Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB News

Options
  • 17-08-2017 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Big news on the way.

Ssshh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

RTE to close down their Dab network ?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dave4565

Good when they had not got the sense to put one or two stations out NATIONWIDE instead to put FIVE stations in dublin cork and limerick only shows their priorities more interested to employ as many hangers on as they can rather than improving the national output so what will the poor children in D4 do for classical music now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dave4565 wrote: »
    Good when they had not got the sense to put one or two stations out NATIONWIDE instead to put FIVE stations in dublin cork and limerick only shows their priorities more interested to employ as many hangers on as they can rather than improving the national output so what will the poor children in D4 do for classical music now

There is one multiplex. It doesn't get cheaper to build out or run when you reduce the stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

A couple of weeks ago someone posted this here http://radiotoday.ie/2017/06/dab-radio-multiplex-to-close-as-fm-prospers/

It's a shame there was never the money or the commitment to roll it out nationwide. Seeing as its coverage is so limited, I can see them just axing it. Perhaps taking RTE Gold, 2XM and the others with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RTE Gold and 2XM would be a great loss if they were to disappear from DAB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

ThisRegard wrote: »
    RTE Gold and 2XM would be a great loss if they were to disappear from DAB.

Perhaps the 10 people who listen could purchase an internet radio ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sure you can buy 1 for each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dave4565

L1011 wrote: »
    There is one multiplex. It doesn't get cheaper to build out or run when you reduce the stations.

it would be cheaper when you have less staff i understand about the multiplexer but why any NATIONAL radio station thinks it's more important to have large number of stations than COVERAGE there is something wrong with the management

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

More Music wrote: »
    Big news on the way.

Ssshh.

Does this have to do with Rick O Shea and Will not wanted on 2fm but needing gigs to justify what they are being paid?

Let me guess... two daily RTÉ Gold shows for them so.

They can work alongside all the unpaid volunteers who do programmes on the RTÉ digital stations in the hope of getting paid gigs in the future.

Will the RTE unions continue to look the other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

“From June 30th, our trial will conclude when our ComReg trial licence expire

Will dab continue?

Will additional stations be added?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Nearly all radio stations under the IBI umbrella along with RTE stations will be available on a smallscale DAB minimux trial in Dublin very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

More Music wrote: »
    Nearly all radio stations under the IBI umbrella along with RTE stations will be available on a smallscale DAB minimux trial in Dublin very soon.

that is certainly great news.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not really much use for those of us who listen to either of them in the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

I don't understand the point of more "trials" I mean it's not sending a man to mars, we know the technology works. Also wouldn't it be better if such trials were tried in a part of the country with limited fm choice and poor internet so that the inhabitants could have some radio diversity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Joe Duffy. wrote: »
    I don't understand the point of more "trials" I mean it's not sending a man to mars, we know the technology works. Also wouldn't it be better if such trials were tried in a part of the country with limited fm choice and poor internet so that the inhabitants could have some radio diversity ?

the new trials are minny muxes rather then normal muxes. i presume using the same tech as trialed in the uk minny muxes. while we know from the uk experiments that the tech works, it does have to be trialed here again anyway, so that local conditions and other variables can be looked at in terms of proving the concept. i would agree though that maybe trialing this concept outside dublin would be a good idea. but i presume (and i'm just guessing) it comes down to dublin having the greatist chance of listenership due to it's population and the fact that dab has existed there for years. mind you, the minny muxes as far as i know don't require huge infrastructure like ordinary muxes so can be set up anywhere, easily (i'm definitely open to correction on that)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mind you, the minny muxes as far as i know don't require huge infrastructure like ordinary muxes so can be set up anywhere, easily (i'm definitely open to correction on that)

for example - Raspberry Pi Generates DAB+ Multiplex Stream (small scale DAB broadcasting project in Eindhoven, the Netherlands)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A single transmitter DAB installation does not require much kit these days

The second you go to having a second transmitter in a single frequency network you need proper time syncing which is still not cheap or easy and has increased running costs.

The main advantage of DAB in spectrum efficiency is SFN - the ability to give ~10 stations nationwide coverage for about 2Mhz when you need about the same for 1 FM station. Without that its effectively just opening up more spectrum which we unfortunately can't do with FM.

L1011 wrote: »
    The main advantage of DAB in spectrum efficiency is SFN - the ability to give ~10 stations nationwide coverage for about 2Mhz when you need about the same for 1 FM station. Without that its effectively just opening up more spectrum which we unfortunately can't do with FM.

This is the current breakdown of DAB+ services currently carried on the Niocast small-scale mux in Manchester, 27 services with RTÉ Radio to come, efficiency over quality?

screenshot_2017_09_19_08_41_01_orig.png

Red represents DAB, Blue represents DAB+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I'm picking up two newly available multiplexes in the Dublin area. Only about half of the stations are carrying audio, asterisked below. Quality and signal strength vary pretty wildly.

BLOCK 5A :

01. RTE R.1
    02. RTE 2FM
    03. RTE Lyric
    04. RTE RnaG
    05. RTE Gold
    06. RTE R.1 Extra
    07. RTE Pulse
    08. RTE 2XM
    09. RTE Jr.
    10. Beat
    11. C103 *
    12. Clare FM *
    13. 4FM
    14. Cork's 96 *
    15. 98FM
    16. ECFM
    17. FM104
    18. GBFM *
    19. KCLR *
    20. KFM
    21. Live 95 *
    22. Highland *
    23. M103 *
    24. 1 test

BLOCK 5B :

01. I-radio
    02. LMFM *
    03. MW Radio *
    04. Newstalk *
    05. N-Sound *
    06. Ocean FM *
    07. Q102
    08. R.Kerry
    09. R.Nova
    10. Red FM *
    11. S'side FM *
    12. SE Radio *
    13. Spin 1038 *
    14. Spin SW
    15. Spirit
    16. Sunshine
    17. Tipp FM *
    18. Today FM
    19. WLR FM *
    20. R. Fáilte *
    21. R na Life
    22. Rí Rá *
    23. 2 test

• Advertisement

I'm picking up two newly available multiplexes in the Dublin area. Only about half of the stations are carrying audio, asterisked below. Quality and signal strength vary pretty wildly.

BLOCK 5A :

BLOCK 5B :

All DAB+ I presume?

The Cush wrote: »
    All DAB+ I presume?

I would presume so myself, but I cannot confirm. They are accessible on my car DAB/DAB+ radio, but the level is so low, I cannot pick them up on my indoor DAB/DAB+ hifi.

The current quality of some of the audio is akin to listening to a Medium Wave transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jando11

Picking them up in Mt Saint Annes in Clonskeagh..

Don't know where you are getting you medium wave assesment from ,.. they all appear to be in 48k HE-aac (DAB+). The quality is perfectly fine to my untrained ear. I will say though that the DAB+ stations sound a hell of alot better than the RTÉ DAB services.

Untrained ear alert though.

jando11 wrote: »
    Don't know where you are getting you medium wave assesment from ,.. they all appear to be in 48k HE-aac (DAB+). The quality is perfectly fine to my untrained ear. I will say though that the DAB+ stations sound a hell of alot better than the RTÉ DAB services.

I listen to the RTÉ DAB mux here in Limerick which carries a number of stations in 48kbps/64kbps DAB+ which sound perfectly fine to me too.

Please note: I said "some of the audio".

The currently available DAB+ services are perfectly acceptable, but there is definitely a discernible variance in the quality of some of the audio. This may be due to the type of feed being received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

I have a great selection on DAB. In Donegal near the border. Certainly not from any of the 2RN tx.

Irish DAB has been somewhere on the scale between Neither Fish Nor Flesh and and a Dog's Breakfast. Are 2RN still sticking with the urban TXs? If so, why bother with it? It is either a viable transmission system or it isn't.

Was there any truth in the suggestion that the BBC had offered its stations free of charge to RTÉNL for Irish DAB? If they had taken it up, there was a golden opportunity for RTÉ Radio to be carried as a reciprocal in GB and NI, but the powers that be in Montrose weren't thinking ahead, and much as it pains the more Nationally-minded, having 5 Live on Irish DAB would have driven uptake.

But, to coin a phrase, we are where we are. Nowhere much further than when 'tests' started in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

I have a great selection on DAB. In Donegal near the border. Certainly not from any of the 2RN tx.

Irish DAB has been somewhere on the scale between Neither Fish Nor Flesh and and a Dog's Breakfast. Are 2RN still sticking with the urban TXs? If so, why bother with it? It is either a viable transmission system or it isn't.

Was there any truth in the suggestion that the BBC had offered its stations free of charge to RTÉNL for Irish DAB? If they had taken it up, there was a golden opportunity for RTÉ Radio to be carried as a reciprocal in GB and NI, but the powers that be in Montrose weren't thinking ahead, and much as it pains the more Nationally-minded, having 5 Live on Irish DAB would have driven uptake.

But, to coin a phrase, we are where we are. Nowhere much further than when 'tests' started in 2006.

That's a bit like the story that rte turned down Fr Ted

The network service labels are displaying Mimimux 1 on Block 5A and Minimux 2 on 5B. Both still running on very low power at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

The network service labels are displaying Mimimux 1 on Block 5A and Minimux 2 on 5B. Both still running on very low power at the moment.

Would you reckon it is currently being transmitted from RTE Donnybrook rather than Threerock?
    Was there any truth in the suggestion that the BBC had offered its stations free of charge to RTÉNL for Irish DAB? If they had taken it up, there was a golden opportunity for RTÉ Radio to be carried as a reciprocal in GB and NI, .

Where was that suggestion?
    And why would they (the BBC) ?? unless they could get a bit of the TV licence fee from the republic and/or insert advertising.

One non-BBC service from across the border is listed however, the Irish language R. Fáilte from Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

Antenna wrote: »
    Would you reckon it is currently being transmitted from RTE Donnybrook rather than Threerock?

Where was that suggestion?
    And why would they (the BBC) ?? unless they could get a bit of the TV licence fee from the republic and/or insert advertising.

One non-BBC service from across the border is listed however, the Irish language R. Fáilte from Belfast

Like I said, I was wondering was there any truth in that rumour. It could have mutated from the time that the BBC gave BBC Three and Four to RTÉNL free or at a very reduced rate for the testing phase of DTT.

Advertisement