Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counterpart - Starz - US Pace(**Spoilers**)

Options
  • 02-11-2017 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭

An espionage, sci-fi thriller with a metaphysical twist, Counterpart tells the story of Howard Silk (Simmons), a lowly cog in a bureaucratic UN agency who is turning the last corner of a life filled with regret, when he discovers the agency he works for is guarding a secret: a crossing to a parallel dimension. Through Howard and his “counterpart” on the other side, Prime, the show will navigate themes of identity, idealism, what ifs, and lost love

Starts January 21st on Starz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The pilot came out today, as a spoiler.

I found it to be very good. I wonder how it'll turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I thought it was good enough. The post credits bit showing the season to come had some recognisable faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Fringe crossed with a spy drama with the excellent J.K. Simmons
    whats not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Really strong first episode. Shame we have to wait so long for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I'm late to the game, just saw the pilot now and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I find it has similarities with Fringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Watched the pilot today. I'm a fan of multiverse stories so will definitely keep watching. My impression is that neither of the worlds we've seen so far are our world, which might be interesting.

WHAT DID WE DO TO THEM!?!?!?
    :eek:

Decent continuation. Still feels a little hard sci-fi/cold war (ish)

One thing that threw me off was the little piano jingle they keep using. It's grand and all but it kept reminding me of the piano jingle from the start of the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Good to see Stephen Rea in it.

Also Stephen Rea is bloody 71 :eek:

Also Stephen Rea is bloody 71 :eek:

WTF :eek::eek::eek:

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's rather quite good so far, really enjoying it.

Though it'd be hard for a TV show where Simmons plays both lead characters to not be good, really.

WOW!!! :eek:
    I was not expecting that.. I was all like: Oh that's cool, they got her with a drug and are gonna kidnap her
    but like
    to kill her!
    :eek:

There's so much going on!

What did we do!?? So it's looking like a disease. Did we send one or just not warn or something?
    It has to have been since 1987 right?... so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics
    Nothing jumps out. Maybe SARS?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Watched the first one this morning. Very strong! Simmons was fantastic.

Looking forward to watching more.

Damm this gets more intriguing by the week.

The split screen of the meek and confident Simmons sitting on the chairs passing the watch really shows how good an actor he is.

Decent episode. Simmons again keeping the two separate roles really well. Especailly the Anna part.

Storywise it felt like some more information in many of the storylines and more character development.

Again more disease control/health checks. What did we do!!?!?

Simmons really is excelling playing the duel role.

More story development and now we know it's a flu that wiped out something like half a billion people. There's nothing on that wiki page like that so I'm going to guess we did it... unless their side did it to stoke up a war. Either way.. not an accidental flu.

Simmons doing grand on the duel role again. The scene with the woman (duel role) being interviewed by mousey was a bit dodgy. It was the bit at the end. They didn't feel like they were in the same space. Might have been the eyes or not acknowledging each other.

Camera work and scene setting is still top notch. Real hard cold environment feeling in most places but able to bring warmth when needed.

The assasin is good. She kinda reminds me of Noomi Rapace in the first film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. That scene with the dumbass smile comment even felt a little Christopher Nolan Dark Knight. At a stretch ... does that open a possibility of Noomi Rapace for the next Joker? :eek:

Well that was a full on creppy home life for the female doubles.

I thought I was going mad there until the very very last scene. Like I'd missed something.

A really good final scene.

Sarah Bolger is in everything these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Well that was unexpected.

This is hard work, plot-wise.

Renewed for a second season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I've watched the first 2 episodes, it's not doing a whole lot for me tbh.

Pelvis wrote: »
    I've watched the first 2 episodes, it's not doing a whole lot for me tbh.

I think it was potentially a good concept, but it has been executed less well than it could have been. There's a shortage of characters worth caring about.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think a lot hinges on (a) how much you are curious about the sci-fi scenario (and what it's all about), and (b) how much you appreciate what JK Simmons is able to pull off with his dual role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Mr E wrote: »
    I think a lot hinges on (a) how much you are curious about the sci-fi scenario (and what it's all about), and (b) how much you appreciate what JK Simmons is able to pull off with his dual role.
    Actually the best parts have been when both his characters are on screen together, and you see how good he is at portraying both.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

I just found this . Watched First two Episodes. Sets are a bit bland-God Ive had enough of Eastern Europe. But Simmons is excellent

Now that's a background story!

It was like a one episode version of what I'm guessing Red Sparrow is supposed to be about or maybe Black Widow. It reminded me a bit of The Saint.

It was specific to the needs of the Counterpart universe though so didn't feel a full on copy (not sure if pun intended :)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Episode 7 was the best so far. Show is a slow burner but well worth it.

Advertisement