Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Rainfall warning for West and North March 17th - 19th 50 to 80mm likely

• 16-03-2017 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

Just saw weather forecast and have been following this a few days now.

Paddys Day to Sunday high ground could get near 80mm of rain and gales of force 9.

Certainly 40mm or more at coastal stations like Belmullet or Finner and Malin

Feel free to insert images the more computer literate among you. Just think this deserves attention

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes, if Pauldry or a mod could perhaps add the level one tag to the thread title (Pauldry, you can edit your post in "advanced" to get at the title) that would be good. I think most of this rain will fall in two periods, one this afternoon, and a second one during the early morning to mid-day hours of Sunday. It will remain damp in between but there are two pulses of heavier rain coming. As this is largely an orographic event, higher terrain will capture most of the rain and not too much will get further east, total rainfalls in Leinster during the period may be only 10-20 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The world is water up here already; West Connemara 400 ft asl and apparently something of a micro climate.

Non stop deluge for an hour already, drumming on the roof and no mountains to be seen.

Bad weather for lambing; poor farmer neighbours ..

Just glanced up at the mountains and the sheer spates of water coming off now. Went out to check the stream that runs behind the cottage and a great waterfall feeding in from several different streams.

The back bank is flooded; front still holding. Path at the front is flooded.

Hoping gravity prevails, but still deluging hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well up on 25mm in parts of the West today but Sligo only had 10.4mm though interestingly Tubbercurry surely had way more as driving torrential rain here for the 4 hours I was there today so maybe 15 to 20mm.

At midday Finner had 13mm

It led the way

At 6pm we will prob see a few 20mm readings

Look out for Newport tomorrow.

Someone told me it was a deluge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary, but for some reason the wind this evening is absolutely wrecking our fences, which survived Doris for the most part.

• Advertisement

No just 18mm in Finner

But its a weekend event lets see what final totals bring

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Anyone finding the winds to be a lot stronger than expected? It's pretty heavy here in Firhouse, Dublin 24.
    Was pretty hairy driving from Bray to Firhouse earlier on the M50 also......

Dublin actually getting the strongest winds out of this for some reason. Shannon and Newport have seen some heavy rain in the past few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anyone finding the winds to be a lot stronger than expected? It's pretty heavy here in Firhouse, Dublin 24.
    Was pretty hairy driving from Bray to Firhouse earlier on the M50 also......

Yeah, I was saying about that above. I'm in Dublin 7, winds have calmed down a good bit now but they were wild from about 6pm onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah, I was saying about that above. I'm in Dublin 7, winds have calmed down a good bit now but they were wild from about 6pm onwards.

Hey Guys.. Does anyone know if the strong winds in Dublin are due to ease overnight? I'm at an outdoor event tomorrow and the screens we use can only operate below Force 7.. I wasn't expecting it to be this windy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gugsy

Hey Guys.. Does anyone know if the strong winds in Dublin are due to ease overnight? I'm at an outdoor event tomorrow and the screens we use can only operate below Force 7.. I wasn't expecting it to be this windy!

Winds will ease tomorrow to about force 3/4 before picking up again tomorrow night/sun morn.

Newport now has 32mm
    Finner has 20.7mm
    Shannon 19.8mm

These are up to midmight so ill update Shannon and Finner later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yester's totals. C/O Met Éireann:

trcOZBs.png

Galway City's total yesterday: 28.8mm at NUIG.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Yester's totals. C/O Met Éireann:

trcOZBs.png

Galway City's total yesterday: 28.8mm at NUIG.

Any totals for Tuam? Looks like palace fields will be wet tomorrow for Cross country competition.

Finner now 32mm
    Shannon 27mm
    Malin 26mm

but Newport probably 45mm

for the 48hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,740 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It seems to have been raining constantly for 2 days up here in the NW.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It seems to have been raining constantly for 2 days up here in the NW.

Same here in West Connemara. Cats keep coming in saturated... weary of the wet and wind,,..

Newport now has 54mm for the 2 days and more rain today.

Everywhere else is less than this apart from some areas of Connemara and mountains

Any totals for Tuam? Looks like palace fields will be wet tomorrow for Cross country competition.

Only got around 14mm out of this event Redsteve, but probably more in reality as my gauge is in a bit of a rain shadow during stiff SW winds (house to SW)

New Moon

pauldry wrote: »

Everywhere else is less than this apart from some areas of Connemara and mountains

Yep.. maybe I should start measuring? Do these things cost much? I had left an empty fuel. container out and there were literally 2-3 inches of rain in the bottom . Even after today that was.

It was the most prolonged and heavy rain I have seen here. Had water coming in where no water should be at one stage. And never seen torrents coming in off the sheer mountains behind the cottage before like that.

A question about rainbows. There was a spectacular one earlier. But very low arc, wide. Not the usual higher arch. And totally against the mountains,no sky; wondering why?

West Connemara 400 ft asl at the foot of high peaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just 9.2mm here since paddy's day, but its been raining almost consistently.

West Clare.

24 hour accumulation (based only on radar returns) over the 24hr period that was St. Patrick's (what a great name) Day.

image.gif

(from WeatherOnline)

@Grace7. A simple mug like this will do the trick:

custom_jumbo_mug-r39dcda20ab0c488abd4f96fe9b5776e6_2wnlh_8byvr_324.jpg

As long as the mug (or any other container) has an equal sized circumference from top to bottom, you'll get a good, representative reading of rainfall if placed in a fairly exposed area from events like this. Keep in mind though that when winds are particularly strong and rainfall is blowing at an angle, that readings will become a small bit less reliable. Just use a ruler to measure rainfall once the weather system has passed. (and post them on here!!)

Edit: Total from this event in Galway (NUIG) stands at 43.4mm

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Yep.. maybe I should start measuring? Do these things cost much?

I think the private weather station in Leenane should be close enough to your neck of the woods in west Connemara Graces7. Measurements for today/yesterday etc are at the bottom of the page.

http://weather.leenanevillage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pauldry wrote: »

Dry and sunny so far today thankfully, it was a horrible 48 hours though.

Newport ended at 75mm
    Finner at 42mm

Think these were most.

Advertisement