Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Turning much colder from Sunday; snow showers for some, frost and ice

• 20-04-2017 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭

More to follow as it's still a little early but prepare for some of those early seeds to fail.;)

ECM1-144.GIF?19-0

ECM0-144.GIF?19-0

More tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Would we not need uppers of at least -10c at this time of year for snow to fall at low levels, doubt -7/-8c would be quite cold enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

And so it begins....again lol

2803uu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

Different models are showing slight variances with regards to precipitation. Some are showing very heavy snowfall in certain areas during night hours. If this were to happen in any area, I think it would be so strange to have snow on trees that are now almost/fully in full leaf. I'd imagine the branches would be weighed down very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Some of the trees & plants could get very brown & stunted from this cold spell.
    Something like that happened about 5 years ago in Galway due to a storm in May. 
    It ended up blowing sea salt far inland which damaged all the young leaves. We had brown trees for most of the summer as a result. 
    That would probably show up in tree rings as a catastrophic summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Billcarson wrote: »
    Would we not need uppers of at least -10c at this time of year for snow to fall at low levels, doubt -7/-8c would be quite cold enough.

The GFS shows the -10c isotherm pushing into Scotland on Tuesday. The lowest Ireland currently has is the -5c isotherm on the GFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The GFS shows the -10c isotherm pushing into Scotland on Tuesday. The lowest Ireland currently has is the -5c isotherm on the GFS.
    The scottish skiing season might get enough snow to reopen so after a dismal year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can we have a ban on frivolous cold snap threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

850hPa temp run from the exact same time last year. Scarily similar to the current forecast:

image.gif

Haven't time to look at the temps this spell of weather in 2016 brought, but I can't recall this being a notable episode because I can't remember it at all. :o

Image: Vedur.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Tuesday will be cold

2zisy2t.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    850hPa temp run from the exact same time last year. Scarily similar to the current forecast:

image.gif

Haven't time to look at the temps this spell of weather in 2016 brought, but I can't recall this being a notable episode because I can't remember it at all. :o

Image: Vedur.

April 2015 and 2016's cold snaps at the end of both months were nothing notable.

All the news headlines including BBC were saying that the April 2016 cold spell was going to be the most significant April cold since April 1981. Meh, not even close.

I recorded a mean temperature of 5.0c from April 26th-30th 2016 which was -3.3c below my April LTA but personal experience tells me it was nothing exciting and was very forgettable. My minimum temperature for instance was -0.9c on the 27th. My lowest maximum temperature was 8.7c on the 28th. But hey, I don't speak for the whole country so here's some Ireland statistics.

This is the IMT (Irish Mean Temperature) for both April 2015 and 2016 during the period 26th-30th. April 2016's cold was colder than April 2015 but they were both fairly close to each other in terms of the IMT. Interestingly, both spells had their lowest IMT on the 27th.

ueQVcyp.png

Information gathered from Met Éireann for the Republic of Ireland and Met Office for Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement