Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT test results dashboard for you to explore

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

How accurate is the information? Especially model types and the quantity of testing?

Two cars of mine tested in 2016 dont show up in that data?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

How accurate is the information? Especially model types and the quantity of testing?

Two cars of mine tested in 2016 dont show up in that data?

This dashboard displays a filtered version of the original data set, (NCT tests conducted in 2016, available from http://www.rsa.ie/) showing the 20 most popular makes of vehicle in the dataset, and for each of these, the models with at least 1000 tests carried out in 2016. The dataset covers the results of first tests only, and does not take into account mileage, maintenance or service history, and therefore may not directly evaluate vehicle quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The Nissan Puke is helped along a good bit by only having been in production since 2010 so it's quite meaningless unless you're only comparing cars of the same year. Also if cars are failing for consumable items like tyres and bulbs that's more a reflection on the owners of those cars

It wouls be nice to have an equivalent of http://howmanyleft.co.uk but you'll need contacts in the secret car registration inner circle and a hefty wad of cash to glean that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The Nissan Puke is helped along a good bit by only having been in production since 2010 so it's quite meaningless unless you're only comparing cars of the same year. Also if cars are failing for consumable items like tyres and bulbs that's more a reflection on the owners of those cars

But that's still a good indicator of reliability and passability in future. A neglected car will fail more often...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, unfortunately it seems the pass rates are more or less directly proportional to the age profile of the model. Look at the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla/Avensis, for example: They have unusually low pass rates despite being current models, but the majority of the cars doing the test are 2008 or older. If you search only 2009-2016 cars you get significantly different results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Agreed. Older cars are indeed more likely to fail - that's why we put the age selector slider at the top!

However, we think that if you're looking to buy a used car, this will be a handy tool for checking out cars before you go see them - to see how reliable the model (of that age) is, and to understand what it's most likely to fail on.

As for the 270k tests that we excluded, we had to cut it down otherwise it'd have been quite unwieldy. Also, there's a lot of bad data in there, where the model has just been input wrong (or at least inconsistently). However if you're interested in a car that's not on the list, you can download the source data from the RSA here http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/Make%20Model%20Data%202016.csv and filter / search the makes and models that interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The independent have done an article on this but they made a mess out of it. Despite mentioning that some models have been around far longer than others they still draw the headline grabbing conclusions they wanted.

Bloody media today.

Did you expect any more from the Indo? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Yes, unfortunately it seems the pass rates are more or less directly proportional to the age profile of the model.

The Fiat Panda seems to be doing very well. And that was last produced in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The Pandas I've seen are usually fairly clean and looked after. I've noticed that with certain models, they tend to be looked after more than others.

• Advertisement

The Pandas I've seen are usually fairly clean and looked after. I've noticed that with certain models, they tend to be looked after more than others.

Remember fondly my sister's old (model) Panda :) Surprised (not sure why) to see them being so reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Only problem I find the list and regarding 2nd hand car market and whats reliable is the jelly belly who just doesn't take care of the car or botches jobs to save 10 cents or just knows best because all garages are out to con you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

No. The Fiat Panda is still in production today.

chicorytip wrote: »
    No. The Fiat Panda is still in production today.

Ah, okay :o

grogi wrote: »
    This dashboard displays a filtered version of the original data set, (NCT tests conducted in 2016, available from http://www.rsa.ie/) showing the 20 most popular makes of vehicle in the dataset, and for each of these, the models with at least 1000 tests carried out in 2016. The dataset covers the results of first tests only, and does not take into account mileage, maintenance or service history, and therefore may not directly evaluate vehicle quality.

Incidentally, the lad who created the dashboard gave me a look at the data that we've had to exclude from the report. Seems lots of cars tested last year were had 'other' as either their make or model, and some were completely misclassified. For example the MX5 was represented in about 5 different ways, and no logical split. So sorry about that, but some of the data's of really low quality.

You can look at the source data on RSA.ie if you fancy digging into it.

Hi all,

We've updated the NCT dashboard with the 2017 test results - here: https://public.tableau.com/profile/idiro.analytics#!/vizhome/NCT2017Top20Makes/NCT2017-20MostPopularMakes

And also, we created a simple utility to allow you to look up the detailed NCT results for any make / model / year - you'll find it at https://idiro.com/NCTchecker.

Detailed instructions for both are here: http://idiro.com/2018/08/will-my-car-pass-the-nct/

Feedback welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

why would a 2016 or 2017 car show up
    surely youngest would be 2013 for the 2017 results year ( 4 years from new ? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

DaDumTish wrote: »

Bad data input I'm guessing...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Taxi?

I would hope they don't mix commercial with domestic. That would make a farce of the data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

beauf wrote: »
    I would hope they don't mix commercial with domestic. That would make a farce of the data.

You mean like PSVs?

I mean if you have a data set, taxi's or hackneys etc, or work vans, shouldn't be mixed with private use only vehicles as much as possible. As it would distort the data and any analysis of it. You should be able to seperate them.

Same with years age of vehicle. The results should be averaged per age of the vehicle. Not mixed across different ages.

It's a good question. We spotted that and we guess that you can get a car of any age tested, but why you would is a different question. I'll see if we can find out from the RSA (it may take a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

UK imports?

UK imports don't need an NCT until they're 4 years old either. And the MOT is now transferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

If you buy a brand new taxi with 0km it’s must still be tested before it gets a licence.

Advertisement