Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Kilkenny have a greenway too?

Options
  • 25-03-2017 9:32pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the Waterford greenway opened today, 15million for a fantastic 46km greenway. I've been on most of it at this stage and I'd highly recommend it.

Could Kilkenny create its own greenway using the old Kilkenny City to portlaoise line, it would be a 30km route if the entire line could be used

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/dismantled-railway-abbeyleix-to-killkenny/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cabaal wrote: »
    So the Waterford greenway opened today, 15million for a fantastic 46km greenway. I've been on most of it at this stage and I'd highly recommend it.

Could Kilkenny create its own greenway using the old Kilkenny City to portlaoise line, it would be a 30km route if the entire line could be used

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/dismantled-railway-abbeyleix-to-killkenny/

Would be difficult as the line has been subsumed into farmland mainly I think? Think the Dungarvan one was preserved possibly? One from Portlaoise-Kilkenny-Waterford would be nice and linked to one in Wexford but it's a long way down the road- pity they couldn't have incorporated something when building the M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Would be brilliant to see this go ahead. The line is still visible on google maps so surely it would be possible to reinstate.
    I know the alignment has been built on around Kilkenny City, but what about building a bridge to link the nore linear walkway to the greenway near talbots inch?
    There used to be a suspension bridge there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

The line was closed in early 1960's and an Abandonment Order was issued, land was claimed by local landowners so I'd imagine costs of CPO would be huge.
    Deise Greenway line was lifted from Waterford to Ballincourty in late 80's early 90's and alignment was preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

As you come out of Ballyragget towards Kilkenny the straight wide stretch of road was built over the rail line, the old bridge on your right at the end of the straight was where the line went under and the old road went over.
    You can still walk a section of the line at Abbeyleix opposite the old station.
    Yes, it is a shame the powers that were didn't have the foresight to hold on to the permanent way even if the lines were taken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Here's a nice old map of the rail infrastructure of Ireland from 1906

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Map_Rail_Ireland_Viceregal_Commission_1906.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Kilkenny County Council has a 22km Greenway Planned in the South of the County from Waterford to New Ross.

Planning for the scheme is well underway.

https://consult.kilkenny.ie/en/consultation/waterford-newross-greenway-part-8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jambo wrote: »
    Kilkenny County Council has a 22km Greenway Planned in the South of the County from Waterford to New Ross.

Planning for the scheme is well underway.

https://consult.kilkenny.ie/en/consultation/waterford-newross-greenway-part-8

Presume this will link to the Dungarvan one?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

road_high wrote: »
    Presume this will link to the Dungarvan one?
    That's an interesting question. There's been a recent announcement in Waterford of a huge investment in the North Wharf area of Waterford City. The whole North Wharf area would take you from the end of the South KK greenway to Waterford bridge(it's a fairly short distance). From the bridge, you're very close to the start of the Deise Greenway. You would hope that this fact might be kept in mind for any North Wharf development(though, whatever happens, I suppose that there's nothing to stop people simply walking the short distance between the two Greenways along the public footpath).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's an interesting question. There's been a recent announcement in Waterford of a huge investment in the North Wharf area of Waterford City. The whole North Wharf area would take you from the end of the South KK greenway to Waterford bridge(it's a fairly short distance). From the bridge, you're very close to the start of the Deise Greenway. You would hope that this fact might be kept in mind for any North Wharf development(though, whatever happens, I suppose that there's nothing to stop people simply walking the short distance between the two Greenways along the public footpath).

A decent and properly thought out pathway to the greenway start would be great....but will the people who build on the North Wharf be willing to give up the space to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Cabaal wrote: »
    A decent and properly thought out pathway to the greenway start would be great....but will the people who build on the North Wharf be willing to give up the space to do this?

I would have thought that it ought to be possible without having to give up too much space. That said, I doubt that it will be a priority so probably not. Admittedly, there would also be a considerable gap between the bridge and the start of the Deise Green way so if the two are to link up, there will be work to be done at both sides.

However, while a link up would be nice, I suppose that the main thing is that these are two great amenities. I know that KKCC is in a consultation phase at present but does anyone know what is the time frame to start/finish the project?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

There is work underway for a Bluewaytrail ( A water based trails from Kilkenny to Inistioge), Greenways have a much broader appeal as almost anyone can cycle / walk.

I'm unsure if a Greenway from Kilkenny to Portlaoise would provide the same level of attraction as a coastal based route but it would be nice to have some one research this. I do think that there is huge scope for gentle off road cycling route to be included into existing way marked trails. The Nore trail to Bennetsbridge is prime for some development along these lines and would not be a huge task so would have potential to happen in a shorter time frame.

It's already managed by Trail Kilkenny and ties into the existing marketing strategy for tourism in Kilkenny, I'd love to see something like that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

A greenway around the old Castlcomer railway line would be a scenic enough. The coal line route used to connect in with GS&W Railways near Henneberrys cross on the N77. Again no preserved lands.

Sounds like it could be easier to get a River Nore Linear Walk or promote the Existing Walking routes rather than the old railways. If you had a path section from Henneberrys Cross to Ardaloo near threecastles, then you could walk from Kilkenny to Attanagh/Durrow along or close to the Nore on local low capacity roads and two tracks. There is already an old road from Campions Pub in Threeecastles to Lismaine Bridge between freshford and Ballyragget along the river Nore.

Hi folks. We've actually started a campaign for a feasibility study into creating a greenway along the old railway line between clonmel and Thurles. Again, this may not be feasible and i have identified a few barriers along the route but i suppose if i could give you advice is to never assume it cant be done and to push for this amenity in Kilkenny because the long term benefits will outweigh the short term costs as proven in Waterford

Id appreciate if you could share/support our page and i and many others would be happy to do likewise for any similar Kilkenny project.

Best of luck

https://www.facebook.com/tippofftrack/

Advertisement