Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local or Regional Stations Picked Up Outside their Licensed Area

Options
  • 10-03-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

I remember seeing in another thread that Spin SW can be picked around north Co. Cork, e.g. Mallow. This is licensed for the south-west region.

There has to be loads of situations like this across the country.

Continuing with Cork, I would imagine that Spin SW can be picked up around at least some of west Cork, being close to Kerry. I know for a fact that Beat (the south-east youth station) can be received in Youghal, which is in east Cork.

Various stations from adjacent (or nearly adjacent) counties can be picked up in different parts of Dublin: Wicklow's East Coast, LMFM, Midland Radio and Kildare's KFM.

In some parts of Wicklow, you can get Wexford's South East Radio or KCLR (Kilkenny/Carlow).

In some of Meath and some of Louth, all the commercial Dublin stations can be picked up.

iRadio, which is the youth station covering the north-east.north-west, west and some midlands, can be picked up in parts of Meath and Dublin.

Any more examples, please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Mayos Midwest radio always had a very big fanbase in neighbouring counties thanks to it's almost wall to wall country and Irish format

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

The following non out of county stations can be heard in certain parts of Waterford:
    KCLR almost all over the county with RDS
    Southeast likewise
    Tipp FM, Spin Sw, and even community station Tipp MWR, all in certain areas.
    On the other hand, Cry104 in Youghal which is allegedly also supposed to cover West Waterford, only covers parts of that area.

I meant the following stations outside of Waterford that can be picked up in certain parts

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Radio Kerry can be picked up widely across Munster due to having a 20kW (albeit directional) on top of Mullaghanish. The 97.6 transmitter on Knockanore can also be picked up along the coast as far as Galway, especially in west Clare.

C103, 96FM and RedFM can all be picked up across Co. Limerick and Limerick city due to the flatness of County Limerick and the proximity of the transmitters atop Mount Hillery and Corran Mtn. They can also be picked up into county Kerry and parts of Tralee and Killarney. West Waterford is less succeptable to reception due to the transmitter in Youghal being low power.

WLR FM and Beat on 95.1/102.2 can be picked up in elevated parts of Cork city and large swathes of county Cork due to high power and proximity to the border at Dungarvan.

Tipp FM 103.3 from Laghtseefin can be picked up well into Co. Cork and Limerick too. 103.9 from Devilsbit along with the Birdhill relay on 95.3 are clear as a bell in Limerick city too.

Clare FM's 96.4 gets well into Galway and Limerick due to high power from Maghera. 95.9 from Woodcock Hill and 96.6 from Killaloe both get into Limerick city well, and 95.5 from Kilrush covers the Shannon estuary in Co. Kerry.

Spin South West on 102.7 from Maghera covers Co. Galway well and well into Co. Mayo. 94.7 from Devilsbit covers the midlands and up the M7 corridor well

The increased amount of relays and the regional youth stations/4FM have reduced reception a lot. For example Shannonside 104.1 was widespread in Munster before 4FM 104.2 came on.

Red, 96 and C103 are actually pretty strong in most of west Waterford as well as parts of tipperary, Wlr gets well into kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

My parents live in north Sligo and they can get both Mid West Radio and Highland Radio loud and clear.

You can also get the BBC stations on FM too, but obviously audio quality isn't great. It used to be pretty clear at least up to 2010 or so as I was a loyal BBC R1 listener as a teenager. Signal strength has weakened a lot since then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Red, 96 and C103 are actually pretty strong in most of west Waterford as well as parts of tipperary, Wlr gets well into kilkenny.
    WLR's Carrickpherish transmitter on 97.5, 5kW, is only a few miles from the KK border so it would get into KK well.

About the Cork stations, they would be receivable along the border but Dungarvan etc would have poor reception. If they were strong in Dungarvan it would negate the need for the relays in Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

Midlands 103 can be picked up quite clearly in Kildare along the road from Edenderry through Derrinturn, Allenwood, Prosperous and Clane and on into parts of Sallins.

Beat could be heard clearly on 102.0 along the same route only for Q102 on 102.2.

East Coast FM can be heard quite well throughout most of South Kildare on 99.9.

Radio Nova and 98FM are also reasonably clear as far out as Athlone on the M4/M6.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Almost every station is picked up outside its licensed area. If you try hard enough you can pick up English stations on the East Coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you can get Nova in Longford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Sometimes I still can get my hands on BBC Radio 1 in SW Dublin on 99.7fm, IIRC. It is always a joy when I can pick it up.

I couldn't be sure where it's beamed from.
    Thank goodness for Astra, which means I can pick it up on the telly, crystal clear, if I choose. Other than the internet, obviously.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I frequently get Beat on 102.0 in North Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yesnow

Midlands 103 (Tullamore I think) as far west as Mayo
    Shannonside (Longford) the same
    Ocean FM (Sligo) as south North Galway at least if not reaching the City
    Midwest Radio (Ballyhaunis, Mayo) as far south as Ballyvaughan, Clare as far east as at least Athlone and as far north as Sligo maybe even south Donegal
    Spin South West (Limerick) out north past Galway
    Classic Hits (Various Cities) Galway transmittor meant to cover city area but somehow can be received in Roscommon

yesnow wrote: »
    Midlands 103 (Tullamore I think) as far west as Mayo
    Shannonside (Longford) the same
    Ocean FM (Sligo) as south North Galway at least if not reaching the City
    Midwest Radio (Ballyhaunis, Mayo) as far south as Ballyvaughan, Clare as far east as at least Athlone and as far north as Sligo maybe even south Donegal
    Spin South West (Limerick) out north past Galway
    Classic Hits (Various Cities) Galway transmittor meant to cover city area but somehow can be received in Roscommon

Shannonside was receivable down in Kerry on 104.1 until 4FM started on 104.2. It has excellent coverage given it's power.

Ocean FM is from Truskmore - given its height and 5kW ERP it would have good coverage alright

Midwest on 96.1 causes a nuisance to 96FM in parts of North Cork in the car. It's daft considering that the 96.1 site at Kiltimagh gives poor coverage in many parts of Mayo

Spin's transmitter (102.7) is at Maghera near Gort, I'd imagine it's directional but with that power and the fact that Maghera is the primary site for the west of Ireland it's little wonder it goes north, as far as parts of Sligo

Classic Hits transmitter (104.6) is also at Maghera, and is to cover Co. Galway, Co. Clare and parts of Co. Limerick so Roscommon will get covered also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Q Radio (Newry) can be picked up all the way as far south as Swords/Malahide. Skerries stretches out as far as Kilkeel so you can get a pretty good signal for it there. I know because I've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yesnow

marno21 wrote: »
    Midwest on 96.1 causes a nuisance to 96FM in parts of North Cork in the car. It's daft considering that the 96.1 site at Kiltimagh gives poor coverage in many parts of Mayo

As far as I can tell Kiltimagh is meant to be a long range transmitter generally suited to the gently sloping Midwest area (Think east Mayo/ north Galway/ south Sligo/ Roscommon). The "mountain" in Kilti is only such by east Mayo standards if even, and would be considered low ground in other parts of the county such as in Westport/Ballina/Belmullet areas. So it would make sense that these areas wouldn't receive 96.1 with mountains blocking it out and have their own shorter range frequencies for the station.

For some reason Cork stations are easier receivable in rural East Waterford (Lemybrien/Killmackthomas area) than Dungarvan

For some reason Cork stations are easier receivable in rural East Waterford (Lemybrien/Killmackthomas area) than Dungarvan
    Dungarvan is at sea level; Lemybrien/Kilmacthomas are quite elevated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Q Radio (Newry) can be picked up all the way as far south as Swords/Malahide. Skerries stretches out as far as Kilkeel so you can get a pretty good signal for it there. I know because I've tried it.

Listening to Q on 101.1 in Rathgar earlier today - DJ crashing the lyrics of the songs ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Picking up Beat Fm from Waterford in Navan on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

It been a Midlands station, Radio 3 (Midlands 103) was picked up by me in Waterford city, county Cork, Mayo, Bundoran Donegal, Dublin City and county and even on the A1 near Belfast in the past. Not sure how far it gets today, I know once I hit the north M50 it’s swamped by a local Spin 1038 relay. They consequences of a more packed and efficient FM band.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Limerick_Dub

I can pick up Midlands 103 on 103.5 from Slieve Bloom (I think) in my car in Limerick City.

BBC Radio Wales I can pick up on 882 with a reasonable signal day or night. Radio Scotland on 810 is weak but just about listenable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Remembered there that I once got Spin1038 quite clearly driving between Portrush and Portstewart. Forgot to check again to see if it just a freak incident the next times I've been up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Radio5

BBC Radio 3 loud and clear on the drive from Killarney to Cork this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

I can pick up Radio Kerry as far as Moneygall on the M7. Go over the hills (north of the Junction) and it switches to Kildare FM (KFM).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

I recall Connamara Community Radio (from Clifden area, Co. Galway) being receivable on 87.8 on the main road between Glenbeigh and Caherciveen in Co. Kerry when pulled in here (near a turnoff for a place called Kells):

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.0290935,-10.0900861,3a,75y,344h,84.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8fsoZE-BWvWAcD1wBN1dog!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In a straight line, its about 100 miles away, but no great surprise as its a favorable path. Also anything else on 87.8 such as Clermont Carn was not a hindrance there .
    If you were to drive, its about 200 miles away! (though using the car ferry across the Shannon would shorten that a bit)

Surely every new and new-ish car now has internet access and Bluetooth, making the question of licencing and regional broadcasting totally redundant. I listen to LBC when I'm driving down the country

The sooner we scrap our current, increasingly-archaic licencing system, the better it will be for radio listeners. Any word on the current status of the proposed digital licence fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Large chunks of the FM band are almost unused in the South East, so reception of out-of-county stations isn't a surprise.

Aside from KCLR (KK) and South East from the adjacent counties (though South East smashes into 96FM by the time you reach the Seanachai), I've regularly picked up C103, RedFM, SpinSW, Midlands 103.5, BBC R4 around the outer ring, or along the Williamstown road on average days. Occasionally iRadio and 4FM out near carrickpherrish/old kilmeaden road area.

On good days, I've gotten: the four BBC Radio 1, BBC R2, BBC R3, BBC R4, Classic FM, BBC Cymru, BBC Devon and others I can't recall right now. On one particularly fun day I had 'Six FM' before it became Q106.

The strangest day was picking up stations with the following RDS:
    * RNE 5-LU
    * RPA FM
    * 40 ELDA
    No idea where they hail from but this was while driving between Dungarvan and Lemybrien.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The strangest day was picking up stations with the following RDS:
    * RNE 5-LU
    * RPA FM
    * 40 ELDA
    No idea where they hail from but this was while driving between Dungarvan and Lemybrien.
    Spain - there is a site overlooking Barcelona that in certain weather conditions blasts into the south East - used to play havoc with RTE TV reception

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach

East Coast FM, despite having a target audience of Wicklow, do live up to their name. I have picked them up as far north as Dunleer on 96.2.

KFM can be picked up easily around Drogheda

Classic Hits can be found almost all the way down the M7 and parts of north Kerry too

I also picked up Galway Bay FM on the N69 not too long ago. I can't recall where exactly, but before Foynes.

Advertisement