Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glamping Pod donegal

• 02-09-2017 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just trying to do a little research around glamping pods.

Glamping pods usually around 3m by 5m so about the size of a small garden shed in an almost oval or egg shape.

I have been thinking of putting two in the field below the house but want to get an idea of the hurdles that need to considered when talking to the council with regards planning.

Just trying to pin down what needs to be considered when I make an application to the county council.

Things I already know.
    Toilet/shower facility. I will need to create a septic tank (probably), there is 1.5 acres so this should not be a problem but I will get an architect to look this for me.
    But assuming I have sewage waste aspect of this covered.
    What are the things I need to consider if I want two of these small pods in my field from a donegal county council planning perspective.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This would presumably fall under the regulations for caravan and camping parks.

You have to think about the full scope of human needs that your guests will have in terms of shelter, sanitation, food, transport and so on.

Off the top of my head...

- Sewage treatment
    - Water supply
    - Electricity supply
    - Vehicular access and parking
    - Waste collection
    - Registration and compliance under the Tourist Traffic Acts
    - Public liability insurance
    - General health and safety (risk assessments etc).

Do you have a business case yet? It seems like it would take a long time to get return on investment with all this in mind with just two pods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Lumen wrote: »
    This would presumably fall under the regulations for caravan and camping parks.

You have to think about the full scope of human needs that your guests will have in terms of shelter, sanitation, food, transport and so on.

Off the top of my head...

- Sewage treatment
    - Water supply
    - Electricity supply
    - Vehicular access and parking
    - Waste collection
    - Registration and compliance under the Tourist Traffic Acts
    - Public liability insurance
    - General health and safety (risk assessments etc).

Do you have a business case yet? It seems like it would take a long time to get return on investment with all this in mind with just two pods.

I guess I am trying to work out the specifics.
    Feasibility I will look at later, just trying to work out what the planning office will say and what the requirement would be.

And just on a side note, as I have booked a meeting to talk with the council.

The idea or requesting two would be a commercial idea.
    I would try and rent the out during the summer but would also act as an over flow to my house when family come and stay.

If I was to apply for one with it being used purely for domestic I would not even bother with toilet or shower, it would purely be a pod with electricity and a bed.

Would I even need planning permission to put this on my land?

With no toilet or shower it would essentially be fancy insulated wooden shed.

From another post I saw the following:

From the Irish statue book
    Class 3
    The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any tent, awning, shade or other object, greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other similar structure.

So a pod is essentially a fancy tent.
    6. The structure shall not be used for human habitation or for the keeping of pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses, or for any other purpose other than a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house as such.

Just wondering about the criteria, does camping out in it constitute human habitation?

Actually reading I think technically you cannot keep a tent up in your own garden for longer than 9 months without planning permission if the purpose of the tent is camping!

Advertisement