Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's buying up all the property in Thurles and other towns

Options
  • 28-10-2016 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here noticed the number of sale agreed/sold signs around the town in recent weeks. Some of the most unusual ones snapped up were Sweeneys Bakery on Mitchel Street (empty since the 1990s), the small house beside the bus depot (owned/purchased left derelict by CIE when owner died in the 1990s) and the former Eircom building in Loughtagalla. Even the unlucky restaurant on Parnell Street has sold in recent weeks (see places to eat in Thurles thread) I wonder what's going to happen with these buildings in the coming months/years.

It's not only in Thurles, to a lesser degree Nenagh, Roscrea and Templemore.

Here's hoping the sites are put to good use and create employment or the much needed rental accommodation all the towns badly need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I heard the one beside the bus station was bought by a returned emigrant to live in, it was dirt cheap. Not the nicest location mind you..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Deedsie wrote: »
    Tipperary county council website has a really handy and user friendly search by map planning application database. Much better than any of the other councils.

Go onto the Tipperary county council website, go to planning on the drop down then click search by map. This will launch a web based GIS map.

You can then zoom in to the various municipal districts and view planning applications going back years and right up to today.

It takes a while to get use to to it but play around and you will figure it out.

When you find the houses you've mentioned above, click on them if they have a planning application, then click view scanned files and you'll be able to go through the planning application and any drawings, objections, appeals, submissions etc

Very cool to be able to go back and look at planning from 40-50 years ago. Great feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JMLB94

Didn't hear Sweeneys bakery was sold, that's a fine big site.

Heard that Dan Quirke (Town House Deli) bought the restaurant beside Scoil Ailbhe on Parnell Street.

Look at Friar St, think the Tipp Star said there were around 18 derelict buildings on the street, how could we allow that be people's first impression of Thurles coming out of the train station.

Not alone have the government ignored Thurles for generations, but our own Council is doing it now. Those buildings should be snapped up and developed for rental or retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

JMLB94 wrote: »
    Didn't hear Sweeneys bakery was sold, that's a fine big site.

Heard that Dan Quirke (Town House Deli) bought the restaurant beside Scoil Ailbhe on Parnell Street.

Look at Friar St, think the Tipp Star said there were around 18 derelict buildings on the street, how could we allow that be people's first impression of Thurles coming out of the train station.

Not alone have the government ignored Thurles for generations, but our own Council is doing it now. Those buildings should be snapped up and developed for rental or retail.

What are the Council going to do with them ?

If they are not viable for private developers, why would they be a viable option for the Council ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JMLB94

I'm sure some of the units could be developed by the Council and rented to students attending the college. The Council have no problem renting houses off people, especially people who bought second homes, and then giving them to people who are on the dole and can't be arsed working for a living. I'm not saying establish a tenement type situation, but I'm sure there's a viable rental market in Thurles or at least a hostel type market for Students with proper rent control etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

JMLB94 wrote: »
    I'm sure some of the units could be developed by the Council and rented to students attending the college. The Council have no problem renting houses off people, especially people who bought second homes, and then giving them to people who are on the dole and can't be arsed working for a living. I'm not saying establish a tenement type situation, but I'm sure there's a viable rental market in Thurles or at least a hostel type market for Students with proper rent control etc.

Renting to students attending college has nothing to do with the Council (nor should it)
    As to the viability of it, if there was any money to be made, I'm sure that there would be developers queuing up to buy these sites.

Must say that your comment about "people who are on the dole and can't be arsed working for a living" is a bit of an insult to anyone who finds themselves in bad circumstances following the economy crash and all that went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Vizzy wrote: »
    Renting to students attending college has nothing to do with the Council (nor should it)
    As to the viability of it, if there was any money to be made, I'm sure that there would be developers queuing up to buy these sites.

Must say that your comment about "people who are on the dole and can't be arsed working for a living" is a bit of an insult to anyone who finds themselves in bad circumstances following the economy crash and all that went with it.

it migh not be the right thing to say but its pritty true. there are a lot of those types in thurles.

Advertisement