Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT69 - e-working credit

Options
  • 13-02-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any info on this?

Somebody in work mentioned this to me this morning in that there is a tax credit available for people who work from home since 2014 to the value of €3.20 per day

Never heard of it but if its true I could be due a small little rebate

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

the information is here its a payment your employer can make to you free of tax rather then being a credit

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it69.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Sorry for bumping an old thread ... Did you get anywhere with claiming this relief?

I put in a request to revenue in feb this year and just got a reply - i've worked 100% from home since 2013

I had been expensing my BB already ... Revenue are asking for previous years utility bills heat , electric , bb , etc.

I'm thinking it might be a lot of work trying to track down all that info if the credit is worth fek all to me ..

They really make it hard for normal people to claim these things don't they!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

LizardKing wrote: »

Sorry for bumping an old thread ... Did you get anywhere with claiming this relief?

I put in a request to revenue in feb this year and just got a reply - i've worked 100% from home since 2013

I had been expensing my BB already ... Revenue are asking for previous years utility bills heat , electric , bb , etc.

I'm thinking it might be a lot of work trying to track down all that info if the credit is worth fek all to me ..

They really make it hard for normal people to claim these things don't they!!!

But if you settled for the weekly €16 tax-free payment from your employer then presumably you wouldn't have to go near Revenue?

not sure what that means.. I understood this relief was for things like electricity , water and heat etc. using your home as an office.

I understood it could be claimed on top of other home office expenses like employer providing a computer/printer or internet access .

I asked my employer first about it and they said it was between me and revenue to discuss and that it was not something an employer could just enable.

Are you saying an employer can just allow €16 per week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

not sure what that means.. I understood this relief was for things like electricity , water and heat etc. using your home as an office.

I understood it could be claimed on top of other home office expenses like employer providing a computer/printer or internet access .

I asked my employer first about it and they said it was between me and revenue to discuss and that it was not something an employer could just enable.

Are you saying an employer can just allow €16 per week ?

Did you research the working from home credit?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/e-working-and-home-workers/index.aspx

• Advertisement

Yes , that's what this thread is about .. i've researched it and think I am eligible for it. I phoned revenue and they said to open a request through revenue on line which i have done (very slow to respond)

I was hoping the thread originator or others since then who have had some experiences claiming this credit could comment on it.

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yes , that's what this thread is about .. i've researched it and think I am eligible for it. I phoned revenue and they said to open a request through revenue on line which i have done (very slow to respond)

I was hoping the thread originator or others since then who have had some experiences claiming this credit could comment on it.

Thanks

as answered in the second post and various links there is no credit.

you are understanding this whole thing wrong. your employer may choose to make a payment to you tax free of 3.2 a day or 16 a week if you are working from home.

So when my Employer told me this was something I need to work with Revenue directly with were they incorrect?

Currently revenue are requesting lots of past utility bills etc. in order to claim this ... so would be good to hear from someone who has gotten this and the steps they took to get it.

So when my Employer told me this was something I need to work with Revenue directly with were they incorrect?

Currently revenue are requesting lots of past utility bills etc. in order to claim this ... so would be good to hear from someone who has gotten this and the steps they took to get it.

yes your employer was wrong

read the link

it's been posted twice in this thread. once before you commented resurrected it.

also theres no obligation to pay it. just an option.
    You can make an extra payment of €3.20 per day without deducting Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) or Universal Social Charge (USC). This payment is to cover expenses such as heating and electricity costs.

If your employee’s costs are higher, they can make an expenses claim online after the end of the year. To do this, they must submit receipts to their local Revenue office using MyEnquiries which is available through MyAccount.

OK ... Thanks for your replies. I've read the details in the past a number of times and again. The link was not why I resurrected the thread.

Have you experience with this yourself in real-world or just from what you have read about it?

I initially contacted my employer to get this and they told me it was between me and revenue to claim.

I then contacted revenue by phone and they told me I needed to open with ROS online and they are now engaged with me to request more details.

Revenue at no stage said it was something my employer could "choose" to pay ( So am wondering why they'd not just tell me this!!)

Having never had a happy experience with contacting Revenue I was hoping someone in the taxation forum or on this thread may have some experience with claiming this credit or paying this either as employee or employer.

Thanks

• Advertisement

real world experience

yes on a professional basis offering advice to clients on ways to incentivis their staff into working at home in a tax efficient manner and also supervising the operation of payroll where this is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

OK ... Thanks for your replies. I've read the details in the past a number of times and again. The link was not why I resurrected the thread.

Have you experience with this yourself in real-world or just from what you have read about it?

I initially contacted my employer to get this and they told me it was between me and revenue to claim.

I then contacted revenue by phone and they told me I needed to open with ROS online and they are now engaged with me to request more details.

Revenue at no stage said it was something my employer could "choose" to pay ( So am wondering why they'd not just tell me this!!)

Having never had a happy experience with contacting Revenue I was hoping someone in the taxation forum or on this thread may have some experience with claiming this credit or paying this either as employee or employer.

Thanks

From the link. Your employer can pay you the e working payment if you have agreed it with them.

And:

If your employee’s costs are higher, they can make an expenses claim online after the end of the year. To do this, they must submit receipts to their local Revenue office using MyEnquiries which is available through MyAccount.

OK - Fantastic ..

So from what you've said :

1) my employer (HR person) was not correct in stating the below when I requested this credit be applied to me

"
    Unfortunately I cannot answer this for you as each person’s tax situation is different and furthermore Revenue will only speak to you directly about your allowances/tax relief. You will need to contact Revenue directly.
    "

2) Contacting Revenue may be fruitless as the Employer has to allow this (unless I can ~maybe~ get it back dated )

Thanks

One more question on this ... taken from latest doc I could find ( https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-05/05-02-13.pdf)

The documentation states
    " e-Workers will incur certain expenditure in the performance of their duties from home, such as additional heating and electricity
    costs. Revenue allows an employer to make payments up to €3.20 per day to employees without deducting PAYE, PRSI,or USC. "

Is this an extra payment paid from the employer or can this €3.20 per day be taken from the employees normal pay ?

If its extra then I can see why my employer may not want to do this. If it will not cost them anything (other than administration) then I cannot.

Yea it's an extra payment. You can't do any salary sacrafice arrangement where your employer gives you a paycut and then gives you an allowance.

OK Many Thanks Ciaran

Advertisement