Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Virtual Reality Headset

Options
  • 23-11-2016 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about the VR headset which is going on sale in Aldi tomorrow? It's priced at €24.99. Thinking about getting it for my son for Xmas but is it anything like the real virtual reality experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

These are the details.

https://www.aldi.ie/p/72459/0
    Features
    Compatible with Android and iOS devices with downloadable app available
    Watch 3D movies and games
    Recommended age 13+
    Adjustable lenses
    No power source required
    Compatible with 4”-6” smartphones
    Includes a carry case

Did a quick search and can't find any reviews or videos about it.

Just to note that it's not something like the vive or the oculus rift. This is like the samsung vr as you will need to use a compatible phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Not really gonna be great to be honest. It's just like the Samsung VR but cheaper. You'd be fairly limited to watching videos mostly. And I think the novelty generally wears off on that fairly quick. If he's into games something like a PSVR would be better and if he's got the PC powerful enough a Vive. Oculus is an option but that's rubbish compared to vive.

Phone wise for that an iPhone from iPhone 4 to 7

And most android phones have a 4inch screen or bigger. The only phone I can think of offhand that won't be compatible is the Samsung Note, and id be sketchy that something like the S6 Edge or S7 edge may not work because of the curved screen.

But I suppose to answer your question, no it's not. A fully immersive VR experience starts with PSVR and ends with HTC Vive. These things are grand as little play things just to get a cheap few days or weeks out of, but VR is not going to live and die on these devices. You're honestly better off with saving that 25 euro, then saving a further few 25's and buying a PSVR. It's one of the best devices for its price, and it doesn't carry the hefty price of a power PC if your son doesn't have one already. Most kids (if he's a kid) have a PS4 and it's more of a family experience. The HTC Vive is absolutely fantastic but it requires a set up in a large open space so not great for kids. (If he is one). The PSVR would be my recommendation anyway. But if he has a beastly PC, then the Vive. There's a rake of better things to spend 25 quid on OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

No where near as good as the samsung vr

Advertisement