Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-09-2017, 16:59   #1
Bitches Be Trypsin

GEM in UK

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with GEM in the UK? I have an BSc in Biomedical Science, and some of their courses are structured to do the first 3 years as a BSc and final 3 years as the MD.

Does anyone know anything about me skipping the first three years due to my background, and just doing the final 3 years?
Advertisement
27-09-2017, 19:28   #2
Anita Blow

You have to complete the full degree as the medical councils have minimum credit requirements which must be completed in the medical course. Credits for prior learning has been phased out.
Thanks from:
28-09-2017, 13:02   #3
Recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitches Be Trypsin View Post
Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with GEM in the UK? I have an BSc in Biomedical Science, and some of their courses are structured to do the first 3 years as a BSc and final 3 years as the MD.

Does anyone know anything about me skipping the first three years due to my background, and just doing the final 3 years?
The GEM is four years with certain five-year programs allowing graduates to apply. You will need to complete the full program.
Thanks from:
28-09-2017, 14:45   #4
Bitches Be Trypsin

Ok thank you. It's a pity to have to redo so many modules. I'm looking at Italy currently and maybe they recognise exemptions?
28-09-2017, 17:06   #5
Anita Blow

It's doubtful as theyd likely be the same as here and if you ever planned to work in Ireland/UK/US/Canada any degree which doesn't meet the minimum credits requirement wouldn't be accepted
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-09-2017, 07:33   #6
Recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitches Be Trypsin View Post
Ok thank you. It's a pity to have to redo so many modules. I'm looking at Italy currently and maybe they recognise exemptions?
The EU centralises the process of recognition of medical degrees and as such you will need to meet the same requirements regardless of where you go on the continent. 
You can read more here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32005L0036&from=EN
Thanks from:
10-10-2017, 08:12   #7
Celestial12

For those interested in UK entry, there's a new GEM course starting in Scotland in 2018. http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/gra...ntry-medicine/

There's no fees, but I think you have to commit to the NHS there for a few years. Definitely a good option for some people!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion