Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Options
  • 18-01-2017 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

I've installed one of these recently on my boiler to give me smart phone control and control of time schedules.
    https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-dual.html
    They have a wide range of products, plug sockets, light fittings and even multi output DIN rail mountable units for controlling multiple devices.
    They compare well with the likes of Nest and Climote at about €8 delivered.
    https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-dual.html
    They are based on the ESP8266 chipset and are arduino compatible. It's possible to reprogram them using the Arduino IDE if you're so inclined.

Their app is decent enough for a Chinese company, you can share devices with other users and manage their privileges.
    Initial setup only involves inputting your WiFi password and clicking next a few times.
    No complaints from me so far.

Plenty of resellers on eBay also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Can you log into this from outside your wifi?
    as in if on holidays you want to turn on lights at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Yep, works from anywhere through their app. Obviously your WiFi needs to be on at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Can we make this play ball with IFTTT, or I daresay Alexa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is this like those TP link wifi smart plug?

is this like those TP link wifi smart plug?

No, absolutely nothing like it.

• Advertisement

Jaden wrote: »
    Can we make this play ball with IFTTT, or I daresay Alexa?

You can reflash them with an MQTT compatible firmware which may help with this:
    https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-MQTT-OTA-Arduino

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

air wrote:
    I've installed one of these recently on my boiler to give me smart phone control and control of time schedules.
    I've one too, great device

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

air wrote: »
    You can reflash them with an MQTT compatible firmware which may help with this:
    https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-MQTT-OTA-Arduino

Just to call out this requires being comfortable with a soldering iron and connecting GPIO pins etc.. I was ready to buy a couple until I saw this

beanian wrote: »
    Just to call out this requires being comfortable with a soldering iron and connecting GPIO pins etc.. I was ready to buy a couple until I saw this

The TH16 version has GPIO14 available on the jack port so no soldering required for that one.
    Regardless, the hacking involved is very minimal.

This guy has great videos on them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mz5sCAvDAY

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

I was in the middle of ordering these also for the same purpose as the timer part packed in on my heating switch.

• Advertisement

Go for it durtybit, I doubt you'll find a mechanical switch as cheaply!
    Just to be clear they work straight out of the box with the manufacturers app for basic applications. Hacking of any sort is only required if you want to run alternative firmware versions etc.

Go for it durtybit, I doubt you'll find a mechanical switch as cheaply!
    Just to be clear they work straight out of the box with the manufacturers app for basic applications. Hacking of any sort is only required if you want to run alternative firmware versions etc.

Totally understand! ON/OFF and a timer is about as much as I need :D

I had the idea a few weeks ago and was not sure if they could be applied to this objective. Nice to see you answered that question in my head.

Would it be better to go for the higher amp rated one to replace the heating switch?

No need, your boiler and circulation pump are likely to be well within the limits of the lower amp model, consult an electrician if at all unsure though or if you have something different than a basic domestic boiler with circulation pump.

You should be quite happy with it I think.
    The only downside to the default firmware for basic use in my opinion is that the physical button on the unit doesn't toggle the outputs, it's only used for entering programming mode to set the WiFi details etc.
    Easy to put a switch in parallel though for manual override.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Usually it's all handled and sized at 5 amps
    The issue here is that you'd need to make sure you feed the circulation pump , you'd hope that the boiler will do that for you once you give it a permanent live and a switched live through this unit.

The unit I have has a 433 MHz remote too. So it works when wifi is down.

I haven't used it in heating though so I'm not recommending or condemning their use here.

Stoner wrote: »
    Usually it's all handled and sized at 5 amps
    The issue here is that you'd need to make sure you feed the circulation pump , you'd hope that the boiler will do that for you once you give it a permanent live and a switched live through this unit.

The unit I have has a 433 MHz remote too. So it works when wifi is down.

I haven't used it in heating though so I'm not recommending or condemning their use here.

Electrician will be coming at some stage to fit outdoor lighting so I can add this to the list (might use a few on the outdoor lighting too!!)

The Sonoff is also available with 433 RF as an option for a euro or 2 more if you feel it necessary. WiFi is only necessary for manual control though or if you want to change the settings, the timer will work away happily without it in a network outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I had our heating ran off a sonoff in our old house without issue. I reflashed it with some home assistant compatible firmware which I kind of regret as it's not the road I want to go down now and there is no going back to the itead firmware which was great for plug and play.

http://www.chet.ie/#category/1/article/240

Is there no way to easily back up the Itead firmware before reflashing? A shame if they don't make the compiled code available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would be interested in this for the boiler. Wouldn't have a clue on the electrical side, though.

• Advertisement

Would be interested in this for the boiler. Wouldn't have a clue on the electrical side, though.
    It's not a whole lot more advanced than wiring a plug to be honest, live and neutral in and live out. They even have sprung terminals for terminating the wires.

The YouTube video I linked above gives a great run down on how to enclose it within an enclosure and link out the earth etc for a really safe and secure installation.

It's not a whole lot more advanced than wiring a plug to be honest, live and neutral in and live out. They even have sprung terminals for terminating the wires.

The YouTube video I linked above gives a great run down on how to enclose it within an enclosure and link out the earth etc for a really safe and secure installation.

why does it need to be a dual switch instead of a standard sonoff single switch?

why does it need to be a dual switch instead of a standard sonoff single switch?

It doesn't, sorry if I gave that impression.

It doesn't, sorry if I gave that impression.

grand, I thought I was missing something with the wiring!

I got my Sonoff switch based on your recommendation! However we need the existing heating control panel to work as it currently does. Is it possible to wire the sonoff in parallel so the heating can be turned on/off from either the panel or via wifi?

I got my Sonoff switch based on your recommendation! However we need the existing heating control panel to work as it currently does. Is it possible to wire the sonoff in parallel so the heating can be turned on/off from either the panel or via wifi?

Yes, 100% and I've done it for a friend already. Just mounted it below the exiting heating timer, the heating runs if either the old timer or the Sonoff is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

these look decent. If anyone needs larger loads, always remember you can fit a contactor such as this : to your fuse board *please get an electrician to do this. Then you can use cheap AC wifi switches to do whatever you want.

25A : http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/contactors/7446854/
    40A : http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/contactors/7912966/

Yes, 100% and I've done it for a friend already. Just mounted it below the exiting heating timer, the heating runs if either the old timer or the Sonoff is on.

I don't suppose you could explain how you did this? I have basic wiring knowledge but dont want to have to get a sparks in just to wire this in.

The switched live goes to both the timers / controllers and then to the device to be controlled.
    Just basically establishes 2 parallel circuits from the live supply to the device. If either the timer or the controller closes then power is supplied to the device.
    Please ensure your basic wiring knowledge is sufficient to allow you to do this safely before you start.
    If you have any doubts consult a qualified and competent professional.

• Advertisement

The switched live goes to both the timers / controllers and then to the device to be controlled.
    Just basically establishes 2 parallel circuits from the live supply to the device. If either the timer or the controller closes then power is supplied to the device.
    Please ensure your basic wiring knowledge is sufficient to allow you to do this safely before you start.
    If you have any doubts consult a qualified and competent professional.

OK I think I understand. In this scenario though the SonOff is unaware that the boiler is on if switched on via the panel. And if you turn it on via the panel you must turn it off via the panel & vice versa is that right?

Advertisement