Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

halfords bike complaint

Options
  • 14-01-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a bike from halfords in february 2016 and i have been having problem after problem with the bike.
    I have taken it to 2 seperate halford bike shops in dublin.
    However, the service is very poor.
    Not taking details down,not fixing the problem....
    For example bottom bracket replaced after 5 months in the bike and there is still an issue with it.Its a boardman hybrid commuting bike...
    Back wheel was replaced as internal part of the wheel was broken.
    Do I have a right to demand my money back as the bike is till under warranty but it spends more time in the shop than on the road.
    any advice please on what i should do as i need this bike for cycling to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

thebourke wrote: »
    ..Do I have a right to demand my money back as the bike is till under warranty but it spends more time in the shop than on the road...
    AFAIK they are entitled to continue to 'repair' it while under warranty.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You can always ask but I would suggest if it's causing so many problems (and you can provide details of how much it has been off the road) you say to them it's not fit for purpose ( if you believe that to be the case). If they accept that they should either replace or refund. I would again suggest going down the replacement route as I suspect they would be more amenable to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

to be honest i dont want to buy another bike from that sjop as i feel that both mechanics and customer service is not up to the job....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK they are entitled to continue to 'repair' it while under warranty.
    there's nothing set in stone as to what the various rights or responsibilities are in terms of repair vs. replacement vs. refund.

in the above scenario, i would guess (IANAL) that due to the fact that the OP has still not had a satisfactory conclusion, that this suggests halfords were not able to supply a bike that was fit for purpose, and i'd be asking for a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If you haven't already you need to speak with the manager. Don't waste any more time with a shop assistant or mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Go to your friendly local bicycle shop for your next purchase and not Halfrauds...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I'd second asking to speak to a manager or, failing that, calling their head office. They're a big enough company to be able to remedy this in a way that satisfies you. At this stage with repeated issues, and giving them the chance to fix them I'd be asking for a refund. TBH, I've friends who've had with great experiences with bikes from Halfords but I have heard a few stories of poor experiences with their service/workshops.

Most local bike shops would be happy to take a look at it and at least quote the work needed. You don't want to be out of pocket, but if it's a cheap fix it might be worth saving the stress if you get nowhere with Halfords.

What's the current issue with the bottom bracket? Any other issues? Where you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Go down the not fit for purpose and ask for replacement. You may not get it but no harm asking. You should consider contacting Boardman bikes direct to complain about 1. The build quality and 2. The dealer after care. The manufacturer should be more than willing to protect there brand reputation.

I certainly would not go to another ship at own expense as Halfords can then say "warranty voided". I know it's not a car and warranty won't be as enforceable but that's how warranties work.

People have bought cars that are more time back in dealer than on the road and no new car offered. It more comply with cars but it shows there is no automatic right to a replacement. If you bought a kettle or toaster that did not work right you would have more right to replacement.

Best of luck

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

People have bought cars that are more time back in dealer than on the road and no new car offered. It more comply with cars but it shows there is no automatic right to a replacement. If you bought a kettle or toaster that did not work right you would have more right to replacement.
    Pretty sure your rights are the same, but a dealer or manufacturer is much more likely to replace a €20 toaster than a €20k car, or indeed a €500 bike

They do though have the option of repairing, replacing or refunding in each scenario, just the economics will massively influence which way they wish to go.

Agreed Beasty. Kinda surprised Halfords have not offered replacement and return the faulty bike to manufacturer. It's small beans to all except the consumer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Agreed Beasty. Kinda surprised Halfords have not offered replacement and return the faulty bike to manufacturer. It's small beans to all except the consumer!

Halfords are the manufacturer of Boardman they own it out right

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10875521/Chris-Boardman-sells-cycle-business-to-Halfords-for-20m.html

Manager first if you're out of luck there customer service!

Hope they sort it for you!

Sorry, I should have been clearer, the shop return the bike to the distributor Halfords Group who own the Boardman brand/company, but Halfords don't make bikes! The same way that Lidl/ Aldi / Penneys / Tesco etc. don't make any of the own brands they sell

We've had no clarification yet whether the OP has even asked for a refund. They've made it pretty clear they don't want a replacement and it's possible they have simply taken it into 2 different shops for the possibly minor, possibly not, issues which may be quite easy to sort out, but they may simply have been unlucky

We've had various complaints about Halfords over the years which is unsurprising given the number of shops they have. Equally we've had many praising the service they receive there. Given its scale and the variety of products and services it offers I suspect they will always struggle to offer quality service across all their stores. Equally we've had complaints about certain LBSs as well as plenty of praise for many such establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How many actual times has the bike been back?
    And how many separate problems have there been? You only mention two, the BB and the rear wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

How many actual times has the bike beenbavk
    And how many separate problems haveere been? You only mention two, the BB and the rear wheel.

I was thinking the same myself. Everyone seems to be jumping on the band wagon.

All I see is a faulty wheel which can happen to any brand at any price range. There was only one on here a few weeks back Mavic cosmic I think it was.

As for the BB what was the issue and what makes you think there's still an issue.

I understand halfords not offering a refund first as bikes devalue quite quickly and it's also a year old now.

OP can you clarify what the issue with the BB is? Also what bike/model is it?

Advertisement