Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple glazed window - middle pane cracked???

Options
  • 14-11-2017 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what caused this. It's the second time (different pane) in 7 years. I came home after a few days away and this middle pane is totally splintered, spider-webbed from top to bottom. The 2 panels on either side are fine.
    My main question is to the cause but if anyone knows who I contact now, that would be gratefully received? (Are the suppliers in any way liable? House is 7 years old. I used to be able to say 'new build' on this forum:))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Used to be 10 year guarantee but you’ll need to check with individual manufacturers, also check your home insurance policy as you might be covered under that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'm wracking my brain because I think I've heard of this happening anecdotally before and read some document similar to what BryanF has posted but I'm drawing a blank at present.

All the same - I'd suggest going to the window supplier first and would expect them to follow up with the manufacturer of the glazing unit. There are a very limited number of glazing manufacturers and they are all quite big and reputable - although I can't guarantee it I would expect you to have some success with them. There is no way a broken middle pane could be attributed to "wear and tear".

The only thing that concerns me is that this pretty rare occurrence has happened in your house. Is it the same window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Is there anything different about the window in question? Ie is it a one off unit? Corner Window? Is there a heat source close by internally?

When you say second time (different Pane) is it the exact same location or a different window. A different window would hint towards a manufacturing issue along the lines of what BryanF posted. If its the same window unit then maybe just maybe something else is going on, ie structurally.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭selfbuildache

Thanks for replies. I'll contact the window manufacturers first, although I've had issues (airtightness) with them before when the windows were first installed. I dread going back into contact with them. Must try and find the guarantee...

My apologies, I wasn't clear - it's a totally different window unit than the one before. Only similarities are then they are both on same side of house& same level. Neither are near any heat source (no central heating in house) and neither are near a corner. They're not large either, relative to others near them. Can't think of anything unusual near them.

I'll have to price the fixing of it before I look at the house insurance. If anything like car insurance, it's not usually worth it.

Thanks for replies.

• Advertisement

Manufacturing flaw at the time your glazing units were fabricated is the most likely thing in my opinion so.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Spontaneous fracture is a rare enough occurrence but it tends to happen in batches. A contamination event occurs in the float glass line and a certain amount of glass - a day or so of continuous production - is produced before it’s picked up by Q/C procedures. The batch then goes out to glazing fabricators and that batch is likely to have a number of ‘episodes’ - such Nickel sulphide inclusions can manifest from anywhere between 6 months to 25 years from what I have been told. Relatively quick temperature changes common at this time of year – rising sun shining on cold glass - can set off the process. It’s not classed as a manufacturing defect by the industry. It’s more akin to getting a puncture in a car still under warranty. Apologies for not offering a more optimistic assessment.

Hi again,
    Following on from the original thread, I have yet another pane broken on my windows.
    This time though, it's an inside pane, so, realistically, could be from our own damage.
    However, as we had been away for a few days and came home to this broken pane, (without any chance of it being my kids' fault!) I am now reluctant to keep paying the window company money for the upkeep of what I see as a manufacturing issue.
    So, my question; can I get these windows replaced by independent 'window repairers'? If so, does anyone have any recommendations?
    Thanks as always.

You probably don't need to replace the frame. Just the glazing unit within the frame. Any local window supplier should be able to measure it up and order a new glazed unit to fit into the frame.

Did the window supplier cover the cost of the previous broken middle pane? fatty pang has a deep knowledge of the industry so if he says they don't usually cover the cost of the panes breaking due tho the contamination described he is almost certainly correct. I would personally be very p!ssed off if they walked away from what is clearly a defect caused during manufacture.

Yes, they walked away. 'Glass is not under warranty'. (Long painful history with this company.)
    And yes, it's just the glass that needs replacing. My understanding is that there is some kind of gas within the panes? Can a regular window supplier also do this?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

The local window supplier will not be making the units themselves. They will order them from the manufacturer. There is only 2-3 in the country.

And yes they can order them triple glazed, argon/krypton filled and coated, etc. etc. from the manufacturer.

The unit will very likely come from the same manufacturer as the original units though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP is it possible the problem is due to the way the glazing units are mounted?

For example could all the weight be on the glass in the center of the triple glazing or that the weight is well distributed but the sides of top of the frame bare only on the middle pane?

my3cents wrote: »
    OP is it possible the problem is due to the way the glazing units are mounted?

For example could all the weight be on the glass in the center of the triple glazing or that the weight is well distributed but the sides of top of the frame bare only on the middle pane?

I guess the only way I find this out is with the technician who comes out. I can certainly ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭893bet

Hi again,
    Following on from the original thread, I have yet another pane broken on my windows.
    This time though, it's an inside pane, so, realistically, could be from our own damage.
    However, as we had been away for a few days and came home to this broken pane, (without any chance of it being my kids' fault!) I am now reluctant to keep paying the window company money for the upkeep of what I see as a manufacturing issue.
    So, my question; can I get these windows replaced by independent 'window repairers'? If so, does anyone have any recommendations?
    Thanks as always.

Was the blind pulled!while you were away? Or is the blind right to the window?

Advertisement