Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job as OPW Seasonal guide

Options
  • 01-03-2017 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey just looking for advice from anyone who has worked as seasonal guide with the OPW before. Will I be expected to have a tour prepared for the first day or will they ease me in. Never worked as a tour guide before so just want to have something prepared in case I am thrown into it the first day.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Congratulations!!! New tour guide - how exciting! Well done!

They will expect you to know your stuff about the place & all the dates & facts & associated history around it at your fingertips. I would imagine they would have you shadow someone or have a few days training - I wouldn't rely on the second though. If its one of the smaller sites you might be one of only two or three so I would be making sure I was up to speed & had visited & done a tour before I started if possible so I would know the subjects to swot up on. You will have a great summer! Well done! I did it years back & remember being terrified of maybe having to do one in German or Irish - I bigged up my skills abit - luckily that never happened!! After that English was a breeze! We were a big site & a lot of us joined new together so we had ' classroom' training but no scripts - every tour followed a route & had things we had to say & a policy around how we could reply and what we could & couldn't say - otherwise we had to script/ adapt our own tours for the different routes we might have to take & be prepared for anything! Shadowing was a godsend but it only boughy you limited time before your first 'test' tour. I'm not sure If It was better or not that it was pre google! At least now you can google if you are desperate! Back then pre wifi you had to be a walking encyclopaedia! Good Luck - you are obviously good or they would not have given it to you. You will love it!!

Advertisement