

So it would appear that this may have been unconstitutional and penalty points may be wiped as a result. I'm delighted to see this being questioned before the courts because what happened to us and many others was ridiculous.

Thousands of penalty points could be wiped out if High Court challenge over legislation succeeds https://jrnl.ie/4749723

So it would appear that this may have been unconstitutional and penalty points may be wiped as a result. I'm delighted to see this being questioned before the courts because what happened to us and many others was ridiculous.

Thousands of penalty points could be wiped out if High Court challenge over legislation succeeds https://jrnl.ie/4749723

The Judicial Review concerns the constitutionality of the requirements of delivery around the original FCPN, and I can tell you it has been challenged several times already, the merits of this challenge are no different. It is well established that an increased penalty for lack of receiving a FCPN is no bar to a prosecution and creates no question of unconstitutionality.

The issue at heart has been tested more recently in the Kinsella vs DPP [2018] IEHC 474 and Brown vs DPP [2018] IEHC 471 High Court Judicial Review cases, tested unsuccessfully I might add, I can't see this challenge being any different to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, it would appear Kinsella and Brown have dealt with this fairly comprehensively already!

Advertisement