Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 in 1 feeders

Options
  • 04-08-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Anyone having any difficulty getting one?
    Contacted the agent first in April, was told then it would be a month, latest I was told at the start of July they would be here in a fortnight, now can't get them on the phone atal....
    How does anyone that has one find it and is there any other type of feeder you would recommend?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Be here.from oz this week I was told

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

I was looking into getting one too but seems to be an issue with there supplier.

Does anyone with one know how much can you restrict the feeding level with nuts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

cattle man wrote: »
    I was looking into getting one too but seems to be an issue with there supplier.

Does anyone with one know how much can you restrict the feeding level with nuts ?

we fed ewe lambs here at three half a pound a day for a while on lamb pellets, pellets were 5mm I think, I'd imagine you could set it at any rate.....nuts might be harder to manage, they have to flow freely

rangler1 wrote: »
    we fed ewe lambs here at three half a pound a day for a while on lamb pellets, pellets were 5mm I think, I'd imagine you could set it at any rate.....nuts might be harder to manage, they have to flow freely

Did you find the feeder good?
    As in did all lambs adjust to it ok

Did you find the feeder good?
    As in did all lambs adjust to it ok

It worked well here, lambs got .5kg /daywith the grass and did very well and then 140 ewe lambs at .25kg /day going up to .5kg/day.
    The ewe lambs had very little grass and the one ewe that didn't figure it out became obvious very quick. The other lambs had lots of grass and you wouldn't really know whether they were all using it but there was a good kick in the liveweight gain.
    I have my feeder lent out at the moment to a nephew near Ballinasloe, he's using it with just crimped treated grain and it seems to the flowing through it grand, he's six mths waiting for his feeder . He had one ordered, so he ordered the second one since he tried mine out so it must be working well for him......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Apparently dairy direct have taken over the supply of advantage feeders in Ireland so hopefully now we will get somewhere!

Apparently dairy direct have taken over the supply of advantage feeders in Ireland so hopefully now we will get somewhere!

What model are you looking for when did they tink they would have some ?

What model are you looking for when did they tink they would have some ?

Just heard that the manufacturers in Australia contacted my nephew, so there's a different dealer now, and they're going to have some in Tullamore on sunday brought in from England and then things should improve after.....hopefully people will get some satisfaction now

rangler1 wrote: »
    Just heard that the manufacturers in Australia contacted my nephew, so there's a different dealer now, and they're going to have some in Tullamore on sunday brought in from England and then things should improve after.....hopefully people will get some satisfaction now
    I was after the 500 or 800, so they have a batch of the 500 expected on Friday 800s will be 3weeks.
    If anyone wants I can pm them the new dealers number.

I was after the 500 or 800, so they have a batch of the 500 expected on Friday 800s will be 3weeks.

PM me please

• Advertisement

Pm please

Anyone buy one after, how are you finding it

ive one and very happy with it so far, i find lambs dont gorge on it and seem to eat a few times a day. would love to fit a camera on it and mark a few lambs to see exactly how often they eat

razor8 wrote: »
    ive one and very happy with it so far, i find lambs dont gorge on it and seem to eat a few times a day. would love to fit a camera on it and mark a few lambs to see exactly how often they eat

Best yoke that came around here, lambs are even grazing out paddocks properly, they wouldn't even be venturing away from an ordinary feeder.
    Two bunches being fed here, one fed once a day and the other bunch on the feeder, ones on the feeder are doing a good bit better, neither are thriving great btw, suppose the weather is brutal.
    What are you using in it, have you tried grains, that's where the real cost saving is

i tried straight barley at the beginning but it was taking them a long time to get used to it, so i started using intensive lamb pellets which are smaller than ordinary nut and they took quickly to it.

there eating 1kg a day now and over last 2.5 weeks have been averaging 450g a day so i dont plan on changing it

I got one, had lambs on it, just on rolled barley don't have exact figures on what they were eating or weight gain but they definitely finished quicker than usual. Have it with ewes now as grass is getting scarce there eating just over 300g/head/day of rolled barley and it's at quite a high setting. Ewes are looking great and it is extending the grazing.
    I wonder has anyone tried one in a shed?
    Just wondering would it work for feeding ewes from mid pregnancy up to last 6weeks before switching to trough feeding...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I got one, had lambs on it, just on rolled barley don't have exact figures on what they were eating or weight gain but they definitely finished quicker than usual. Have it with ewes now as grass is getting scarce there eating just over 300g/head/day of rolled barley and it's at quite a high setting. Ewes are looking great and it is extending the grazing.
    I wonder has anyone tried one in a shed?
    Just wondering would it work for feeding ewes from mid pregnancy up to last 6weeks before switching to trough feeding...

were you not afraid of acidosis allowing the lambs to get stuck straight into the rolled barley or did you introduce it gradually?

I have had a 3 in 1 since last year but used to start the sheep on barley/oats in troughs and leave the feeder out with sheep pellets in it to get them in the swing of using it then gradually change the feed in the feeder from pellets to a pellet and oat mix, then oats and then a barley and oat mix and then just barley. maybe i was being too conservative and the fact that they can only eat a little at a time prevents the acidosis?

MD1983 wrote: »
    were you not afraid of acidosis allowing the lambs to get stuck straight into the rolled barley or did you introduce it gradually?

I have had a 3 in 1 since last year but used to start the sheep on barley/oats in troughs and leave the feeder out with sheep pellets in it to get them in the swing of using it then gradually change the feed in the feeder from pellets to a pellet and oat mix, then oats and then a barley and oat mix and then just barley. maybe i was being too conservative and the fact that they can only eat a little at a time prevents the acidosis?

I don't think acidosis is a problem once they are restricted from eating a large amount in one go, most cases of acidosis I see seem to be when they get a big feed at once. I would see the ewes coming and going a few times a day, I think they reckoned sheep would come and feed 7 or 8 times/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I know this is an old thread - but hopefully people wont mind me re-opening it...

Looking at getting one of these feeders...

Is it possible to set it to about 0.25kg/day - I see earlier in this thread, people were talking about 0.5kg/head.

Will use it for fattening, but also want to use it to give ewe lambs a maintenance feed over the winter, so want to see what the lowest setting is...

Thanks folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I know this is an old thread - but hopefully people wont mind me re-opening it...

Is it possible to set it to about 0.25kg/day - I see earlier in this thread, people were talking about 0.5kg/head.

Will use it for fattening, but also want to use it to give ewe lambs a maintenance feed over the winter, so want to see what the lowest setting is...

Thanks folks...

We've used them from .25kg up to as much as they can eat, you can set them to any level, they were invented to use with whole grain but we use them perfectly with pellets. Ours is the 500 model, Other models hold more feed but less feed space, the other models can be used for cattle or sheep. The 500 is the best value as regards trough space, we've used it on bunches of up to 150 lambs.

https://advantagefeeders.ie/product/500/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

wrangler wrote: »
    We've used them from .25kg up to as much as they can eat, you can set them to any level, they were invented to use with whole grain but we use them perfectly with pellets. Ours is the 500 model, Other models hold more feed but less feed space, the other models can be used for cattle or sheep. The 500 is the best value as regards trough space, we've used it on bunches of up to 150 lambs.

https://advantagefeeders.ie/product/500/
    Was looking into this also and from speaking to the suppliers the 500 and 800hd are more or less the same price. However he recommended the 800hd as made out of much stronger materials.

What type of pellets/nuts were you using Wrangler. On their website they mention for 3mm pellets that the minimum it can be set to is 500g but 200g for grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

Thanks folks...

I'm looking at getting one too. Haven't enquired yet though. Are they available from stock do you know dinzee? Any idea on price if you don't mind me asking, pm if you wish.

foxirl wrote: »
    Was looking into this also and from speaking to the suppliers the 500 and 800hd are more or less the same price. However he recommended the 800hd as made out of much stronger materials.

What type of pellets/nuts were you using Wrangler. On their website they mention for 3mm pellets that the minimum it can be set to is 500g but 200g for grain.

We used it at .25kg/day all this summer, we won't be doing it again as it didn't make enough difference in the weight gain for the work involved but it did feed them at .25kg/day, I think it was a 3mm pellet.
    The 800 is only half the width of the 500 and about 500 mtrs higher for throwing bags into.
    but the 500 is lighter stuff alright

We liked the Idea that it looked like an ordinary feeder so it wouldn't be a waste if it didn't do as it was supposed to, there wasn't many around when we bought that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We used it at .25kg/day all this summer, we won't be doing it again as it didn't make enough difference in the weight gain for the work involved but it did feed them at .25kg/day, I think it was a 3mm pellet.
    The 800 is only half the width of the 500 and about 500 mtrs higher for throwing bags into.
    but the 500 is lighter stuff alright

We liked the Idea that it looked like an ordinary feeder so it wouldn't be a waste if it didn't do as it was supposed to, there wasn't many around when we bought that one

Is the 3mm pellet the smaller (more expensive) pellet, vs the larger (more standard) ewe pellet?

Is the 3mm pellet the smaller (more expensive) pellet, vs the larger (more standard) ewe pellet?

OH has just corrected me, she thinks the layers pellets are three mm and the sheep pellets are 4mm, so I'm not sure.
    Our feed is just a standard lamb finisher pellet, we don't look for anything special. dusty pellets don't work well in damp weather.
    You'd be amazed at how the lambs get the pellets out, they can physically put their tongues up in to the hopper,

You'll see how it works in the first minutes of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbonW5dqq8

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Funny, I spent a few years in oz. Was working for a man, who knew the lad who invented these. Gave him my number. Have to say he was a sound fella. Was working out of a shed on the home farm.

At that time he hadn't came to Ireland or UK. Was looking for contacts that he could chat too over here etc..

At my tender age of 25..I had no interest....bit of mistake I feel now!😂😂

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Funny, I spent a few years in oz. Was working for a man, who knew the lad who invented these. Gave him my number. Have to say he was a sound fella. Was working out of a shed on the home farm.

At that time he hadn't came to Ireland or UK. Was looking for contacts that he could chat too over here etc..

At my tender age of 25..I had no interest....bit of mistake I feel now!����

Wasn't he very young too, I think he was a teenager when he dreamt up these, he was at a presentation in Kilkenny a few years back,

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Wasn't he very young too, I think he was a teenager when he dreamt up these, he was at a presentation in Kilkenny a few years back,

Only spoke to him on the phone but aye he seemed around my own age back then. He actually got me work on another farm in the area at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

Hi Folks

I m also looking at purchasing one of these feeders, thinking about it for a long while. I m convinced they work, at least I ve convinced myself anyways. I went to the open day in kilkenny a few years back. Met the man who developed them. Impressive guy. I know a few cattle men that have them and are happy with the performance.

I have hill sheep (kerry/mayo blackface types) in two groups, out wintered on a hill albeit a sheltered place. I want to to reduce the workload i.e. fill the hoppers once a week or so rather than hauling out feed every morning.

My two main concerns are :
    1.Will they work with horned ewes? Any videos I ve seen are lowland type sheep. Do the horns provide any impediment to the ewe getting near enough to the trough space in order to lick the feed out?

2. Is there anyone using them to supplement ewes for pre and post lambing? I hope to feed 6-8 weeks pre lambing and 6-8 after lambing.

Any experience or opinions greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

ADKELMAC wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I m also looking at purchasing one of these feeders, thinking about it for a long while. I m convinced they work, at least I ve convinced myself anyways. I went to the open day in kilkenny a few years back. Met the man who developed them. Impressive guy. I know a few cattle men that have them and are happy with the performance.

I have hill sheep (kerry/mayo blackface types) in two groups, out wintered on a hill albeit a sheltered place. I want to to reduce the workload i.e. fill the hoppers once a week or so rather than hauling out feed every morning.

My two main concerns are :
    1.Will they work with horned ewes? Any videos I ve seen are lowland type sheep. Do the horns provide any impediment to the ewe getting near enough to the trough space in order to lick the feed out?

2. Is there anyone using them to supplement ewes for pre and post lambing? I hope to feed 6-8 weeks pre lambing and 6-8 after lambing.

Any experience or opinions greatly appreciated.

A guy on facebook posted that horns were a problem

Advertisement