Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-07-2017, 14:51   #1
brokeasfeck
Registered User
 
brokeasfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 17
UL GEM Loan 2017

Hi everyone,

I am an incoming UL GEM student for 2017/2018. Thought I'd start up a new thread for this as I'm finding it hard to find relevant information on loans for UL GEM students, the GEM Loan Packages are changing every year. I'll share what I have found out so far below and if you can add something, please do.

Bank of Ireland UL: Michael Carroll (can't post his email as I'm a new user, PM me and I'll send it to you)
He is the GEM BOI Loan Co-ordinator at UL. He will assess your application in advance of your CAO offer.
I submitted my application to him and he had it assessed within a week. Unfortunately, he rejected it on the grounds of my guarantor but at least I have a heads up to reapply with another guarantor/to another bank.

Ulster Bank:
Emailed a lady from the Castletroy Limerick branch with UB GEM Loan query today and she responded by saying:
"Unfortunately, we are no longer offering the finance package to new entrants to the course."


As of now I do not have information on AIB and where they stand with UL GEM loans. If anyone has experience with them for 2017/2018, please share!
brokeasfeck is offline  
Advertisement
04-07-2017, 15:33   #2
medennial
Registered User
 
medennial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 44
Have no experience myself yet with the process but just wanted to say hard luck! I'm hoping to apply to UL myself next year, I'm taking this year out to try and put myself in the best position I can financially in order to apply for the loan.
Make sure you apply for the scholarship too if you haven't already.

Best of luck with it!!
medennial is offline  
Thanks from:
15-07-2017, 12:17   #3
mossie23
Registered User
 
mossie23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
As far as i know, BOI are the only bank that offer GEM loans (I could be wrong on that). and it seems to be the University branches specifically that offer the loans. For example BOI on UL campus is the only one that offers the loan for UL. If possible for you I would call down to the branch. Michael was really sound when I met him and talked to me about the whole process in a very easy to understand manner. It's a confusing enough process, but most people seem to have gotten sorted.
mossie23 is offline  
Thanks from:
15-07-2017, 16:34   #4
Anita Blow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,792
BOI is the only bank that offers GEM loans
Anita Blow is offline  
Thanks from:
15-07-2017, 17:04   #5
Seaaan123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeasfeck View Post
Hi everyone,

I am an incoming UL GEM student for 2017/2018. Thought I'd start up a new thread for this as I'm finding it hard to find relevant information on loans for UL GEM students, the GEM Loan Packages are changing every year. I'll share what I have found out so far below and if you can add something, please do.

Bank of Ireland UL: Michael Carroll (can't post his email as I'm a new user, PM me and I'll send it to you)
He is the GEM BOI Loan Co-ordinator at UL. He will assess your application in advance of your CAO offer.
I submitted my application to him and he had it assessed within a week. Unfortunately, he rejected it on the grounds of my guarantor but at least I have a heads up to reapply with another guarantor/to another bank.

Ulster Bank:
Emailed a lady from the Castletroy Limerick branch with UB GEM Loan query today and she responded by saying:
"Unfortunately, we are no longer offering the finance package to new entrants to the course."


As of now I do not have information on AIB and where they stand with UL GEM loans. If anyone has experience with them for 2017/2018, please share!

Hi, what score did you get that has you sure of being in limerick next year?
Seaaan123 is offline  
Advertisement
16-07-2017, 22:38   #6
brokeasfeck
Registered User
 
brokeasfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 17
Thanks everyone for your replies. Didn't realize BOI are the only bank offering GEM loans to all of the universities now. I was almost hoping another bank would accept my previous guarantor. I will have to find a suitable guarantor for BOI then. And I must agree with you mossie23, Michael from BOI UL was really helpful when I was dealing with him. I'll definitely go down to the UL branch to talk with him in person.
brokeasfeck is offline  
16-07-2017, 22:48   #7
brokeasfeck
Registered User
 
brokeasfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaaan123 View Post
Hi, what score did you get that has you sure of being in limerick next year?
I got a 59 in the September 2016 Gamsat. Based on previous scores I'm hoping the 59 will get me a place in UL. I know that the cut-off scores aren't just a reflection of past scores, if anything the trend is that they are rising. So I know that they are not predictable with certainty. Another two and a half weeks and we'll know for sure. Are you applying for UL too?
brokeasfeck is offline  
18-07-2017, 21:25   #8
Beariski01
Registered User
 
Beariski01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
I hope the cut offs don't rise by much! Does anyone know what date the offers come out from CAO? The website just says early August.

Trying to see if I'm likely to get the BOI loan at the moment, if I do manage to get the offer from limerick. They seem to be much more focused on guarantors compared to the last few years, friends of mine who started gem in limerick 4 years ago didn't even need to provide guarantors at all.
Beariski01 is offline  
19-07-2017, 16:18   #9
brokeasfeck
Registered User
 
brokeasfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beariski01 View Post
I hope the cut offs don't rise by much! Does anyone know what date the offers come out from CAO? The website just says early August.

Trying to see if I'm likely to get the BOI loan at the moment, if I do manage to get the offer from limerick. They seem to be much more focused on guarantors compared to the last few years, friends of mine who started gem in limerick 4 years ago didn't even need to provide guarantors at all.
I think the offers are out on August 3rd at 6am online. If the points do go up, I don't expect more than a 2 point increase for the first round of CAO offers. The points may be lower for later rounds.

Yea I'm in the same position as you are. Just need to find a guarantor and get an offer, how hard could it be?
brokeasfeck is offline  
Advertisement
24-07-2017, 17:14   #10
Beariski01
Registered User
 
Beariski01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
I managed to get the loan thankfully! Now just fingers crossed I manage to get an offer next week!!
Beariski01 is offline  
26-07-2017, 13:50   #11
brokeasfeck
Registered User
 
brokeasfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beariski01 View Post
I managed to get the loan thankfully! Now just fingers crossed I manage to get an offer next week!!
Congrats Bearski01, you're half way there now! I'll be sitting down with a possible guarantor-to-be next Wednesday to plead my case. Funny that it's also the day that the offers come out! Fingers and toes crossed!
brokeasfeck is offline  
Thanks from:
26-07-2017, 17:24   #12
Beariski01
Registered User
 
Beariski01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeasfeck View Post
Congrats Bearski01, you're half way there now! I'll be sitting down with a possible guarantor-to-be next Wednesday to plead my case. Funny that it's also the day that the offers come out! Fingers and toes crossed!
Best of luck with it!!
Beariski01 is offline  
27-07-2017, 10:55   #13
FatWalrus
Registered User
 
FatWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 37
Best of luck guys! I just finished secondary school, hopefully I'll be studying microbiology in Athlone. So after the course I'm thinking of doing the GAMSAT. Anyways. Again good luck guys. Don't give up!
FatWalrus is offline  
Thanks from:
05-08-2017, 18:49   #14
brokeasfeck
Registered User
 
brokeasfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beariski01 View Post
Best of luck with it!!
How long did it take BOI to assess your loan application Beariski01? Might be sending an application to them on Monday and wondering how long I'll have to wait to find out whether I'll be seeing you in UL or not!!
brokeasfeck is offline  
05-08-2017, 19:59   #15
Beariski01
Registered User
 
Beariski01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeasfeck View Post
How long did it take BOI to assess your loan application Beariski01? Might be sending an application to them on Monday and wondering how long I'll have to wait to find out whether I'll be seeing you in UL or not!!
It took 3 days after I sent it through so at least it's not too long of a wait, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Beariski01 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet